Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone! I wanted to inform every one of all of the projects that are currently going on in Pikeville. I would even say that there might be some other things going on that I may not even know about.

The University of Pikeville-Kentucky School of Osteopathic Medicine:
A new 9 story building housing multiple campus related activities but will allow the med school to expand to around 120 per class. The new Coal Building will include a new cafeteria, plenty of instructional and office space and specially-equipped examination rooms that will benefit the students and the public who receive free outpatient services from doctors in training. The pictures for this building look beautiful and I cannot wait for it to be completed.

Pikeville Medical Center:
The hospital is building a new 11 story office building in front of the existing May tower. Next to this building will be a 931 space parking structure and will help allow the hospital to adapt a more clinic style much like that of the hospitals in bigger cities. People may complain about this hospital but it really a unique med center in the middle of rural Kentucky.

Pike County Courthouse:Pikeville is in the process of building a new fiscal courthouse and should be finished within the next year. This building took away some of the historical buildings in the downtown area but it is a sacrifice to allow the county the opportunity to have a building such as this. The plans look amazing and this will be a beautiful building for downtown Pikeville.

Shelby Valley:On down US-23 Shelby Valley High School's campus will soon be shared with another school as the new 3 story educational building for kids from kindergarten to 8th grade will be completed within the next two years. This school will be combining Virgie Middle School, Robinson Creek Elementary School, and George F. Johnson Elementary School into one.

EQT:This gas company plans to locate in the county, bringing 100 well paying jobs. EQT, formerly known as Equitable Resources, is opening a new headquarters at Scott Fork. EQT is the largest natural gas producer in the Appalachian basin with 3.4 million acres, proved natural gas reserves of 3.3 trillion cubic feet, and approximately 13,000 productive wells. In 2008, EQT invested more than $762 million in Kentucky natural gas production and transportation, and had an estimated $1.7 billion impact on the eastern Kentucky economy. In addition to its eastern Kentucky operations, EQT also has natural gas operations in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.

Hilton Inn:Next to the Hampton Inn, there will soon be yet another motel to serve the area. This new hotel is suppose to be connected to the Hampton via the pool area and will house a restaurant on the lower floor.

Road construction:Construction taking place on U.S. 460 is expected to reel in more than 100 Pike County jobs. Right-of-way acquisition and utility relocation efforts have been ongoing for several years for the project, which will expand U.S. 460 for 16 miles from U.S. 23 in Yeager to Virginia.

Texas Road House:
This steakhouse is currently being built behind Wal-Mart on Cassidy Bld. will should be completed before the end of the year. Along with the new restaurant, Pikeville is supposed to be building an outlet road from U.S. 23 over the Big Sandy to the newly developed area.
Ive never head any complaints on Pikeville Medical.
It's pretty cool to see it all going up! Great for the city!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Ive never head any complaints on Pikeville Medical.

Never heard any complaints??????????? No offense to the fine people that work there because I know some of them are fine, BUT I've never heard anything good about the place.
Love it. I am in Pikeville from time to time. Where is the best place to take a lady out to eat in Pikeville?

And another question. I have some friends that go to the Mark 2 a lot. What is it like?
Best place to eat is Chirico's.... but I also love Italian food.
Ballers Wrote:Love it. I am in Pikeville from time to time. Where is the best place to take a lady out to eat in Pikeville?

And another question. I have some friends that go to the Mark 2 a lot. What is it like?

Half the crowd is tough and ruthless. The other half is rough and toothless.
If you do make it towards Pikeville, go downtown to look at the 15 story crane that is helping to build the med school. It is kind of crazy looking.
Sounds like Pikeville is booming!
I hope that they can get the expo center thriving somehow. My small town really does have eveything that you would need to be content.
jetpilot Wrote:Half the crowd is tough and ruthless. The other half is rough and toothless.

What? lol.....
Westside Wrote:Never heard any complaints??????????? No offense to the fine people that work there because I know some of them are fine, BUT I've never heard anything good about the place.

When you have three rivers, Highlands, And Paul B hall, Pikeville medical center is cream of the crop.
Good things said about a hospital never make the news but one bad thing by some uneducated fool will make noise in every holler in the area. You can't please no one. A person can come in having a heart attack and you save their life but one person in their family doesn't like how you only gave them Tylenol, well then your hospital ain't worth a shit. That's the mentality of most people.

Oh back on topic, I love how Pikeville is growing. Wish it would get bigger. I just wish it wasn't spead out as it is. I always wished it was more condensed. Make it feel more "big city".
#1 complaint with Pikeville.

The Expo Center location.

The majority of Civic Center/Arenas are a lose money/break even at best proposition. What they do though is bring in money to shopping/dining/hotels. Pikeville has very little of the above.

The Expo needed to be located to shopping and dining similar to Huntington and Charleston. The ways its located you have........nothing.

