Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: No Home Games for Collins This Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the Sentinel-News:

The field at Titan Stadium is closed down for all three fall sports that use it.

Collins High School's football, boys' soccer and girls' soccer teams have to find new places to play their home schedules in their upcoming seasons, or play all their games on the road, because it has been decided that none of those three teams will be able to use the multi-purpose turf field this fall.

This is just the latest in the Great Field Fiasco.

The biggest thing to come out of this is the possibility that the Collins football team may have to play some, if not all, of their home games at Shelby County High School's Robert Doyle Stadium. That's going to go over like a lead balloon.

The Collins soccer teams, meanwhile, will like turn to the Shelby County Parks Department to try and play their home games at Clear Creek Park.

Stay turned for further details.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/coll...part-seams
^This should make things interesting in Shelbyville. I hope they could work something out with Shelby Co. No reason this should have happened.
Jarons Wrote:^This should make things interesting in Shelbyville. I hope they could work something out with Shelby Co. No reason this should have happened.

You're right this should have never happened. SCPS has had tons of problems with the contractors that built the school and the field. I would expect they will take some legal action against them.

I think there would be some unhappy people if Collins played some of their home games a SC. Some people aren't too happy about the split.
Why is the field closed?
blue1424 Wrote:You're right this should have never happened. SCPS has had tons of problems with the contractors that built the school and the field. I would expect they will take some legal action against them.

I think there would be some unhappy people if Collins played some of their home games a SC. Some people aren't too happy about the split.

Hopefully the adults will act like mature adults and not let their unhappiness have an adverse impact on kids.
Dang. I read the article. Sounds like a big problem to me.
Stardust Wrote:Why is the field closed?
Soft spots in the field due to poor construction. The field is a big mess right now.
blue1424 Wrote:You're right this should have never happened. SCPS has had tons of problems with the contractors that built the school and the field. I would expect they will take some legal action against them.

I hope SCPS does take some legal action. No reason they should be out $362,000 dollars to rebuild the field because the contractors cannot do their job.
I do not understand the animosity towards Collins, the split was needed, SC was getting too big.
Jarons Wrote:I hope SCPS does take some legal action. No reason they should be out $362,000 dollars to rebuild the field because the contractors cannot do their job.
I do not understand the animosity towards Collins, the split was needed, SC was getting too big.

I don't understand it either. I am a fan of both schools and want both of them to succeed. The split was definitely needed. SCHS was way over crowded. Shelby County is growing quickly and new schools are needed. I've heard that many of the elementary schools are over crowded and a new elementary school will be built soon next to Collins.
Jarons Wrote:I hope SCPS does take some legal action. No reason they should be out $362,000 dollars to rebuild the field because the contractors cannot do their job.

How do schools in the state of Ohio, Indiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and practically everywhere except in Kentucky make it work with schools (and, lots of them) with over 2,000 kids?

I don't understand the theory of a school being "too big" when it approaches this # and/or higher? The funny part? These states, even with much bigger schools, are not only better (or just as good) as Kentucky high schools academically, but they'd kill us across the board athletically in dang near everything (football, basketball and baseball anyway).

They make it work, why can't we? I know that just in terms of football alone, Todd Shipley was building a program that, maybe in 10 years or less (with the county population growth and his program development) was going to be able to compete with the likes of Trinity. If memory serves me correct, didn't Shelby play Trinity to a 2 or 3 TD game in the 2nd round of '09? So, instead of being able to build off of that (as they were doing), they split the talent down the middle. Instead of a one horse town (one school in the county/district) feeding off the tax base and general fan support, they split it in two (one gets a roll of toilet paper, the other has to get a roll of toilet paper). Why didn't they just expand Shelby County High School? If being land locked on the current campus was a problem, why couldn't they have built say a "Freshmen Academy" where Collins is, thus relieving the over crowding that must have been aparent at SCHS?

Now, I'm not saying let high schools reach over 3,000 kids (there's some schools in Texas with at or around 5K, which is just as bad as our mentality here in KY of wanting to split once they get close to 2,000 IMO), but instead of acting like this :yikes: when schools are growing, I wish more would take the approach of :Thumbs:.

