Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: coal news of late
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"If You Don't Like Coal, Don't Use Electricity!"
"Coal Keeps The Lights On"

Those bumper stickers crack me up.. All this crap about coal and tree huggers, it's hilarious.
Ballers Wrote:"If You Don't Like Coal, Don't Use Electricity!"
"Coal Keeps The Lights On"

Those bumper stickers crack me up.. All this crap about coal and tree huggers, it's hilarious.

It wouldnt crack you up if there was no coal and you were paying triple for electricity than what you are now.
What cracks me up.....all this bull crap talk about solar panels, wind turbines, and global warming.
Simply put, coal is what keeps this part of the nation running. Not only does it make living expenses cheaper for you than what it would be without it, it also employs thousands of people who have no other choice for a good job.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It wouldnt crack you up if there was no coal and you were paying triple for electricity than what you are now. What cracks me up.....all this bull crap talk about solar panels, wind turbines, and global warming.
Simply put, coal is what keeps this part of the nation running. Not only does it make living expenses cheaper for you than what it would be without it, it also employs thousands of people who have no other choice for a good job.
Looks like a graduate of one of our fine liberalist institutions of higher learning. More than likely a kid whose daddy pays all the bills to begin with.
If you are looking for justice in eastern Kentucky and you are not wealthy and you are without political "juice," then you are SOL. Your girlfriend is lucky. She could have been involved in an accident with an under aged son or daughter of a local judge or elected state official.

I am assuming that the other driver was not arrested for driving without a valid drivers license. Am I correct?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If you are looking for justice in eastern Kentucky and you are not wealthy and you are without political "juice," then you are SOL. Your girlfriend is lucky. She could have been involved in an accident with an under aged son or daughter of a local judge or elected state official.

I am assuming that the other driver was not arrested for driving without a valid drivers license. Am I correct?
^:rules: Wrong thread - never mind.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If you are looking for justice in eastern Kentucky and you are not wealthy and you are without political "juice," then you are SOL. Your girlfriend is lucky. She could have been involved in an accident with an under aged son or daughter of a local judge or elected state official.

Very true Hoot. Unfornuately it doesn't always relate to someones wealth. A lot of times it is one person being "beholding" to another, be it judge, lawyer, or polititian and the inter-mingling that takes place between those sectors.

By the way, since you have been away, have you been aware of Eric C. Conn (Conn vs. con...now isn't that a play on words?) being a subject of an investigation on SSI fraud? I know the WSJ came out with a story and I think the Washington Post did as well.
Bob Seger Wrote:Very true Hoot. Unfornuately it doesn't always relate to someones wealth. A lot of times it is one person being "beholding" to another, be it judge, lawyer, or polititian and the inter-mingling that takes place between those sectors.

By the way, since you have been away, have you been aware of Eric C. Conn (Conn vs. con...now isn't that a play on words?) being a subject of an investigation on SSI fraud? I know the WSJ came out with a story and I think the Washington Post did as well.
No, I was unaware of that development. However, I am never shocked when the ambulance chasing type of attorneys are investigated for fraud.

However, I was painfully aware of the late rampant corruption by Ross Harris and his cohorts that nearly destroyed one of my former employers. Harris was later convicted on unrelated federal vote buying charges but never served a single day in prison because he was terminally ill with cancer. Several of his employees, who acted at Ross's direction, were sentenced to several years in prison. I trust that the individuals who inherited Ross's ill-gotten gains through the Floyd County justice system are enjoying their life of luxury. Unfortunately, Floyd County's government is probably not even close to being the most corrupt in eastern Kentucky.

Maybe other jurisdictions are as corrupt as eastern Kentucky and I am just not familiar enough with my surroundings to realize it. In the areas where I have lived since leaving Kentucky, it seems like the people who get special treatment in the legal system are illegal immigrants and the moocher class that relies on handouts to pay for their X-boxes, cable TV, and iPhones.

