Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry has a game!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Pike County Bowl lineup is set with Harrison County now facing the Belfry Pirates on August 26th. The first game that night at Belfry will have Phelps taking on Pike Central. On August 27th, at Pikeville, the Panthers will face Tellico Plains from Tennessee, and in the first game East Ridge will battle Shelby Valley. This has been confirmed by the great sports staff of the newspaper here in Pikeville and will appear in their edition tomorrow.
What time are the games?
I looked up Tellico Plains and assume they are not very good (Not that we are), and that is why Pikeville is stuck playing them and Belfry gets Harrison. Franklin County's AD can fall off a cliff for all I care.
Pikeville should have an easy time with Tellico Plains. They were 1-9 last season and were shut out 5 times. They did not make the playoffs.
SadSad Pike County Bowl SadSad
What a mess this has been. Glad it is finally cleared up. Good luck to all the local teams.
Heard from a source with the local radio station yesterday that this was in the works but nothing was final at that time, so didnt want to post it.
Dragonsdad Wrote:Pikeville should have an easy time with Tellico Plains. They were 1-9 last season and were shut out 5 times. They did not make the playoffs.
SMH. The PCB has got to step its game up.
Panther Thunder Wrote:SMH. The PCB has got to step its game up.

:thumpsup:
you all have to give them credit. they searched high and low for an opponent in just a short time left and found one with less than a month away from the season starting. I'm sure it will be better next year.
Belfry's opponent backs out and Pikeville gets the shaft. You just knew it was coming. PCB sucks with the new format anyway, Pikeville needs to get their own bowl and opt out of this imposter they call the Pike County Bowl.
so, they also switched the nights of the local games, right?
jetpilot Wrote:Belfry's opponent backs out and Pikeville gets the shaft. You just knew it was coming. PCB sucks with the new format anyway, Pikeville needs to get their own bowl and opt out of this imposter they call the Pike County Bowl.

well,they probally felt that Belfry didnt need to play them,since they have dominated Pikeville..
hopefully just this one year that this tn team play in it..
cuppett777 Wrote:well,they probally felt that Belfry didnt need to play them,since they have dominated Pikeville..

Exactly. Pikeville could have played Pike Central then the opponent and Pike County Bowl experience would have been MUCH more interesting!
cuppett777 Wrote:well,they probally felt that Belfry didnt need to play them,since they have dominated Pikeville..

Doesn't have anything to do with it. Pikeville dominates Belfry in just about everything else but it isn't up to Belfry to come up with an opponent for Pikeville if one of Pikeville's opponents backs out.
VHSL-helper Wrote:so, they also switched the nights of the local games, right?

No, as far as I can remember since they went to the 2-night format, Pikeville has always hosted the Saturday games. Belfry (and Shelby Valley) have hosted the Friday night portion.
I know it may seem like Pikeville got a raw deal, but in the end the PCB committee is responsible for putting together the best possible bowl lineup. And whether or not you still think Pikeville is the #2 program in the county, they're certainly not #1 anymore.

To me it seems obvious that with only a month left before the PCB, the committee couldn't exactly afford to be picky. They needed a team, any team, even if said team did go 1-9 last year. It would then stand to reason that since the PCB now once again has two teams scheduled to come in, that they should assign the game against the apparently weaker team from TN to the weaker of the the two "home" teams. And at least as of the last few years, that team would be Pikeville.

That's actually the problem I have with the whole 2-year contract thing the PCB has been doing recently. A team that would be competitive with Belfry may be too much for Pikeville, and a team more on the Panthers' level would probably get blown out by the Pirates. Until Pikeville gets their program back on the same level as Belfry's, the committee should only do 1-year contracts and try to find a good, competitive matchup for each of the two schools.
More Cowbell Wrote:I know it may seem like Pikeville got a raw deal, but in the end the PCB committee is responsible for putting together the best possible bowl lineup. And whether or not you still think Pikeville is the #2 program in the county, they're certainly not #1 anymore.

To me it seems obvious that with only a month left before the PCB, the committee couldn't exactly afford to be picky. They needed a team, any team, even if said team did go 1-9 last year. It would then stand to reason that since the PCB now once again has two teams scheduled to come in, that they should assign the game against the apparently weaker team from TN to the weaker of the the two "home" teams. And at least as of the last few years, that team would be Pikeville.

