Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic 2011 Offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How much experience and skill does this football team look to have in the 2011 season? Last year they liked to put some points on the board.
i think that cov cath is going to be the surprise team this year. Last year, besides getting destroyed by ryle the first game, they played with everyone.
They took highlands deep into the 4th quarter.
They return most the skill players besides Ritter and Connelley, dont know what the OLine will be like.
The cov cath v dixie and v highlands games will be awesome.
birdman44 Wrote:i think that cov cath is going to be the surprise team this year. Last year, besides getting destroyed by ryle the first game, they played with everyone.
They took highlands deep into the 4th quarter.
They return most the skill players besides Ritter and Connelley, dont know what the OLine will be like.
The cov cath v dixie and v highlands games will be awesome.

If I recall properly, they have several starters returning on the O line. I expect it to be a strength of the team. They supposedly will average 270 on the O line. That's big. For our (Highlands) sake, I hope they are immobile and slow. :biggrin:

I agree with you that CovCath is going to surprise some people. They should be very, very good. Last year's close game with Highlands has the Colonels believeing again. Their QB (Bir) looked very good as a sophomore last year and I expect him to be even better this year.
CovCath lost 4 Senior DB's Travis Connor, Alex Cosby, Dan Gregory and Paul Ritter. Losing Ritter is the biggest impact, but losing that much experience and leadership will hurt. Because of injuries and match ups Brady Reece and Tanner Fangman both played major roles last year. Reece ended up being their best cover guy. The rest of this year's DB's will be untested.

The offense lost it's top 3 receivers most importantly Alex Connelly. They have 3 veteran receivers in Michael Best, Clint Massie and Mitch McDowell returning. After that they will rely heavily on unproven players.

The O-line will be fantastic, they not only are big (averaging 270) but move exceptionally well also. Bradly Way is a D1 player and Max Halpin and Jake Henderson are both 3 year starters.

Gabe Gray and Bobby Beatrice will be the main ball carriers, with Gray getting the lion share of the carries.

Bir hs matured both physically 6'1" 185, and emotionally. I expect an outstanding year from him.

The key to the season, as it is with many schools, will be keeping players healthy. There is about 5 or 6 players they simply can not afford to lose if they are going to make a run in the playoffs.
CovCath's offense will be capable of scoring alot of points this year. A good sized O-line, multiple experienced skill players and a good QB returning. Dave Wirth has been involved with some very good spread offenses at Badin and now CCH. Like fball junky said, their pass defense will be untested, which won't help them at all against Highlands, but CCH will have a pretty good team to watch out for.
What would projected scores be against Highlands this year if you say that Cov Cath's offense will be so strong, yet their defense could be weak?
nkyfootball81 Wrote:What would projected scores be against Highlands this year if you say that Cov Cath's offense will be so strong, yet their defense could be weak?

probably like 42-38 or something. I have a feeling this year is going to open up the old Highlands Cov Cath rivalry full blast again. With a OLine like that the Colonels will be able to control their share of the game 4sure. This team nearly upset the 'birds last year too.

I will be there, I hope J Frisk will be there too?