Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: HEAT, has anyone been able to practice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our High School goes from 8:00am - 9:30 am. At 9:30 the heat index is well over 100.
The middle school is trying 7:00 pm, but has had very little success in going out.
Our darn gyms are even to hot.
Thats an hour and a half practice?
LexCath had to move the start of practices to 7 in the morning
I saw Perry's boys out after 7PM last Wednesday with no pads on.
^Same here.. PCC has been practicing.
Lewis County goes 6:30 pm to 8:30. It's been too hot at the beginning of practice and we've went to the gym until it cools down.
I've seen Prestonsburg out practicing after 9 PM.
^^The good teams who are hungry will get all their practice time in. The teams who half-ass it will say it's too hot.
Here's how I see it. You have to have practice. If the heat index is up then do the mandated breaks. If you don't, then the players aren't getting their body acclimated with heat. jmo!
jetpilot Wrote:^^The good teams who are hungry will get all their practice time in. The teams who half-ass it will say it's too hot.

There are rules on the Heat.
Old Henry Man Wrote:Our High School goes from 8:00am - 9:30 am. At 9:30 the heat index is well over 100.
The middle school is trying 7:00 pm, but has had very little success in going out.

What does it matter to middle school teams, they are not governed by KHSAA.
Old Henry Man Wrote:There are rules on the Heat.

See the post where Prestonsburg was practicing after 9pm? That's what winners do...there are plenty of hours in the day and night to get practice in.
Old Henry Man Wrote:Our High School goes from 8:00am - 9:30 am. At 9:30 the heat index is well over 100.

tebow Wrote:Here's how I see it. You have to have practice. If the heat index is up then do the mandated breaks. If you don't, then the players aren't getting their body acclimated with heat. jmo!

If the heat index is above 104 you are not allowed to do ANY activities outside.
One other thing to keep in mind is that whoever takes the temp and humidity reading is supposed to take the reading where the team is practicing. Now the heat index you see on your local weather is different because they ALWAYS take the temp reading in the shade never in direct sunlight. So the heat index is almost assuredly higher where your team practices because they are in the sun!
Went to watch our Raceland Rams practice the other day. Didn't start till about 8:15. When it got dark they went to the stadium and practiced under the lights.:igiveup:
I think I posted this in another heat related thread. Paducah Tilghman has rented diesel generators and construction lights and is going until about 9:30p.m. on a practice field normally without lights. Daytime heat down here is terrible, but not so bad after the sun sets. Lots of running. Lots of water.
Like I said the winners are getting their practices in and the losers are saying it's too hot.
jetpilot Wrote:See the post where Prestonsburg was practicing after 9pm? That's what winners do...there are plenty of hours in the day and night to get practice in.

exactly jetpilot, as long as the team isn't breaking the rules, then they're fine. If it's too hot, then move practice to a time when it's cooler. Even if a team can't move practice to another time, then lift inside, do conditioning in the gym or school. And if you don't have air conditioning inside, then go over plays and assignments in a classroom. besides, no one can hit or wear pads until Aug 1st.
toussaints Wrote:exactly jetpilot, as long as the team isn't breaking the rules, then they're fine. If it's too hot, then move practice to a time when it's cooler. Even if a team can't move practice to another time, then lift inside, do conditioning in the gym or school. And if you don't have air conditioning inside, then go over plays and assignments in a classroom. besides, no one can hit or wear pads until Aug 1st.

:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:
jetpilot Wrote:^^The good teams who are hungry will get all their practice time in. The teams who half-ass it will say it's too hot.

yeah and then you see kids that have heat stokes and wonder why it happen i will be half ass if it will keep my boys from going to the ER
rebel 4 life Wrote:yeah and then you see kids that have heat stokes and wonder why it happen i will be half ass if it will keep my boys from going to the ER

I think what jetpilot was trying to say is there are 24 hours in a day. You can find a time to practice when its not so hot. You adjust your practice schedule at a more appropriate time.
For instance, P'burg moved there start time up to 7:00 pm so the heat is not a problem then.
zaga_fan Wrote:I saw Perry's boys out after 7PM last Wednesday with no pads on.

I know they aren't allowed to be in full pads yet. Are they allowed to be in any thing other than helmets right now?

LOL. Nice, I'll buy that.
IAM22 Wrote:What does it matter to middle school teams, they are not governed by KHSAA.

While the middle schools are not currently governed by the KHSAA, most school superintendents have instructed their middle school coaches that they must comply with the KHSAA's heat index. If middle schools don't want to be governed by the KHSAA (and trust me there are some KHSAA folks and state legislators that think the KHSAA should govern middle school sports), it would be extremely prudent of those middle schools that they make darn certain that there are no heat related incidents. If there is one, just one, don't be surprised to see KHSAA governing middle school sports in the near future.
^ Good post Charlie. At Campbell County, the HS athletic trainer provides the readings and if conditions are exceeded, the policy at the HS flows to the Middle School. If the HS does not practice, the MS will not either.
Is it just me or does anybody else think that middle school starts their practice and season way to early? I know of many who started practice just 2 weeks ago, will srimmage this weekend (July 30) and their season starts the first weekend of August.