That's actually the problem I have with the whole 2-year contract thing the PCB has been doing recently. A team that would be competitive with Belfry may be too much for Pikeville, and a team more on the Panthers' level would probably get blown out by the Pirates. Until Pikeville gets their program back on the same level as Belfry's, the committee should only do 1-year contracts and try to find a good, competitive matchup for each of the two schools.

how would one go about getting a hold of the board to see what they pay for a team coming to play?theres a very good 6a program where i live that would be a good game for Belfry,but it would be 10-12 hr drive, i know other schools have done that before, when i went to Madisonville we went to Bell county for the coke cola classic, that wasnt 10 hrs but it was a drive..
jetpilot Wrote:Belfry's opponent backs out and Pikeville gets the shaft. You just knew it was coming. PCB sucks with the new format anyway, Pikeville needs to get their own bowl and opt out of this imposter they call the Pike County Bowl.

Considering Belfry brings in the Lion's share of the gate, haven't lost to a Pike County team in a decade, and have been the victim of the PCB's politics I would say they should break off moreso. Belfry had the game moved to SV a couple year's back, seen a significant drop in the competitiveness of the opponents, and now suffered this Franklin County debacle. Belfry has the facilities, the draw, and the ability to get the sponsors behind their game.

It is a 4.5 hour drive for Tellico Plains to Pikeville. My guess is they asked to play Saturday to account for the drive and be well rested, it was probably part of their agreement. Pikeville will always host the Saturday game. The Panthers didn't get the shaft.
:Thumbs:
More Cowbell Wrote:No, as far as I can remember since they went to the 2-night format, Pikeville has always hosted the Saturday games. Belfry (and Shelby Valley) have hosted the Friday night portion.

ER-SV was prev. said to be Fri. .. see post 6 -
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...p?t=111209
KHSAA doesn't even have it listed.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Considering Belfry brings in the Lion's share of the gate, haven't lost to a Pike County team in a decade, and have been the victim of the PCB's politics I would say they should break off moreso. Belfry had the game moved to SV a couple year's back, seen a significant drop in the competitiveness of the opponents, and now suffered this Franklin County debacle. Belfry has the facilities, the draw, and the ability to get the sponsors behind their game.

It is a 4.5 hour drive for Tellico Plains to Pikeville. My guess is they asked to play Saturday to account for the drive and be well rested, it was probably part of their agreement. Pikeville will always host the Saturday game. The Panthers didn't get the shaft.

So does Pikeville. Remember it's a Pikeville-based company that puts on the Pike County Bowl. Regardless, the Pike County Bowl has gone from one of the top bowls anywhere to a second or third tier bowl. Time for Pikeville (and Belfry) to move on. The Pike County Bowl only works when Pikeville and Belfry play on the same field on the same night. And I watch the games at Belfry on Friday on WYMT and it looks like the fans (with very few in the visitors' section) are as bored at the game as I am watching it on TV.
jetpilot Wrote:So does Pikeville. Remember it's a Pikeville-based company that puts on the Pike County Bowl. Regardless, the Pike County Bowl has gone from one of the top bowls anywhere to a second or third tier bowl. Time for Pikeville (and Belfry) to move on. The Pike County Bowl only works when Pikeville and Belfry play on the same field on the same night. And I watch the games at Belfry on Friday on WYMT and it looks like the fans (with very few in the visitors' section) are as bored at the game as I am watching it on TV.
a

It's a shame that the premier bowl game in Kentucky is now relegated to a 2nd tier bowl amongst the mountains.

Politics and the "everyone deserves attention" mentality killed this game. If the PCB could get back to its roots, with a Saturday featuring Belfry and Pikeville vs. two top tier teams, I would gladly trade every game to be at WC Hambley and even gladly let Pikeville have the nightcap.

When the PCB was ran properly teams would have did everything in their power to clear their schedule to play, now we have Franklin County "forgetting" they committed.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:a

It's a shame that the premier bowl game in Kentucky is now relegated to a 2nd tier bowl amongst the mountains.