Some think "lack of personal education experience with teachers", "lost in the mix", etc. as schools grow; I think "hire more teachers", "more opportunities" (academic courses, clubs, extra curriculars), etc.

To give some proof in the pudding, one of the most noteable high schools in Texas is Southlake Carroll. They have a 9th/10th campus and an 11th/12th campus with roughly 1,300 kids at each campus, yet they have about a 16:1 teacher/student ratio (I'm willing to bet that Collins nor other smaller schools in KY with around 1,500 or less grades 9-12 have that). Most of you probably recognize Southlake Carroll as a national high school football power, which they are. But, you'd be surprised to see how dominant they are across the board in dang near everything academics, performing arts and athletics. (Google these facts, specifically wikipedia and schooldigger)
Oh well, that's my rant for the day.
maybe $$$ is the "problem".
When you get a "big" school that's overcrowded, you have 3 options...

1.) Split. Don't see the need to talk about that, since it's the most common.

2.) Add a wing. That's fine if the enrollment will level off, but if the area is growing, that may be the worst option, if you go too small.

Plus, you have the construction zone mess & noise during classes to deal with... lots of negatives there.

3.) Build a larger bldg.
Then you have a good, empty bldg. you have to do something with.
If the middle school is old or needs to split, too, then remodel it. Otherwise, you sell it.

A new Blacksburg High, near Va. Tech, will cost $55.5 Mil for 1,400 kids. So a 3,000 kid school would cost around $100 Mil... which is a bit more debt than some places can handle.
Jarons Wrote:Soft spots in the field due to poor construction. The field is a big mess right now.

Wow, grass or turf?
Stardust Wrote:Wow, grass or turf?

Turf
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:How do schools in the state of Ohio, Indiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and practically everywhere except in Kentucky make it work with schools (and, lots of them) with over 2,000 kids?

I don't understand the theory of a school being "too big" when it approaches this # and/or higher? The funny part? These states, even with much bigger schools, are not only better (or just as good) as Kentucky high schools academically, but they'd kill us across the board athletically in dang near everything (football, basketball and baseball anyway).

They make it work, why can't we? I know that just in terms of football alone, Todd Shipley was building a program that, maybe in 10 years or less (with the county population growth and his program development) was going to be able to compete with the likes of Trinity. If memory serves me correct, didn't Shelby play Trinity to a 2 or 3 TD game in the 2nd round of '09? So, instead of being able to build off of that (as they were doing), they split the talent down the middle. Instead of a one horse town (one school in the county/district) feeding off the tax base and general fan support, they split it in two (one gets a roll of toilet paper, the other has to get a roll of toilet paper). Why didn't they just expand Shelby County High School? If being land locked on the current campus was a problem, why couldn't they have built say a "Freshmen Academy" where Collins is, thus relieving the over crowding that must have been aparent at SCHS?

Now, I'm not saying let high schools reach over 3,000 kids (there's some schools in Texas with at or around 5K, which is just as bad as our mentality here in KY of wanting to split once they get close to 2,000 IMO), but instead of acting like this :yikes: when schools are growing, I wish more would take the approach of :Thumbs:.

Some think "lack of personal education experience with teachers", "lost in the mix", etc. as schools grow; I think "hire more teachers", "more opportunities" (academic courses, clubs, extra curriculars), etc.

To give some proof in the pudding, one of the most noteable high schools in Texas is Southlake Carroll. They have a 9th/10th campus and an 11th/12th campus with roughly 1,300 kids at each campus, yet they have about a 16:1 teacher/student ratio (I'm willing to bet that Collins nor other smaller schools in KY with around 1,500 or less grades 9-12 have that). Most of you probably recognize Southlake Carroll as a national high school football power, which they are. But, you'd be surprised to see how dominant they are across the board in dang near everything academics, performing arts and athletics. (Google these facts, specifically wikipedia and schooldigger)
Oh well, that's my rant for the day.

Actually at first there was going to be an 8/9 center built where Collins is now but they went ahead and built a new high school instead.