Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What are your thoughts on school charging a Athletic fee for students to participate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Give us your thoughts.
I would not support pay for play. How would we take care of our low income athletes? I think that is what a good athletic director is for, to secure sponsorships for the schools athletic programs. I would be in favor of a deposit for equipment. Kinda like some band programs have students pay a deposit on the instrument to secure it is returned.
Wow, I didn't know that there were any schools that didn't. I could not tell you of a school that does not have an athletic fee.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I didn't know that there were any schools that didn't. I could not tell you of a school that does not have an athletic fee.

SD, I hope this is sarcasm as I was never charged an athletic fee unless it be something related to uni's, trips, etc.
I don't believe in this, athletics is for the kids and it is for fun.
That be like wiping before you poop, it just wouldn't make sense.
35 bucks is a lot less than the potential ten's of thousands the insurance could cover from an injury in a school sponsored sporting injury.
Across the river in Ohio, it's pretty common. Some schools who are suffering from lack of operating expenses will charge hundreds of dollars just to participate.
Back in the 70s we were actually paid $20 per week to play football through a program called NYC or MYC. We were supposed to be sweeping the halls and cutting weeds but if you played football you only had to attend practice.

My son played three varsity sports (basketball, track, and soccer) in high school. The only cost he ever had was for $40 for a track uniform, and he got to keep the uniform.

On the other hand, cheerleaders at our local high school must pay or raise $5000 per year. Dance team is about $2,000 per year.
My daughters school is implementing a $ 50 fee for all student athletes. The kids will get a sports pass to all athletic events included with the fee.
I have never heard of this before. The parents at Letcher Central raise money to take of everything. Selling items, food booths at festivals, golf scrambles etc. I think every student at the school should get in free at home games. When I was at Morehead State, they let every student in at home games in every sport for free with a student ID.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I have never heard of this before. The parents at Letcher Central raise money to take of everything. Selling items, food booths at festivals, golf scrambles etc. I think every student at the school should get in free at home games. When I was at Morehead State, they let every student in at home games in every sport for free with a student ID.

If Morehead was anything like EKU, you actually paid a "student activity fee" when you registered. The student activity fee covered your admission into home sporting events.
rojas Wrote:If Morehead was anything like EKU, you actually paid a "student activity fee" when you registered. The student activity fee covered your admission into home sporting events.

The fee was so small that you still come out way ahead if you attended several of their athletic events. That is not counting the non-athletic or concerts that was free or heavily discounted.
Wow, I guess I am truly amazed at this. At Campbell County the school fee is $65 for the first sport, $35 for any subsequent sport. This is a staple in NKY schools, I guess I never knew this was not common for all schools.
I dont agree with it at all. It may not be many but some low income students could be left out because of the fee. I dont know how it is every where else, but at P'burg (most) parents spend as much time as the athletes do at practice in volunteer work for fund raisers etc for there respective team sports.
^ I highly doubt that low income students would be subjected to the fee. Students that I receiving financial aid such as the lunch program or reduced school fees would not be subjected to participation fees.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I guess I am truly amazed at this. At Campbell County the school fee is $65 for the first sport, $35 for any subsequent sport. This is a staple in NKY schools, I guess I never knew this was not common for all schools.

No more amazed then me that pay to play exists. I have known about this for a while because I have had friends move into the Southern Ohio area and they have complained about this. Money is not a problem for them but it was a new concept that they had never encountered. I think in some Ohio school districts, it is even more money.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:No more amazed then me that pay to play exists. I have known about this for a while because I have had friends move into the Southern Ohio area and they have complained about this. Money is not a problem for them but it was a new concept that they had never encountered. I think in some Ohio school districts, it is even more money.

Well that is just rediculous IMO.
I think it's a good idea and I think it's necessary. Anything that helps lessen the amount of money coming directly from the school to pay for sports is a plus. And most kids that are on free and reduced lunch or most federal assistance programs usually don't have to pay the fee to play.

For me the argument is how much it cost per athlete. I've ssen schools that charge between 60-80 dollars for 1 sport, then maybe half that price for the other sports you play. Some schools charge one 1 fee that covers all sports you play. Then there are schools in some areas (Cincinnati) that charge 150-300 dollars per sport. I'd say a fair amount is 30-40 dollars per sport.
toussaints Wrote:I think it's a good idea and I think it's necessary. Anything that helps lessen the amount of money coming directly from the school to pay for sports is a plus. And most kids that are on free and reduced lunch or most federal assistance programs usually don't have to pay the fee to play.

