Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell County 30 - Whitley County 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.

Nick Britt had 16 carries for 229 yards and 3 TD's.
Heck of a game by Mr. Britt
Nick Britt had 220+ rushing yards and 3-TDs on 15 or so carries. (Never heard the final stats)

Whitley drove the field good, but the red zone defense held them on 4 occasions.
Congrats Russell Co.

I thought Whitley was a little overated coming into the season.
Stardust Wrote:Heck of a game by Mr. Britt

That it was, he even had to double down and play defense on several series. #44 Bryant for Whitley Co is a beast of a FB, he just had to carry to much of the load (as well as several of the players on RCHS' defense) and was worn down later in the game.

As I stated a couple of days back, Britt is the real deal. If he finds a seam or the corner, there aren't many who will reel him in.
Congrats to the Lakers and good luck to Whitley. See you next week.
Congrats Russell Co. on the win.
I called it. I knew Whitley was way to young to field a competetive this year and with this schedule i only see 1 or 2 wins the entire year. We marched it down the field so many times only to be stopped in the red zone everytime, and by our own fault half the time. Fumbles, dropped balls, bad snaps. It all comes with having a young team.
Its sad that we cant get more than 35 kids out to play football and cant keep the ones we do have. Thats pathetic numbers and size for a 5A school.
Somethings gotta give....
Good luck the rest of the season to Russell Co...

As for Rock, (LWC, PapaGrit, Rocksolid) I believe Rock will literally beat Whitley by 50 plus.
Believe me when i say Rock may be the best team in the mountains, if it wasnt for Harlan Co, and maybe Bell. Im excited to see the way you all throw us around. The only win i see for Whitley this year is Lynn Camp, and MAYBE Letcher if were lucky.
Whitley will not beat LCC!
Russell Co. 30 Whitley Co. 0
Whitley Co. 0 0 0 0 0
Russell Co. 7 0 16 7 30
Scoring summary:
R--Nick Britt 45 run (Lucas Williams kick); R--Britt 79 run (kick failed); R--Blake Sellis 40 interception return (Williams kick); R--Williams 29 field goal; R--Britt 51 run (Williams kick). Records: Russell Co. 2-0, Whitley Co. 0-1.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/17/13961...z1WEQ62Shu
Didn't expect Whitley to win, but '0' surprises me a bit.
Dungy Wrote:Didn't expect Whitley to win, but '0' surprises me a bit.

Totally agree.
We are young in spots, but we are not very good defensively and we have to improve on tackling.
Lakers have had a strong offense for the last couple years....but to see the defense pitch a shut out against a 5A team with some good athletes was exciting. The next few years of Russell County football are going to be fun!!
This game really blew up in the 3rd. Whitley received the opening kick and marched the ball down field with a five minute drive only to be stopped on 4th-down attempt. Three plays later Britt was in the end zone and had 60-yards on two runs. The remainder of the the 1st half was just pretty good defense. Whitley had a couple of opportunities to tie it up before half, but RCHS just man'd up and got the stops.

In the third, Russell got the ball and Britt immediately scored on the 79-yard run. On the kick-off, Whitley attempted to run it out of the endzone only to be stopped on the 10. A couple of plays later, Blake Ellis intercepted a pass and returned it 40-yards for the score. On the kick-off, Whitley tried to bring it out of the end zone again, but were stopped on the 5. Whitley really just kept digging their own holes, and didn't have the man power to dig back out. Whitley probably had the ball for 30+ minutes, and when you keep coming up short you become deflated physically and mentally.

RunItUpTheGut, don't sell your team short. Russell Co. is as good as most of the mountain teams that you guys normally play. To hold us to 30 you have a pretty good defense, and as I said earlier Bryant is a beast. If they can just come up with a game plan that doesn't require him to carry the ball 90% of the time, they will become much better. It's hard to finish 95 yard drives in 90-degree weather when you have one guy constantly running up the middle. Goal line offense just usually isn't too successful from your own 10-yard line.

This season is early, Whitley will be better than you think.
laker20 Wrote:This game really blew up in the 3rd. Whitley received the opening kick and marched the ball down field with a five minute drive only to be stopped on 4th-down attempt. Three plays later Britt was in the end zone and had 60-yards on two runs. The remainder of the the 1st half was just pretty good defense. Whitley had a couple of opportunities to tie it up before half, but RCHS just man'd up and got the stops.

