Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Playing "Out of State"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started to do some research, but it was very time consuming. I am curious which KY teams play teams from other states and what are the Pros and Cons. I would assume that most of the positives are geographical, but I wonder if some of the reason is to play tougher competition?

Here are some of the ones I know of:

Mayfield v Evansville Harrison, IN
Middlesboro v Hancock County, TN
Boyle Co. v Hancock County, TN
Highlands v Cincinnati Elder, OH
Eastern v Jeffersonville, IN
Trinity v Brentwood Academy, TN
Henderson Co. v Evansville F.J. Reitz, IN
Ft. Campbell v Clarksville, TN
Warren Co. v Trousdale Co. TN
Murry v Lake Co. Tn
Fulton City v Scott's Hill, TN
Green Co. v Evansville Central, IN
Harlan Co. v Morristown-Hamblen East, TN
Ballard v Byrnes, SC
Pikeville v Tellico Plains, TN
Mayfield v .Evansville Harrison, IN
Christian Co. v Clarksville, TN
St. X v Riverdale, TN
Bishop Brossart v Middletown Christian, OH
For most teams it is geographical and for some it is for better competition. There are alot of teams in the Louisville and Northern Kentucky area that can go across the border and play teams from Ohio that are better than most they will face in Kentucky.

Williamsburg is kind of an example of geographical. They will be playing Jellico, Oneida, and Oliver Springs which are all teams from Tennessee. The one downfall that stands out is that you can usually get more scouting information about in-state teams versus out-of-state teams.
Campbell County routinely plays Cincinnati teams. This year is is Milford
Occasionally Letcher Central will play a team from Southwest Virginia because it is only 12 miles from the school to the Virginia state line. They play teams from Virginia and Tennessee more frequently in Basketball and Baseball.
Raceland play Sciotoville Community, OH
Russell and Ashland play Ironton, OH this year.
Harlan County plays Morristown Hamblen East, TN

Lee High VA
Gate City Va

Gatlinburg Pittman, TN was going to be but they backed out.

They've played Powell Valley VA and Grayson Co. VA in the past three years also.
smee Wrote:I started to do some research, but it was very time consuming. I am curious which KY teams play teams from other states and what are the Pros and Cons. I would assume that most of the positives are geographical, but I wonder if some of the reason is to play tougher competition?

Here are some of the ones I know of:

Mayfield v Evansville Harrison, IN
Middlesboro v Hancock County, TN
Boyle Co. v Hancock County, TN
Highlands v Cincinnati Elder, OH
Eastern v Jeffersonville, IN
Trinity v Brentwood Academy, TN
Henderson Co. v Evansville F.J. Reitz, IN
Ft. Campbell v Clarksville, TN
Warren Co. v Trousdale Co. TN
Murry v Lake Co. Tn
Fulton City v Scott's Hill, TN
Green Co. v Evansville Central, IN
Harlan Co. v Morristown-Hamblen East, TN
Ballard v Byrnes, SC
Pikeville v Tellico Plains, TN
Mayfield v .Evansville Harrison, IN
Christian Co. v Clarksville, TN
St. X v Riverdale, TN
Bishop Brossart v Middletown Christian, OH

Knox Central vs Lancaster Christain (Nashville Tn)
As the others have stated, it often makes good geographical sense. A team needs a game and can often find it close by across the river. I am from Indiana, so I like to see the Kentucky teams playing some Indiana schools. I'd say they provide some good competition.
East Ridge usually plays a couple of VA teams from Haysi, Grundy or Hurley, which also plays Phelps.
Here is a compiled list of the out-of-state opponents for the Mountain Teams.

Williamsburg - Jellico TN, Oneida TN, Oliver Springs TN
Hazard - Clintwood VA
Jenkins - Tug Valley WV
Phelps - Montcalm WV, Twin Valley VA, Hyasi VA
Pikeville - Tellico Plains TN, Swain Co. NC
Middlesboro - Hancock Co. TN
Betsy Layne - Hannan WV
Corbin - Karns TN
East Ridge - Hyasi VA, Hurley VA, Grundy VA, Tug Valley WV
Knox Central - Gatlinburg-Pittman TN, Clinton TN
Johnson Central - Logan WV
Harlan Co. - Morristown East TN, Gate City VA, Lee Co.-Jonesville VA
Paducah Tilghman plays Evansville Reitz and Clarksville Tn. Northeast this year.
Tica Wrote:Paducah Tilghman plays Evansville Reitz and Clarksville Tn. Northeast this year.

the clarksville team is usally good, they been in hoptown/christian county bowl games and spanked both of them..
For Harlan County it's about filling a schedule without driving 4 hours. I'm going to need a new vehicle after this season as it is...
Bear_Paw Wrote:For Harlan County it's about filling a schedule without driving 4 hours. I'm going to need a new vehicle after this season as it is...

Same for K.N.O.X they play 3 teams from Tennessee.
highschoolfan Wrote:Same for K.N.O.X they play 3 teams from Tennessee.

We feel 'em. Glad the two got together and played. This will be one of the best games in the Mountains this year.
Ashland is also playing George Washington High School out of Charleston, WV this year. I believe they won a state title in their class last year or was in the finals, I can't remember which one.
So it appears that most of the games are scheduled because of geography. The one that does not seem logical is the Boyle Handcock Co. Tn game. It is a 4hr drive for one of our states top teams to play one of the worst teams in their state?
smee Wrote:So it appears that most of the games are scheduled because of geography. The one that does not seem logical is the Boyle Handcock Co. Tn game. It is a 4hr drive for one of our states top teams to play one of the worst teams in their state?

Boyle had an open date and had given up on filling it when Hancock called and offered. Since Boyle had done a home and home with Christian County the last couple of years which was a similar, if not longer drive, Boyle said yes.

The game will be a mismatch, but it was either that or not play anyone that week.
Hazard -vs- Clintwood, VA

Hazard had to get an out of state game because they couldn't get anyone around here to play them that it's already playing them... Only had 8 games, Clintwood had to make 9...
Pikeville

Already been mentioned but Pikeville will play two out of state teams this season:

Pike County Bowl vs. Tellico Plains, TN @ Home

And a random away game vs. Swain County, NC
This will be Boyle's first trip outside of Kentucky (as far as I know). I think the only reason we moved to an out of state team is because we couldn't find a game in state.
I'm from Harlan County, and they had a tough time scheduling opponents this year. I wish they would have tried to play Alcoa, TN, who also had trouble scheduling games. I think that would have been a good 1st game of the season, just to see where you are at, and to know that you won't see an opponent with the numbers, speed, size that Aloca has the rest of the season. You could only benefit either way, from a win, or a loss...