Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands/Trinity Scrimmage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If there was ever a scrimmage that warranted 4wks of discussion, it would be this one. Ask anyone and they'll tell you that this will be a game, not a scrimmage. Many questions surround a game like this, but one of the most intriguing would have to center around the possibility of the Birds winning. If Highlands pulls of a scrimmage upset over a national top 20 team, where will that put Highlands in the polls even if its a scrimmage win? What's at stake on Aug 12th?
whackem, I agree with you that this scrimmage is more of a game than the typical scrimmage. It was last year; it will be this year. I read an article on Trinity somewhere and Trinity's coach basically said the same thing.

Trinity is expected to be loaded this year and has more returning starters I'm told than Highlands does. Plus the game, I mean scrimmage, is at Trinity. I expect Trinity to prevail. It was an extremely close game last year, but the roles were reversed (Highlands had more starters and more experienced players returning and the game was at Highlands). It won't surprise me if Trinity prevails by 14 or more points.

But it will be a great learning experience for the young Birds and will certainly help them prepare for Boyle County the following week.
Don't really think that this game means anything. It is being played by 2 teams who are afraid to play a real game. If they weren't scared they would sign a deal and play. The scrimmage gives the loser a way out. They will always be able to say " it was just a scrimmage" and wouldn't have to face the fact that they got beat.

Don't know who will win and frankly don't care. Both teams have many advantages that most schools will never have. Both schools have history and reputations that they need to maintain. Neither could afford a blow to their ego.

Play the game and then lets talk about rankings and who is better. Until then it is just practice. The only winner will be the host school because they will get all the hot dog money.
heard that Trinity supposedly signed to play Hoover AL in 2011 & 2012 but nothing can be found confirming it
charlie22 Wrote:whackem, I agree with you that this scrimmage is more of a game than the typical scrimmage. It was last year; it will be this year. I read an article on Trinity somewhere and Trinity's coach basically said the same thing.

Trinity is expected to be loaded this year and has more returning starters I'm told than Highlands does. Plus the game, I mean scrimmage, is at Trinity. I expect Trinity to prevail. It was an extremely close game last year, but the roles were reversed (Highlands had more starters and more experienced players returning and the game was at Highlands). It won't surprise me if Trinity prevails by 14 or more points.

But it will be a great learning experience for the young Birds and will certainly help them prepare for Boyle County the following week.

I think the Birds are going to surprise even themselves at how well they hang with the Rocks. Hopefully our ailing Bird will be back to 100% for this one. If so, I really like our chances.
fanof87 Wrote:Don't really think that this game means anything. It is being played by 2 teams who are afraid to play a real game. If they weren't scared they would sign a deal and play. The scrimmage gives the loser a way out. They will always be able to say " it was just a scrimmage" and wouldn't have to face the fact that they got beat.

Don't know who will win and frankly don't care. Both teams have many advantages that most schools will never have. Both schools have history and reputations that they need to maintain. Neither could afford a blow to their ego.

Play the game and then lets talk about rankings and who is better. Until then it is just practice. The only winner will be the host school because they will get all the hot dog money.

Definitely not feeling any love for Highlands or Trinity. :biggrin:

By the way, I didn't hear one Highlands player, coach or fan say after last year's loss to Trinity: "It was only a scrimmage". So Highlands wasn't using such as a "way out" of anything. Both teams played to win and the better team that day won. But things worked out alright for the Birds last year. Not a bad season.

Furthermore, given the teams Highlands has scheduled in the past(Cincy Elder, Cincy St. X, Cincy Colerain, Lou St. X; and Cincy Elder is again on the schedule this year) I seriously doubt Highlands is worried about a loss hurting the ego. And along those same lines, have you checked out Trinity's schedule this year? It is amazingly tough. Doesn't appear that they are worried about their egos being hurt by a loss.
Money buys happiness :please:
Furthermore, given the teams Highlands has scheduled in the past(Cincy Elder, Cincy St. X, Cincy Colerain, Lou St. X; and Cincy Elder is again on the schedule this year) I seriously doubt Highlands is worried about a loss hurting the ego. And along those same lines, have you checked out Trinity's schedule this year? It is amazingly tough. Doesn't appear that they are worried about their egos being hurt by a loss.[/QUOTE]

A loss to a powerhouse from another state is one thing. Getting beat by another school in Kentucky would hurt. Trinity fans are always talking about being the best of Kentucky. I keep hearing about National Rankings. Why not play FTH in a game that matters. Who is the big dog in the yard?