You also can't drink a beer in the Pikeville without the worry of one the City Police harassing/arresting you.
The shopping left the downtown so long ago I think that there wasn't too much of another option with a location for the building. I think that the only other place that could have benefitted from the extending business of an expo center would have been over on cassidy blvd, but that would have been the biggest cluster-bomb ever imagined. I think that the expo can be saved and help boost the local economy but they HAVE TO get acts in there.
NEXT Wrote:#1 complaint with Pikeville.

The Expo Center location.

The majority of Civic Center/Arenas are a lose money/break even at best proposition. What they do though is bring in money to shopping/dining/hotels. Pikeville has very little of the above.

The Expo needed to be located to shopping and dining similar to Huntington and Charleston. The ways its located you have........nothing.

You also can't drink a beer in the Pikeville without the worry of one the City Police harassing/arresting you.

The bolded is terrible.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:When you have three rivers, Highlands, And Paul B hall, Pikeville medical center is cream of the crop.

I can't argue with you on that. Is Pikeville better than Highlands? I honestly don't know.
Can someone answer my questions? I know a lot of you are native of Pikeville.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Road construction:Construction taking place on U.S. 460 is expected to reel in more than 100 Pike County jobs. Right-of-way acquisition and utility relocation efforts have been ongoing for several years for the project, which will expand U.S. 460 for 16 miles from U.S. 23 in Yeager to Virginia.

"expand"? Uh-uh... 460 is being moved 1-3 miles west of it's current routing to create a limited-acceess, 4-lane route to the Breaks Interstate Park (projected completion is 10 years from now).
Va. is also working on a new 4-lane from Grundy to the Breaks for our part of 460. Current work is being done in conjunction with Coalfields Expressway work.
And I have no idea where Yaeger is, but the new 460 will divert from 23 near Robinson Creek, about a mile from SVHS.
Westside Wrote:I can't argue with you on that. Is Pikeville better than Highlands? I honestly don't know.

I wouldnt go to highlands for nothing. If i was dieing and was in prestonsburg i would run to pikeville.
Ballers Wrote:Love it. I am in Pikeville from time to time. Where is the best place to take a lady out to eat in Pikeville?

Take your girl to Peking's (Chinese/Japanese) for some hibachi fillet. Good experience for first timers to that style of cooking. Other than that you got two Mexican places, Applebee's, Chirico's (Italian), Reno's (steakhouse), and soon to be Texas Roadhouse.

The Mark 2 or "Stretchmark" is a typical bar. Lost of people drunk and smoking. Most are older than u think though. Not a big 20 something crowd. I wouldn't recommend taking ur date there. It is an alright place to go and have some drinks with friends but it is usually really packed on Saturday nights. I haven't been in like 8 years.
VHSL-helper Wrote:"expand"? Uh-uh... 460 is being moved 1-3 miles west of it's current routing to create a limited-acceess, 4-lane route to the Breaks Interstate Park (projected completion is 10 years from now).
Va. is also working on a new 4-lane from Grundy to the Breaks for our part of 460. Current work is being done in conjunction with Coalfields Expressway work.

That lil quote is from a website that I found talking about the overall project. It is exactly what they had on their article. Sorry about that. :Thumbs:
Either way, you look at it, it is going to be a great thing for the area!
Also, There will be a Pig N a Poke going in where the Mineshaft was.
Would love to move down to Pikeville but it isn't going to happen.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Would love to move down to Pikeville but it isn't going to happen.

I'd love to move back home. It will always be what I am working towards!
Panther Thunder Wrote:Also, There will be a Pig N a Poke going in where the Mineshaft was.

Goodluck trying to get into that place for about a month.

Place rules.
I am PUMPED for Pig N a Poke. I have heard SOOooooo many good things about it!
VHSL-helper Wrote:"expand"? Uh-uh... 460 is being moved 1-3 miles west of it's current routing to create a limited-acceess, 4-lane route to the Breaks Interstate Park (projected completion is 10 years from now).

VHSL-helper Wrote:And I have no idea where Yaeger is, but the new 460 will divert from 23 near Robinson Creek, about a mile from SVHS.

First, Yeager is actually right where you said, it is between Collins and Robinson Creek on the old US 23 2-lane. The twin bridges that have already been built to connect the new 460 with the existing 23 go right over top of the 2-lane at Yeager.

I drive through the construction at Robinson Creek frequently and I have to admit I don't exactly understand what they're doing. So far, it looks like they've blown off the top of the mountain on one side of the road, and made a huge mound of dirt on the other side...
I dont even understand why. it's much quicker (not to mention cheaper) to go down the current 460 threw Elkhorn then it would be blow up half of the Appalachians, make a mess, and cut driving time by probably no less then 5 minuets.
Pages: 1 2