BTW, although I used Floyd County for my example, Johnson County's "justice" system is not much better. I am constantly amazed that a small county that boasts of so many large drug busts seems to still have such a serious illegal drug problem. It reminds me of the catch-and-release program that was in place for local bootleggers back when we were young.
Bob Seger Wrote:Looks like a graduate of one of our fine liberalist institutions of higher learning. More than likely a kid whose daddy pays all the bills to begin with.
Actually im a very conservative republican.
Secondly, i make my living in the coal industry now. After being in other parts of this country for the last year, ive seen the pure idiocy of retarded liberals and obama lovers. While i am not a coal miner, it is the coal miners and coal miners alone for the reason i have my job. Secondly i attended EKU so no different than a lot of other kids around this area.
Secondly mommy and daddy didnt pay for college. Both have been dead since before i was 13, so in response to your comment, you are totally off base and completely wrong.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Actually im a very conservative republican.
Secondly, i make my living in the coal industry now. After being in other parts of this country for the last year, ive seen the pure idiocy of retarded liberals and obama lovers. While i am not a coal miner, it is the coal miners and coal miners alone for the reason i have my job. Secondly i attended EKU so no different than a lot of other kids around this area.
Secondly mommy and daddy didnt pay for college. Both have been dead since before i was 13, so in response to your comment, you are totally off base and completely wrong.

Whoa here now, I wasn't talking about you or your post. I was agreeing with you in your statement regarding Ballers post. Sorry you took it that way. Hope I cleared that up.
Bob Seger Wrote:Whoa here now, I wasn't talking about you or your post. I was agreeing with you in your statement regarding Ballers post. Sorry you took it that way. Hope I cleared that up.

Sorry Segar. After realizing that you quoted me in order to show that it was the ads that you were referring to, i feel dumb.
My apologies, ive should have read it better.
I'm just pointing out that they are making too big of a deal about it. Enviromentalist and Coal companies both are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. IDC about coal mining, heck they make better money than most people around here,.. I just meant the whole "Don't like Coal? Don't use electricity" slur is kinda taking the whole thing a little far.
Ballers Wrote:I'm just pointing out that they are making too big of a deal about it. Enviromentalist and Coal companies both are blowing the whole thing out of proportion. IDC about coal mining, heck they make better money than most people around here,.. I just meant the whole "Don't like Coal? Don't use electricity" slur is kinda taking the whole thing a little far.
If you did know anything about the coal business, then you might feel much differently. Kentucky coal companies are already at a competitive disadvantage in many areas as compared to foreign competitors and competitors that are operating in the Powder River Basin in Wyoming. The policies that the Obama administration are adopting (with no new legislation, BTW) are threatening to drive coal operators in the central Appalachians out of business. As he is doing in so many areas, Obama is using executive authority to set aside the will of Congress and pander to the left wing of his party.

Obama is a job killer and I have no doubt if he had the option of being the first US King or the first US President, he would not have made the same decision as George Washington. Regulations enacted by the executive branch are supposed to comply with laws passed by Congress. Much of the damage being done by Obama's war on coal will eventually be repaired but it is no laughing matter. The bumper stickers are aimed at the hypocrites who consume vast quantities of electricity without appreciating the hard work that it takes by coal miners to deliver that power.
^Well I appreciate the coal miners for doing their work, I just feel like they are pointing at people with those bumper stickers that aren't even in the discussion of coal.. Everytime I see one of those stickers I feel like they are just being arrogant about the whole deal, and feel as myself am being convited of something I didn't even do.
Ballers Wrote:^Well I appreciate the coal miners for doing their work, I just feel like they are pointing at people with those bumper stickers that aren't even in the discussion of coal.. Everytime I see one of those stickers I feel like they are just being arrogant about the whole deal, and feel as myself am being convited of something I didn't even do.
If you live in Kentucky and coal from Columbia, South Africa, or the Powder River Basin becomes cheaper for power plants in the eastern United States to burn, your life will be affected whether you want to believe it or not. There is nothing arrogant about fighting to maintain one's way of life.

Western coal and imported coal has been used in various parts of the eastern US for several decades but every time that Washington bureaucrats take actions to drive up the cost of mining coal, a little more Kentucky coal gets displaced in the market. It is much cheaper to mine coal where seams are thick and the overburden covering the coal is thin.

Kentucky coal's only major advantages is that it (and other central Appalachian coal) is the highest quality coal found anywhere in the world and it is located closer to eastern coal-fired power plants.

Are you aware that you will soon be unable to buy incandescent light bulbs in Kentucky? Your choice in light bulbs will soon be between expensive compact fluorescent bulbs or even more expensive LEDs.

Texas (and maybe another state or two) has passed a law that will allow Texans to buy light bulbs made and sold within Texas. I don't know if such a law has been proposed in Kentucky but if not, maybe a bumper sticker would be in order.

Tree huggers and the liberal political hacks who do their bidding are destroying our economy.

[INDENT]
Quote:All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
[/INDENT]

A bumper sticker is not much but it is better than nothing.