Again if it is going to be played like a game, why not make it a game and sign on the dotted line.
I hate to say I kind of agree. Highlands and Trinity should play like every year. They have been the the top two schools in the state for like 20 years (with St X being the red headed step child). I dont think Highlands is scared of playing them at all; Highlands has a hard time getting games because of the following. Trinity is a tough program, I think they may be little scared of a loss to Highlands just because it is such a smaller school. It hurts a tiny bit to lose to St Gianormous in Ohio, but a loss to lil old highlands would be deadly.

on the other hand i disagree with the scrimmage's significance. It is more than a scrimmage. It is a for real measuring stick for both programs that is invaluable. It is a mock game against a real team. It will show the coaches weakness that only games expose but it wont be a game...or will it?
oh yeah, game prediction:

it could frightful for the defenses.
trinity wins 54-49.
Actually, this will be a fun scrimmage. As a fan that has sat thru many of these scrimmages and really want to win, it is completely frustrating to me because I know Dale will mix up the personnel to see what they can do and get them experience. Not an excuse but an honest observation after watching a billion Highlands scrimmages under Dale . And I love every minute of it.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:If Highlands pulls of a scrimmage upset over a national top 20 team, where will that put Highlands in the polls even if its a scrimmage win? What's at stake on Aug 12th?

Nothing is at stake because it's a scrimmage. If Highlands beats Trinity, nothing will happen, because it's a scrimmage. If Trinity beats Highlands, nothing will happen, becuase it's a scrimmage. If the scrimmage ends in a tie, nothing will happen, because it's a scrimmage.

HOWEVER... This will be one awesome scrimmage to watch.
birdman44 Wrote:Highlands and Trinity should play like every year.

I agree. Forget about the Cincinnati schools unless there's a hole in the schedule that Kentucky teams are afraid to plug. I'll travel to Louisville for a Highlands/Trinity scrimmage, but wouldn't be caught dead at Elder, Colerain, etc. Not interested in the least.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I agree. Forget about the Cincinnati schools unless there's a hole in the schedule that Kentucky teams are afraid to plug. I'll travel to Louisville for a Highlands/Trinity scrimmage, but wouldn't be caught dead at Elder, Colerain, etc. Not interested in the least.

I too would love to see Highlands and Trinity play during the regular season. But we'll disagree mightily about not being interested in attending Highlands (or any other N. Ky school) vs Elder, Colerain or other Cincy schools. I love seeing how the N. Ky schools matchup against the better Ohio schools. Great barometer.
charlie22 Wrote:Great barometer.

yes, i love the NKY vs Ohio and GCL. Its been proven by them 'birds that it can be done (StX). Hell, just about everytime Highlands has lost to the likes of Colrain, Elder, Moeller, StX..etc, its been by like less than 6 points.

Highlands should play Trinity every year and a GCL or Colrain every year. It would make us way better. Then playing Johnson Central wont be such a tall order.
Look at Trinity's schedule, it is a freak show I think they're playing Boise State and maybe the 49ers. Thats how we should roll.
I see that Trinity is only playing three KY school, the ones that are required to play them.

Does that tell you something?

It speaks volumes to me. Maybe the KHSAA should take note.

Furthermore, IMO, there is no incentive for Highlands to play Trinity to play in a regular season game. Highlands can get the competition they need to make themselves better with in 30 miles (Colerain, Elder, St. X and Moeller). Why go 100 miles (each way) to St. Mathews? Financially for their bus costs, etc. and the fan's travel, it is better to stay close to home.

BTW, why do many people refer to Highlands as Fort Thomas Highlands but do not refer to Beechwood as Fort Mitchell Beechwood?
Wise one Wrote:I see that Trinity is only playing three KY school, the ones that are required to play them.

BTW, why do many people refer to Highlands as Fort Thomas Highlands but do not refer to Beechwood as Fort Mitchell Beechwood?

good questions, i think there needs too be a rule that atleast half of your games should be against Kentucky schools.

And I don't know the answer to the 2nd one. My guess is because the names of the school districts theyre in. Highlands is part of Ft. Thomas Public Schools and Beechwood is part of Beechwood Public Schools.
Can someone posts "players to watch" for both squads of this game?
Stardust Wrote:"players to watch"

HIGHLANDS

QB - Patrick Towles
RBs - True, Seidle
WR - Sheehan, Collinsworth,

Def - Bruns Bros.(DB,DL), Quillen(LB)

TRINITY

QB - Travis Wright
RB/WR - Quick, Dawkins

Def- White and Smith DBs
Thx Birdman
Stardust Wrote:Can someone posts "players to watch" for both squads of this game?