Politics and the "everyone deserves attention" mentality killed this game. If the PCB could get back to its roots, with a Saturday featuring Belfry and Pikeville vs. two top tier teams, I would gladly trade every game to be at WC Hambley and even gladly let Pikeville have the nightcap.

When the PCB was ran properly teams would have did everything in their power to clear their schedule to play, now we have Franklin County "forgetting" they committed.

And I would gladly see it rotated between Pikeville and Belfry. Dang '05 I think we agree!

2012 (at Pikeville)
Belfry vs. (Beechwood, NCC, Cov. Cath, or Highlands)
Lexington Christian vs. Pikeville

2013 (at Belfry)
Pikeville vs. Hazard
Bell Co. vs. Belfry

or a million other combinations...
this would be huuuuge as opposed to suuuuucking...
EKUAlum05 Wrote:a

I usually agree with you on most things, you know this. However if you remove the 4 county schools you are taking a pretty big wad of money from them. Even if they bowl was ran the way you wanted too, why Pikeville instead of Pike Central? (Not that I like Pike Central). They can easily make this game better with all teams involved.
Real Badman Wrote:I usually agree with you on most things, you know this. However if you remove the 4 county schools you are taking a pretty big wad of money from them. Even if they bowl was ran the way you wanted too, why Pikeville instead of Pike Central? (Not that I like Pike Central). They can easily make this game better with all teams involved.
Try letting Pike Central win a Regional Championship, Hell, a district championship first.
jetpilot Wrote:And I would gladly see it rotated between Pikeville and Belfry. Dang '05 I think we agree!

2012 (at Pikeville)
Belfry vs. (Beechwood, NCC, Cov. Cath, or Highlands)
Lexington Christian vs. Pikeville

2013 (at Belfry)
Pikeville vs. Hazard
Bell Co. vs. Belfry

or a million other combinations...
this would be huuuuge as opposed to suuuuucking...

Now that would be sweet. Well worth the drive to see these games for everyone that could make it
Panther Thunder Wrote:Try letting Pike Central win a Regional Championship, Hell, a district championship first.

Well lol, as much as everyone on here knows I dislike Pike Central they do play a district tougher then Phelps, Allen Central, and South Floyd.
Real Badman Wrote:Well lol, as much as everyone on here knows I dislike Pike Central they do play a district tougher then Phelps, Allen Central, and South Floyd.
This is a true statement.
Real Badman Wrote:I usually agree with you on most things, you know this. However if you remove the 4 county schools you are taking a pretty big wad of money from them. Even if they bowl was ran the way you wanted too, why Pikeville instead of Pike Central? (Not that I like Pike Central). They can easily make this game better with all teams involved.

My argument is that those county schools got a little too greedy in the first place. When the PCB was a one day event all those schools were raking in "free" money from the gate split. That wasn't enough, they wanted to participate, so the game became a multi-day event to accommodate and allow the other schools to split even more concessions. It was clear that there was not enough interest in the "other games" so they decided to break away from the traditional Saturday featuring Belfry and Pikeville and split it up once CAM was finished, that way the gate would be strong on both nights. That seemed to work, but then all of a sudden certain programs became upset that they could not host the game... they wanted the venue at their place and the PCB obliged.

As you said, if Belfry and Pikeville pulled out it would absolutely serve as a "gut punch" to the other schools who depend on the wad of cash they receive. My argument is that if Belfry and Pikeville are so important, shouldn't they be treated as such? Why should they play second fiddle to other schools who cannot carry their weight as the headliner? Why must they be subjected to having to find a 1-9 team from outside of Chattanooga at the 11th hour to fill a spot? Why must they agree to a 2 year contract with programs that in the original days of the PCB wouldn't have even been considered?

The PCB needs to get everyone else's hands out of the cookie jar who are desperate for attention and money, and get back to it's true form. From a business standpoint why would a team like Belfry want to continue to play in this game, give up money that they primarily generate, get overlooked as a host site for a habitual middle of the pack team like SV, and not know their opponent until Mid-July? Do I mind the other schools getting their piece of the pie? NO.. it is called the Pike County Bow, and it was meant to help all the programs. My issue is when the other schools treat this as some EKY welfare system and try to abuse it to get as much as possible, without doing anything productive to do so.
Pages: 1 2