Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Heat index of 104 and higher
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At Harlan the heat index has caused us to move practice times around and temps are supposed to climb in the coming days. I think the KHSAA should take this into account when calculating the beginning of practice. We already get one less week to prepare for the season as opposed to last season. Is it causing problems for other teams as well? Please post your thoughts.
I hope the coaches learn from the former PRP coach about hydration and heat exhaustion. Please, make practice very late at night and turn on the lights if you have to.
That's the case at Harlan. Practice under the lights and lots of water.
P'burgs practice start time has been pushed to 7pm because of heat.
I've found that many squads are practicing in the a.m. to avoid the heat and humidity. As I type this post it's already 94 at 10:45 a.m. in Covington, KY.
horst muhlmann Wrote:i've found that many squads are practicing in the a.m. To avoid the heat and humidity. As i type this post it's already 94 at 10:45 a.m. In covington, ky.

wow!
Paducah Tilghman has rented portable generators and lights for night practices on its unlighted practice field. Running 100s x 14 is not so oppressive with the sun out of the way.
Dragonsdad Wrote:At Harlan the heat index has caused us to move practice times around and temps are supposed to climb in the coming days. I think the KHSAA should take this into account when calculating the beginning of practice. We already get one less week to prepare for the season as opposed to last season. Is it causing problems for other teams as well? Please post your thoughts.

Are you proposing that they allow practices to start even earlier in June than they already do? I for one am against it when mandatory football practice has already shorten baseball players ability to play in the elite level tournaments that happen in late June and Early August. I am certainly not in favor of cutting into the summer baseball season even further.
Stardust, I am not proposing anything. I just know teams have less time to prepare for the season and with the heat the way it is we're having to cut back on two-a-days somewhat. By the time we play our gridorama we will have had 19 days of practice to get ready. The new kid's barely have enough time to learn the plays. Especially if you have a complex offense and defense. I think it only cuts down on the basic fundamentals that are taught to the players. Now as far as what the KHSAA can do about it,I haven't a clue. I know that all teams have the same preparation time,so it's all on an even keel and no team has an advantage. I am also a fan of baseball and I don't want to take away from them any at all.
^ Doesn't it only take away from hitting? Aren't teams practicing prior to the dead-period? I'm pretty sure reducing the amount of hitting has some advantages as well.
Stardust Wrote:Are you proposing that they allow practices to start even earlier in June than they already do? I for one am against it when mandatory football practice has already shorten baseball players ability to play in the elite level tournaments that happen in late June and Early August. I am certainly not in favor of cutting into the summer baseball season even further.

Stardust, who needs baseball. There is no sport on earth as great as football.
it was 103 in Irvine yesterday
I have heard many conflicting reports,as to when a team can actually have contact,on this site. I thought that after the first five days of practice a team could have contact. I have heard on this site that it was 7 days before school starts among other reports. So, I'm not sure. I will say this,a team can practice plays forever but it's a whole nuther story when it's a live scrimmage.I'm not sure but it seems like back in the day we started contact like after 3 days and had like a whole month of two-a-days before the gridorama. But that was way back in the early 80's and late 70's. Things have changed alot since then.
Contact cannot occur until August 1, correct me if I am wrong... Also, we started practicing at 8:00 A.M. to beat the heat and humidity.. We had to quit at 10:15 due to the heat and humidity on the turf..
Rockcastle starts practice at 9 AM every morning untill school starts
From KHSAA website:
Case BL-25-26-
When does contact football practice
begin?

The first date of contact practice is based on the first full day of
classes for the student body in each school. Contact practice
begins seven days prior to the first official day (which is the first
day prior to students). The following is the calendar for the next
several years.

First day of School for the student body First practice in pads
July 25-July 29, 2011 July 25, 2011
August 1- August 4, 2011 July 25, 2011
August 5, 2011 July 26, 2011
August 8, 2010 July 27, 2011
August 9, 2011 July 28, 2011
August 10, 2011 July 29, 2011
August 11 or later August 1, 2011

First day of School for the student body First practice in pads
August 9 or earlier, 2012 July 30, 2012
August 10, 2012 July 31, 2012
August 13 or later, 2012 August 1, 2012
Back in the day, practices couldn't begin until August 1st, and season openers typically were slated for Labor Day weekend. It worked really well for decades, so of course, it had to be changed.

Though granted, that was back before schools started their fall semesters so early . . . and before everyone began trying to fund their programs with "bowl game" receipts.

For my part, I would definitely start the season later, limit regular seasons to 9-10 weeks and cut at least one round from the current playoff system. And for those who think that those changes might short-change their kids' prospects for the NFL, well, I'd add another week or so to spring ball.

More ain't always better.
Im not sure what time Hazard practice but i go by there and i can see the stadium lights on at 530am in the morninig. I think it may be like 6 to 830 and at night like 7 to 9 or something not positive but trying to remember correctly. Im just having a brain fart today..
Bac2369,is that what is called "stinkin' thinkin'"?
The "problem" is school starting so early (as early as August 1st for some across the state). Back in the day(s), when school started in late August, there wasn't any need to start "practice" until the 1st of August or even the last week of July at the earliest. Why? Because you had practically a whole month to get practice in, which, typically meant a week of practice, then a few days of Two-A-Days, followed by a week of "camp" (where you could scrimmage any and everybody as much as you wanted), then an official scrimmage at the end of camp week, followed by week one of the season.

As far as Summer baseball getting cut shorter, well, tough. Not to turn this thread into that kind of debate, but football ends for most in mid November, and you can't do squat as far as any organized "practice" until given 10 whopping days in April (or round-a-bouts depending on when your basketball seasons are over). Baseball and basketball can play 872 games in June, then have "Open Gym" in July, not to mention AAU. They get heads and shoulders more time than football has ever thought about or ever will get, school affiliated or not. (Keep in mind, I'm not against those sports getting this time either, but why it takes an act of congress in trying to get football the same amount of competition before the actual season begins as they do, is beyond me.)
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Stardust, who needs baseball. There is no sport on earth as great as football.

:flush:

Actually, I do like both baseball and football. But I agree with Stardust in the sense that it is a shame where kids often are forced to choose between one sport or the other. There should be room enough for both.
More Cowbell Wrote::flush:

Actually, I do like both baseball and football. But I agree with Stardust in the sense that it is a shame where kids often are forced to choose between one sport or the other. There should be room enough for both.

That's the problem right there, especially in our schools of 1,000 kids or less and obviously more so for those 1A sized schools. Baseball, Basketball and Football coaches at all of these types of schools need to encourage their kids to play all three of these sports. The best athletes need to play all of them, that is, if they expect these programs to be good.

Thrwo track in there too. I've seen several double up with baseball and track. The faster you are, the better you are; that applies to every sport. I'm even starting to hear of football kids (skill types) running Cross Country on the side (Saturday mornings), even though they are in the same season; which makes sense to me, too (helps with conditioning, works the soreness out, etc.).