For me the argument is how much it cost per athlete. I've ssen schools that charge between 60-80 dollars for 1 sport, then maybe half that price for the other sports you play. Some schools charge one 1 fee that covers all sports you play. Then there are schools in some areas (Cincinnati) that charge 150-300 dollars per sport. I'd say a fair amount is 30-40 dollars per sport.

Explain to me why it is necessary. If you have a school set up where each sports program supports itself through fundraisers, the gate, etc. Why do you need the fees. At Letcher Central, every single dime spent on uniforms, travel, etc is through fundraisers, gates, concessions etc. The only dime the school system spends is on the coaching salaries.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:Explain to me why it is necessary. If you have a school set up where each sports program supports itself through fundraisers, the gate, etc. Why do you need the fees. At Letcher Central, every single dime spent on uniforms, travel, etc is through fundraisers, gates, concessions etc. The only dime the school system spends is on the coaching salaries.

sorry i meant its necessary for some schools, especially for independent and private schools that share their county with other schools. Take Covington Holy Cross, a small Catholic school in Kenton County. The gate and concessions they collect at games isn't enough to keep the program running, so they have to fundraise, which they do, but their sharing neighborhoods with Holmes, CovCath, Dixie, Scott, and Simon Kenton. All of which also fundraise to help pay for sports. Its easy when you're a big county school and the only other school close by is a small independent, but for schools that share the county with a few other schools, its not as simple. Plus, its nice to have alittle something just in case things don't work the way you expected to.
toussaints Wrote:sorry i meant its necessary for some schools, especially for independent and private schools that share their county with other schools. Take Covington Holy Cross, a small Catholic school in Kenton County. The gate and concessions they collect at games isn't enough to keep the program running, so they have to fundraise, which they do, but their sharing neighborhoods with Holmes, CovCath, Dixie, Scott, and Simon Kenton. All of which also fundraise to help pay for sports. Its easy when you're a big county school and the only other school close by is a small independent, but for schools that share the county with a few other schools, its not as simple. Plus, its nice to have alittle something just in case things don't work the way you expected to.

Is it a matter of how much state funding these other schools get and they level of income of the student body? Can fundraising truly fund all schools activities. I've heard the magic word of fundraising your own sport, but it sure seems like fundraising would come up short if ALL schools had to fundraise. In CKY & NKY, there is probably less funding from the state than there is in the areas of the state with minimal family incomes.

tousaints, you are from NKY, are there public schools in our area that you know of that don't charge a sports fee?
Most NKY & CKY schools don't have the high free and reduced enrollment as the rural school districts. The schools in NKY & CKY are usually around 20% - 30% free and reduced, some lower than that. Most of the rural school districts, are in the 75% - 95% free and reduced. Thus, fees in NKY and CKY, charge fees because they can. In those districts, the kids that are free or reduced, don't pay or pay a reduced amount.

Also, the rural schools seem to do more fundraising because of the fees not being collected. In the smaller rural schools the community seems to be more involved in local athletics where you don't get as much community participation/support or excitement for the local team in NKY or CKY.

Booster club participation really depends on the school district. Some allow unlimited booster clubs, some don't allow any at all.

Very few schools get money from the school district to support athletics. Some do get funding to replace uniforms but that's about it.
Stardust Wrote:Is it a matter of how much state funding these other schools get and they level of income of the student body? Can fundraising truly fund all schools activities. I've heard the magic word of fundraising your own sport, but it sure seems like fundraising would come up short if ALL schools had to fundraise. In CKY & NKY, there is probably less funding from the state than there is in the areas of the state with minimal family incomes.

tousaints, you are from NKY, are there public schools in our area that you know of that don't charge a sports fee?

