Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tubby Smith In Line For Charlotte Job? If he did leave who would replace him?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
story from: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...lotte_job/
Quote: Tubby Smith In Line For Charlotte Job?

NY Daily News - Bernie Bickerstaff, suffering through another losing campaign in Charlotte, with Emeka Okafor sidelined by ankle troubles, might not return to the sidelines next season.

Word is the Bobcats are already looking at Kentucky's Tubby Smith to be Bickerstaff's successor. Smith has been up for other NBA jobs, including the Sixers' about 10 years ago. If Smith joined the Bobcats, Bickerstaff would stay on in his current GM role. [url=javascript:rgmow('/rgmow.php?aid=38993','38993')][READ][/url]

Lets say Tubby did decide to leave UK for whatever reason. Who do you feel would replace him? Who would your like to seeing leading the cats in battle?
I don't think he'll accept the job, but if he did, I'd want Pat Riley to become the coach of the cats...
Pat Riley is a good choice, but my favorite coach in America at the moment is Mark Few from Gonzaga. I beleive he would do a great job at UK. That being said, Coach Smith isnt going anywhere IMO.
If Tubby does leave this year it would be on his own terms.

I feel Mark Few from Gonzaga would be an excellent hire. He players an uptempo style and is able to bring in great players to a mid-major conference.

I think UK fans would love his style. Mark Few seems to have a great eye for blue collar talent as well. Those talents that will bust thier ass for you from tip off to the final buzzered.

Like I mentioned , I think he bring us the type of talent "blue collar" that UK is missing. You know those Travis Fords, Richie Farmers, Cameron Mills, John Pelphreys, Scott Padgents, Jeff Sheppards.. etc.. These players might not be the most athletic players. But they give you 100 percent the entire game and take pride in playing for a program. Just look at Adam Morrison. God knows he isnt the quickest and most athletic player in basketball. But By God he bust his ass and works on improving his weak areas.. Plus all these types of players could shoot.

IMO, Few is just what the doctor ordered. That is if Tubby leaves.
"corndog23" Wrote:Pat Riley is a good choice, but my favorite coach in America at the moment is Mark Few from Gonzaga. I beleive he would do a great job at UK. That being said, Coach Smith isnt going anywhere IMO.

Smile You took the words right out of my mouth corndog:rock:
"alfus21" Wrote:I don't think he'll accept the job, but if he did, I'd want Pat Riley to become the coach of the cats...

You never know. I think it would be a possibility alfus.. That is if Riley wins a championship at Miami this year. That would be a good way to hang up his NBA legacy and return to UK to coach..

One could only hope.
"torQQue" Wrote:You never know. I think it would be a possibility alfus.. That is if Riley wins a championship at Miami this year. That would be a good way to hang up his NBA legacy and return to UK to coach..

One could only hope.

Riley already said he won't coach in the NBA again after this season....From what I've read Tubby is one of the many choices of the Charlotte job, and I don't think he's ready for the NBA, though if UK fans keep bothering him he might do it...

That being said, I don't think Mark Few would leave Gonzaga though he is a great coach....He knows he has it made there, and will always dominate that conference and always win 25 games a year...I just think he likes it too much there, plus I believe he is on a long-term contract with Zaga and that would probably be pretty hard to break...

I just really hope Coach Smith stays, because there's not many great coaches available out there, and that's the key...Kentucky might be hurting bad if Smith leaves and Kentucky has to scramble for a replacement...
Either of these would be a good fit at Kentucky.

1. Bruce Pearl (Tennessee)
2. Tom Izzo (Michigan State)
3. Mark Few (Gonzaga)
4. Pat Riley (Miami Heat)
5. John Beilein (West Virginia)
6. Bill Self (Illinois)
"BelfryPride" Wrote:Either of these would be a good fit at Kentucky.

3. Mark Few (Gonzaga)
6. Bill Self (Illinois)

I agree with all those except Bruce. He is very upbeat and enthusiastic about coaching the VOLS.. But I don't think he has the resume quite yet for the UK job.
"BelfryPride" Wrote:Either of these would be a good fit at Kentucky.

3. Mark Few (Gonzaga)
6. Bill Self (Illinois)

I think of those candidates, that Riley is a possibility because he is available after this season and would have large support from UK fans...

Beilein is also a possibility because he will lose some talent after this year, and WVU could be down...

I also think Self would be a small posibility because of his great success and that Illionois loses Augustine and Brown after this year....

Pearl is in his first year at Tennessee so there is no way he would leave after one season..

Izzo wants to spend the rest of his career in MSU and has a great thing going on there with great recruits for a couple years to come...

I also think Few isn't a possibility though he is a great coach, he is very faithful to Zaga and their fans, and I don't see him leaving the mid-major conf. straight to UK...Way too big of a risk...
"torQQue" Wrote:I agree with all those except Bruce. He is very upbeat and enthusiastic about coaching the VOLS.. But I don't think he has the resume quite yet for the UK job.