I'll take a different approach than b44: the players to watch are the new starting O linemen on Highlands squad. They do just a decent job run and pass blocking against T and I'll be very optimistic about our chances against Boyle and the rest of the season. Also will be watching the 2 new starting D linemen. Getting a strong performance out of the D line positions is critical to keeping our lbers freed up to run the field and make tackles.
Yeah, I listed the obvious score box personnel. The O and D line are the critical factors for this year's Highlands squad. Somebody has to step it up.
Who are the new starting OL & DL? I heard that Houston and Hope were looking good since last season on D.
I have no clue who is on OLine, I would love to see if soph kendall kramer was getting any time.
Wise one Wrote:I see that Trinity is only playing three KY school, the ones that are required to play them.

It speaks volumes to me. Maybe the KHSAA should take note.

FWIW, the general understanding is that Trinity has A LOT of trouble getting local Louisville schools, and most state schools, to play it. I am by no means a Trinity apologist but it takes two to make an agreement; it can't demand games from teams that don't want to take the probable "L." Plus there are apparently some hard feelings between the publics and privates in Louisville (and throughout the state for that matter) that has resulted in an informal boycott of the privates, especially Trinity. So leaving aside the issues as to why it has these difficulties (which are many and have been debated ad naseum in previous threads) there is no fault by Trinity as to the necessity of this particular schedule.
birdman44 Wrote:Yeah, I listed the obvious score box personnel. The O and D line are the critical factors for this year's Highlands squad. Somebody has to step it up.
Who are the new starting OL & DL? I heard that Houston and Hope were looking good since last season on D.
I have no clue who is on OLine, I would love to see if soph kendall kramer was getting any time.

I don't think the O line will be finalized until after 2 a days and maybe not until after the Trinity scrimmage. Trapp and Robinson return as a guard and a tackle, but the other 3 spots are pretty much still in contention from what I know. Lots of quality candidates so I think we'll be fine once the O line is set and they get several games to work together and gel as a unit. I caution people not to panic if the O line doesn't look great during the first several games. It takes several games for the kids to make the adjustment to varsity ball and to learn to work as a unit together.

I think Bruns and Houston are pretty much givens for 2 of the 3 DL spots with the 3rd position still in contention.

As for Kramer (or any sophomore O lineman for that matter), it would be really unusual for a sophomore to get much quality playing time as an O lineman (and by quality playing time, I mean when the game is still in question) barring a lot of injuries. If there is one position in Highlands system that requires a combination of strength, speed and quickness gained through physical maturity, it's the O line positions. Some sophomores are big and strong, but haven't developed the quickness and speed needed. Others are small and quick, but haven't yet developed the needed strength. It takes all of those qualities to play O line in Highlands system. We've had a lot of exceptional O linemen over the years but very, very few have sniffed the field during meaningful play and even fewer have cracked the starting lineup.
How is Meyer? I would have thought he would be the starting center this fall. Is he fighing an injury or getting pushed hard?
jackal405 Wrote:How is Meyer? I would have thought he would be the starting center this fall. Is he fighing an injury or getting pushed hard?

If you're referring to Mitch Meyer, he was the long snapper last year and I'd think he'd fill that roll again. Not sure if he's in the mix for the starting center. I've heard a couple of names including Mitch Dee as the center. Agree with others that we won't know the other O-lineman (other than Trapp and Robinson) until the Trinity scrimmage.
I want to see some score predictions....It's good entertainment. I'm going with the Birds 38-35.
Quote:HIGHLANDS

QB - Patrick Towles
RBs - True, Seidle
WR - Sheehan, Collinsworth,

Def - Bruns Bros.(DB,DL), Quillen(LB)

TRINITY

QB - Travis Wright
RB/WR - Quick, Dawkins

Def- White and Smith DBs

more trinity players to watch
DE-Jason Hatcher (#6 ranked player in 2013)
OT-Joey Warburg (illinois commit)
DT-Adam Berry (AP All State 1st team)
ATH - Reggie Bonnafon (#5 in 2014)

trinity also has a frosh backing up dawkins in the backfield dont know how good he is but to have a freshman on varsity at a program like trinity is saying something
^ Do you have the Frosh's name?
I can't remember it for the life of me but I will ask my little brother
Pages: 1 2