Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ryle: Five questions with Travis Elliott
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ryle senior running back Travis Elliott has been playing varsity football since his freshman year. Thanks in part to that early start, he is within reach of passing former Boone County standout Shaun Alexander for the most career rushing yards in Northern Kentucky high school history.

The 5-foot-11, 215-pound Elliott combines power and deceptive speed (he's been timed at 4.58 in the 40-yard dash). After rushing for 173 yards in three quarters in a season-opening win over Cooper Friday, he needs 2,087 yards to eclipse the record of 6,662 yards set by Alexander, the former Seattle Seahawk, from 1991-94.

Elliott, who rushed for 2,215 yards and 32 touchdowns last season, has committed to playing college ball at Western Kentucky.

The Enquirer caught up with Elliott after practice Monday to discuss his pursuit of Alexander's record.

Question: When did you first play running back?

Answer: Back in the third grade. I was a quarterback before that. My Pee-Wee coaches saw I had some running ability and just put me there. It felt almost natural just taking the ball and running downhill, hitting people and trying to bounce off them.

Q: Your coach (Bryson Warner) has described your running style as "angry." How do you describe it?

A: Angry with some elusiveness. It all depends on the situation. If it was one on one in the open field, I'd try to make a move and then outrun them, but if it's a linebacker in the middle of a pile, I'm going to try to run through him. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably run them over.

Q: How much do you know about Shaun Alexander, and how much does breaking his record mean?

A: I know a lot about him. I followed him through his NFL career. I actually met him one time in the weight room at Boone County when I was in the second or third grade, and he seemed like a nice guy. I got his autograph. I still have it. I remember he always signed his name and put a Bible verse with it. It really means a lot to me (to break the record), but I'm not worried about that right now, I'm worried about winning games for my team. I'd like the record, sure, but I'd rather us win games.

Q: What NFL or college running back reminds you of yourself or that you're a particular fan?

A: Peyton Hillis (of the Cleveland Browns, who is a powerfully built 6 foot 1, 240-pounder who rushed for 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns in his first season as a starter). I love his work ethic. I saw an interview of him and he talked about being in the weight room almost 24/7. He's a team first guy who runs to daylight and also has speed.

Q: You were being recruited by the University of Kentucky, Louisville and Cincinnati among others so why did you commit so quickly to Western Kentucky?

A: I am completely at peace with it. I could just tell when I got out of the car at that university it's where I wanted to be. It just felt like right place. Coach (Willie) Taggart was running backs coach at Stanford when Toby Gerhart (who runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2009) was there and says I remind him of him. I hear it a lot from people who said I should have waited, but I like what he's doing there and I can't wait.

Richard Skinner http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...108240343/