I can only speak for Letcher County Central. The only thing involving athletics that tax dollars is spent on is building of facilities and coaching salaries. Each sports program is responsible for raising money to pay for uniforms, shoes,trips, food, or anything else they may need. At the end of the season, each sports program gets a bill from the school system for buses. You have to reimburse the school system by paying so much per mile as well as paying the bus driver for the trip. So state funding has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Football does not pay for any other sports as some would want you to believe. Now some other sports and other school activities will have fundraisers at football games such as concessions, bake sales, souvenir items etc. They pay the baseball team to run the gates at the baseball game but it is paying for services rendered. Most of the money made for the athletic programs is through a local festival in which some of the programs will clear close to $10,000.00 for four days work. Almost every sport at LCC has a booth at the festival. Football makes a substantial amount of money from ads on the Jumbotron. The boys and girls basketball as well as volleyball will make money off the ads on the two revolving scorers tables in the gym. Ads sold for program booklets sold at games raises money. Other additional fundraisers are also done when there are extra expenses such as a long trip during the holiday's such as this year when both boys and girls teams are going to Orlando during the Christmas break so there will extra expenses involving motels, airfare etc. So contrary to popular belief, some of the schools in Eastern Kentucky are not receiving athletic welfare from the state to support their programs. I do believe that tousaints gave a good explanation as the close proximity of schools in Northern Kentucky makes fundraising more difficult so athletic fees may have to be pursued. At LCC fundraising is not a magic word but a way of life and has been in the Letcher County School System since way before consolidation. Believe it or not, a vast majority of the kids who play sports are not on welfare. They are the children of coal miners who make from $60,000 to $100,000.00 a year as well as school teachers, social workers, nurses, docters etc. Contrary to popular belief, not every child in Eastern Kentucky has a parent who is a drug addicted, check drawing welfare recipient.
goodguy Wrote:Most NKY & CKY schools don't have the high free and reduced enrollment as the rural school districts. The schools in NKY & CKY are usually around 20% - 30% free and reduced, some lower than that. Most of the rural school districts, are in the 75% - 95% free and reduced. Thus, fees in NKY and CKY, charge fees because they can. In those districts, the kids that are free or reduced, don't pay or pay a reduced amount.

Also, the rural schools seem to do more fundraising because of the fees not being collected. In the smaller rural schools the community seems to be more involved in local athletics where you don't get as much community participation/support or excitement for the local team in NKY or CKY.

Booster club participation really depends on the school district. Some allow unlimited booster clubs, some don't allow any at all.

Very few schools get money from the school district to support athletics. Some do get funding to replace uniforms but that's about it.

This seems to fit what I expected to be the case. Thans GG
Stardust Wrote:tousaints, you are from NKY, are there public schools in our area that you know of that don't charge a sports fee?

I don't know of ANY schools in NKY that don't charge an athletic fee. most of the schools up here dont charge outrageous athletic fees. Many schools give you a discount if you play more sports.

and for those that misunderstood me, im not saying county schools get funding to pay for the sport. im saying schools that can cover all their cost through fundraising don't have that many schools in competition with them for fundraising.
I think at Scott County the bulk of the athletic budget is funded through the one-week Toyota Classic basketball tournament and raffle.
toussaints Wrote:I don't know of ANY schools in NKY that don't charge an athletic fee. most of the schools up here dont charge outrageous athletic fees. Many schools give you a discount if you play more sports.

and for those that misunderstood me, im not saying county schools get funding to pay for the sport. im saying schools that can cover all their cost through fundraising don't have that many schools in competition with them for fundraising.

Your last paragraph is dead-on. Campbell County is obviously a county school, but for them to get fundraising, they are competing with every other school in NKY. There are too many schools to get any significant fundraising in this area.
Here's a good example of what's going on in Ohio: http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/mi...19246.html

Most local school districts in Ohio rely heavily on property taxes to operate. Residents will NOT vote to raise their own taxes when they can barely make it now, in this ecomomy. State is cutting school funding. So, something has to give. The burden is falling back on the parents of athletes. A necessary evil, unfortunately.
Stardust Wrote:Your last paragraph is dead-on. Campbell County is obviously a county school, but for them to get fundraising, they are competing with every other school in NKY. There are too many schools to get any significant fundraising in this area.

I do agree with this statement behind the need for fees. I also believe that a culture has developed in some(not all) communities that they would rather pay the fees then go out and raise money.
I think its a bad idea. Students deserve to get to play without any expense at all. I do think they should participate in the fundraising in some way though.
Pages: 1 2 3