Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NewCath is Hightchew's team now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110...ionstories

Last season, Newport Central Catholic quarterback Brady Hightchew often talked to star running back Chris Kelly about being a team leader.

They also talked periodically about that this summer, and Kelly made one thing clear to Hightchew: It’s your team now, Brady.

• Class 2A team previews

The defending Class 2A state champion Thoroughbreds are adjusting to life after Kelly, the 2010 state finals most valuable player who rushed for 1,210 yards and 21 touchdowns as a senior. NewCath, which went 13-2 last season, returns just three starters on offense.

But coach Eddie Eviston is confident he has the next take-charge team leader to help put the Thoroughbreds in position to make another run at the state title. Hightchew enters his third season as the starting quarterback, and as a junior he threw for 1,350 yards and 10 TDs and rushed for 715 yards and nine scores.

“I feel like I have a lot on my shoulders,” Hightchew said. “I want to be the type of leader Chris was. He would always lead by example. He would never get down on anyone.”

Eviston expects he’ll be asking his quarterback to run more often this season.

After all, Hightchew is the only skill-position starter back. The other returning starters are senior guard Ross Birkenhauer and junior center Brady Thacker.

“Brady (Hightchew) has never really had to talk very much, but he realizes this year he has to do more, because we’re dealing with an inexperienced group,” said Eviston, who became the first rookie head coach since 1993 to lead his team to a state title. “He’s definitely a general on the field.”

Eviston said his biggest concern is who is going to catch the ball. NewCath lost its top four receivers, and the Thoroughbreds are counting on senior wide receiver Nick Woltermann to help fill the void.

Junior Dylan Hayes is the frontrunner to replace Kelly, who is now playing football at Eastern Kentucky. Hayes mostly played a receiver role last season, but he did have four rushing TDs. Junior Mason Myers could help carry some of the load, too. He rushed for 171 yards and three TDs last year.

“If it came down to crunch time last season, we felt comfortable putting the ball in Chris’ hands,” said Eviston, the Enquirer Northern Kentucky co-coach of the year in 2010. “It’s just an unknown right now. Are they going to be able to step up?”

On defense, the story is much the same: How does NewCath replace Kelly? The middle linebacker led the team in tackles, earning first-team defense on The Enquirer all-area team.

The Thoroughbreds, who return six starters on defense, also will look to Hightchew to help fill Kelly’s void. Hightchew is slated to be a starting safety after not playing much on defense during the 2010 regular season. Hightchew played both ways most of the playoffs, so he said he is not concerned about fatigue. He had two interceptions last season.