In the third, Russell got the ball and Britt immediately scored on the 79-yard run. On the kick-off, Whitley attempted to run it out of the endzone only to be stopped on the 10. A couple of plays later, Blake Ellis intercepted a pass and returned it 40-yards for the score. On the kick-off, Whitley tried to bring it out of the end zone again, but were stopped on the 5. Whitley really just kept digging their own holes, and didn't have the man power to dig back out. Whitley probably had the ball for 30+ minutes, and when you keep coming up short you become deflated physically and mentally.

RunItUpTheGut, don't sell your team short. Russell Co. is as good as most of the mountain teams that you guys normally play. To hold us to 30 you have a pretty good defense, and as I said earlier Bryant is a beast. If they can just come up with a game plan that doesn't require him to carry the ball 90% of the time, they will become much better. It's hard to finish 95 yard drives in 90-degree weather when you have one guy constantly running up the middle. Goal line offense just usually isn't too successful from your own 10-yard line.

Why were they letting Whitley run the ball out of the end zone? That is an automatic touchback in high school unless they caught it outside of the endzone and ran in and back out.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Why were they letting Whitley run the ball out of the end zone? That is an automatic touchback in high school unless they caught it outside of the endzone and ran in and back out.

They were catching the ball on the 1 or 2 yard line rather than letting it go into the end zone.
I thought this had the potential to be a competitive game but,I was obviously wrong! Looks like Whitley will be going through some growing pains this season!!

Congrats Russell Co!

Unregistered

Whitley spends too much time in practice running 1st string offense against 11that are left over with another 7 or 8 standing and watching. THEY would get better results breaking down and doing squad work. The game is about blocking and tackling. If you have to block and tackle studs on Friday night, you need to block and tackle studs in practice all week. They would also improve their numbers if they kept all their players engaged the entire practice period rather than having them stand and watch. They would also improve their numbers if they would stop playing varsity starters in jv games. The jv should be reserved for kids not getting much varsity time so they can get PT and improve as players . Kids lose interest when they are standing around. Kids also learn more in squad drills where they get individual instruction. If you are going to scrimmage 1st team O against best of those left it is best to play 14 or 15 kids on defense. If first team O can score against 14 or 15 every day in practice their odds of scoring against 11 on Fridays is better.
laker20 Wrote:This game really blew up in the 3rd. Whitley received the opening kick and marched the ball down field with a five minute drive only to be stopped on 4th-down attempt. Three plays later Britt was in the end zone and had 60-yards on two runs. The remainder of the the 1st half was just pretty good defense. Whitley had a couple of opportunities to tie it up before half, but RCHS just man'd up and got the stops.

They honestly couldnt get any worse on there forms and techniques right now.

On your comment of getting the ball somewhere else. Thats Whitleys offense. Thats what we do. Ask anybody, its pound pound pound with the fullback and then throw in a sweep, and you may even see an option every now and then.
Our offense is designed to be derived and set up off the full back and while Bryant is a hoss, hes not as fast as the fullbacks wevenhad in the past making it hard for him to break open.

Interesting fact. Whitley dominated almost every statistic in this game. Except the scoreboard. We just couldnt score.
Total Offense
Whitley County 368 Russell County 315
Rushing Yards
Whitley County 341 Russell County 295
First Downs
Whitley County 16 Russell County 9

But when all thats compiled, the scoreboard is all that matters and right now Whitley cant finish drives.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:They honestly couldnt get any worse on there forms and techniques right now.

On your comment of getting the ball somewhere else. Thats Whitleys offense. Thats what we do. Ask anybody, its pound pound pound with the fullback and then throw in a sweep, and you may even see an option every now and then.
Our offense is designed to be derived and set up off the full back and while Bryant is a hoss, hes not as fast as the fullbacks wevenhad in the past making it hard for him to break open.

Interesting fact. Whitley dominated almost every statistic in this game. Except the scoreboard. We just couldnt score.
Total Offense
Whitley County 368 Russell County 315
Rushing Yards
Whitley County 341 Russell County 295
First Downs
Whitley County 16 Russell County 9

But when all thats compiled, the scoreboard is all that matters and right now Whitley cant finish drives.
Runitupthegut your right about Whitley; however, in a few weeks they will be much better, I am sure. The problem is with their schedule, much improved is not going to equal many wins. Rock, Somerset, and Boyle in non-district play, Harlan and (apparently) a much improved Perry in district play. I think Whitley will be a good team by the end of the year. I am just afraid with that schedule it will not show.