Everybody needs fundamental work, and obviously the younger you are, the more you need it. I just don't understand expecting 12-14 year olds being able to get the needed time to work fundamentals and off./defensive system (even those that are vanilla, as they all should be at this level) w/in 2 weeks.

Heck, college programs get at least 3 weeks of prep time.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Is it just me or does anybody else think that middle school starts their practice and season way to early? I know of many who started practice just 2 weeks ago, will srimmage this weekend (July 30) and their season starts the first weekend of August.

Everybody needs fundamental work, and obviously the younger you are, the more you need it. I just don't understand expecting 12-14 year olds being able to get the needed time to work fundamentals and off./defensive system (even those that are vanilla, as they all should be at this level) w/in 2 weeks.

Heck, college programs get at least 3 weeks of prep time.

Agree completely. And that is one of the reasons why some KHSAA folks and some state legislators are pushing for the KHSAA to get control of middle school sports. Middle school sports are getting way out of control, pushed by the belief that better middle school teams will make the high school teams better down the road. Which is actually true in most cases. But the balance of judgment seems to be lacking in many cases.

I hate using Highlands as an example all time as the way "things should be done" but..... in Ft. Thomas the middle school football program is actually not a part of the school system at all. It's an independent league ran by people in the community. Mueller does have some input on certain matters. Practice as I recall doesn't begin until August; three full weeks of practice before the first game and the season is over by mid October. Limits on the number of days a team can practice per week and the amount of hours per practice. Mandatory playing time for all players. Emphasis is on making football a fun experience so the kids keep playing. Instruction on playing skills comes next. Concerns about wins and losses comes last. The league abides by the KHSAA's heat index and has purchased the measuring devices. Mueller has told the league officers that he just wants the kids to have fun and keep their interest in the game; if that means they don't get the fundamentals down, he's fine with that. He and his other coaches will teach them the fundamentals starting in their freshmen year. But he can't teach fundamentals to kids that have quit the game because some youth league coach made the game miserable for them.

Unfortunately I read and hear way too often of middle school and youth teams being coached by folks that think they are the next Lombardi. It's more about them as coaches than the kids as players. Even if they are being so aggressive in their coaching and practices in the belief that they are helping the high school program in the future, their actions turn off too many kids to the game of football. With so, so many other things for kids to do today (play soccer, concentrate on baseball, basketball, sit on the couch playing video games, etc), turn them off to football because you run the team like Charlie Bradshaw and they will leave the game forever. And that is definitely not good for the high school team in the future.
If routine conditioning after sunset in July is a problem - then kids are not in decent shape to start with.
charlie22 Wrote:Agree completely. And that is one of the reasons why some KHSAA folks and some state legislators are pushing for the KHSAA to get control of middle school sports. Middle school sports are getting way out of control, pushed by the belief that better middle school teams will make the high school teams better down the road. Which is actually true in most cases. But the balance of judgment seems to be lacking in many cases.

I hate using Highlands as an example all time as the way "things should be done" but..... in Ft. Thomas the middle school football program is actually not a part of the school system at all. It's an independent league ran by people in the community. Mueller does have some input on certain matters. Practice as I recall doesn't begin until August; three full weeks of practice before the first game and the season is over by mid October. Limits on the number of days a team can practice per week and the amount of hours per practice. Mandatory playing time for all players. Emphasis is on making football a fun experience so the kids keep playing. Instruction on playing skills comes next. Concerns about wins and losses comes last. The league abides by the KHSAA's heat index and has purchased the measuring devices. Mueller has told the league officers that he just wants the kids to have fun and keep their interest in the game; if that means they don't get the fundamentals down, he's fine with that. He and his other coaches will teach them the fundamentals starting in their freshmen year. But he can't teach fundamentals to kids that have quit the game because some youth league coach made the game miserable for them.

Unfortunately I read and hear way too often of middle school and youth teams being coached by folks that think they are the next Lombardi. It's more about them as coaches than the kids as players. Even if they are being so aggressive in their coaching and practices in the belief that they are helping the high school program in the future, their actions turn off too many kids to the game of football. With so, so many other things for kids to do today (play soccer, concentrate on baseball, basketball, sit on the couch playing video games, etc), turn them off to football because you run the team like Charlie Bradshaw and they will leave the game forever. And that is definitely not good for the high school team in the future.

:notworthy Very well spoken, Sir. I couldn't agree more with all you have posted.
fellas its as hott as a fresh fox in a forrest fire outside today