Didnt they say that about another guy for tennessee........uhhhhhhh i think it was LOFTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"golfman42" Wrote:Didnt they say that about another guy for tennessee........uhhhhhhh i think it was LOFTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, they did.. I also heard Morehead-St. did as well.

I can understand why Tubby didn't recruit him. He is not much bigger than Stockton. Probably thought it would be a Stockton type player all over again. UT just got lucky landing a diamond in the rough like him.
"torQQue" Wrote:You never know. I think it would be a possibility alfus.. That is if Riley wins a championship at Miami this year. That would be a good way to hang up his NBA legacy and return to UK to coach..

One could only hope.

Riley, I think would be a coach that would be welcomed with open arms. Because he would be coming home. BUT, If he didn't. What about bring one of our own home, who has had success at the D-1 level, ie.. John Pelphrey or maybe Travis Ford. I know, I know. Off the wall, but it would be nice to see ayoung coach come in who appreaciates and knows the feeling and tradition of being True Blue. I think they would have much more success at getting our Top D-1 recruits wanting to put the Blue back on instead of throwing on the Red! I agree with what was said earlier about finding the kids that will work their asses off! Such as your Farmer, Pelphrey, Feldhouse, Ford, Mills, Padget, Chapman and Bennetts! GOD, That's when we ALL loved to watch our Wildcats, cause we all knew these guys and loved them!!
Maybe Rick Pitino would try to take the JOB but i doubt it I'd say BILLY DONOVAN(florida) !!!
I do not want Ricky P back on the sidelines for the cats. he already left us once. as for Billy D, i wouldnt like losing in the first and second round of the tourny EVERY year. i think people like billy d because he reminds them of ricky p. i dont want either one here at kentucky.
"blackcat_student" Wrote:Maybe Rick Pitino would try to take the JOB but i doubt it I'd say BILLY DONOVAN(florida) !!!

This isn't a fantasy thread blackcat, Rick Pitino has a job already and is never coming back to UK...Donovan is set at Florida...
The way UK is playing right now, having lost both games to Vandy for the first time since 74', hopefully this would be his last season. I would love to see Riley come back to UK and coach.
It's looking rough for UK this season, and I can't figure it out, but Tubby's system works..It has the last 3 seasons..These guys just arent doing anything on the defensive side of the court...Tubby's defense works, but these guys don't even try...
"alfus21" Wrote:It's looking rough for UK this season, and I can't figure it out, but Tubby's system works..It has the last 3 seasons..These guys just arent doing anything on the defensive side of the court...Tubby's defense works, but these guys don't even try...

Exactly, they play with no heart.
"blackcat" Wrote:Exactly, they play with no heart.

You can't FORCE people to have heart...If we lived in a dream world that'd be nice but we don't...Coaches can't force players to play with heart and determination which is something EVERY other Tubby team has done...
"alfus21" Wrote:Rick Pitino has a job already and is never coming back to UK...Donovan is set at Florida...

What makes you so sure of that !!! Plus I didnt say that RP is coming back I said he would "Maybe" (Keyword) try to take the JOB!
"blackcat_student" Wrote:What makes you so sure of that !!! Plus I didnt say that RP is coming back I said he would "Maybe" (Keyword) try to take the JOB!

Why would he TRY to take the UK job? He's already been here once...He isn't coming back...Keep dreaming though..
"alfus21" Wrote:You can't FORCE people to have heart...If we lived in a dream world that'd be nice but we don't...Coaches can't force players to play with heart and determination which is something EVERY other Tubby team has done...

Exactly, it can't be taught.
Pitino has been rumored before that he would love to come back and coach kentucky
"golfman42" Wrote:Pitino has been rumored before that he would love to come back and coach kentucky

I've heard this too, and he said that it was the worst mistake he had ever made leaving Kentucky.
I would take Billy D or Pitino! They may have jobs, but they would have a better one with UK.
I get so frustrated when I see Tubby applauding his team after a turnover or a missed free-throw.......what is wrong with telling them they better do better or they will come out! I know Tubby has won 79+% of his games, but everything comes to an end and I feel his tenure at UK is coming to an end. I like the guy, he just seems to have lost the edge and needs to move on so he can start over and so can UK. As a coach, I would like to see Izzo from Michigan State.
if u want to win talk billy donovan hes young and full of energy give him a program that is a basketball school he wood excell ne ways if they offered him the job i doubt he wood take it all his starters a florida are sophomores and juniors
I would love to see Riley come to U.K. if Tubby was to leave. To me he is everything that the University of Kentucky stands for, championships and class.
God! Why does everyone wany Donovan. He is a terrible tourny coach. People want rid of Tubby because he we are having a bad year, so why bring in another coach who is having a bad year and whos team prob isn't gonna make their own conference tourny. Oh yeah thats your fabolous Pitino I am tlaking about.
Pages: 1 2