Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Wesley Christian School asking players to transfer!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the ramifications for a school trying to become part of the KHSAA that is actively persuading and succeeding in getting players to transfer from the local public schools to play basketball?
There are no ramifications to a non-member of KHSAA. Recruiting is allowed for all schools that are not members and and will play no role in KHSAA's decision on whether to accept them or not.
Stardust Wrote:There are no ramifications to a non-member of KHSAA. Recruiting is allowed for all schools that are not members and and will play no role in KHSAA's decision on whether to accept them or not.

So, let me as ask this question. If a player starts their career at a KHSAA affiliated high school and transfers to a non affiliated private school (Wesley Christian) and plays a year outside of KHSAA affliation and then the private school is approved for KHSAA play and assigned a district is that player/s elligible to compete the following year upon approval? What if none of the normal requirements for transfer eligibility are met such as a change of address/divorce/ etc have happened. I hearing a lot of grumbling from 58th district schools about contact with players and I very curious how this will turn out.
Since they are not affiliated with the KHSAA, any player can transfer to their school with no penalty. Once the school is approved for membership into KHSAA, then those players are locked into that school after they have competed in 1 season of Varsity sports. The opposite can happen as well. Any athlete that is at that school can transfer to a KHSAA school with no repercussions as well. Even though WC may play a Varsity schedule now, it is not sanctioned, thus those players are not bound by KHSAA rules.

I certainly do understand the other schools issue. I'm not saying that what WC is doing is not "bush-league", I'm just saying what they are doing is within their rights and rules. I can see issues coming from teams that may blackball them off of their schedule. Teams in their District have to play them, but after that, other teams do not have to schedule them.
Simple Fact, if they get in the KHSAA then their players will not be eligible due to KHSAA rules. If they are not part of the KHSAA then they will end up playing any of the other teams they can find for no district, regional or state title chances. I have heard people say that it will take at least a year. Our Floyd county boys that they are trying to recruit need to know these things. I have heard they are tying to get them by saying how they are going to play all across America in all these great gyms. I bet they will be more people at our district tournament than any place they will ever play. If they were smart they would recruit out of the district because they are going to make so many people mad, eventually no one will play them. I already have heard several people talking about trying to get them off their schedule in middle school and K-5 for next year. Why would anyone want to play them when they know that all they are doing is trying to recruit their players? A lot of people may not like this post but it is nothing but the truth and everyone knows it!
^ You are going to have to show me the simple "fact". KHSAA has no restrictions for players transferring to non-member schools. KHSAA does have guidelines for accepting schools into their sanctioning body. There are no restrictions on any player at those schools. KHSAA does have the right to place a new school on a probationary period when first entering, but there is no known case when they have done that.
Sorry, I probably was not clear. I agree with you. I was saying that if they become eligible this year then those players would not be eligible. So any player that transfers there would be a least two years away and that would not be a guarantee. Most of them would not know this and I am sure that it would not be told to them.
^ gotcha. Yes, you are dead-on. The kids certainly are being mislead to believe that sanctioning in KHSAA is a given and they will be eligible for tournament play right away. As you said, I believe schools will blackball them and can understand why.
I'm sure Wesley Christian isn't the only school in Floyd County or the 15th or the state that has talked to kids about changing schools. I saw a few schools that had several new faces at camps this summer. Some of them from teams within their own district. Are those teams going to blackball each other? Probably not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I called the school I was informed that they wouldn't be applying for the KHSAA this season so it doesn't appear they"re trying to hide the fact that they don't want in this year.
Looking at it from the outside i'm not sure why they would want in anyway. Play who you can play and have fun doing it. I've heard people talking about kids being knocked out of a chance to play in the state tournament and my thoughts are if they don't have any kids from Shelby Valley then they're not knocking any kid out of a chance to play at the state tournament. Because Valley owns region 15>
Just my two cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MaysBranch Wrote:I'm sure Wesley Christian isn't the only school in Floyd County or the 15th or the state that has talked to kids about changing schools. I saw a few schools that had several new faces at camps this summer. Some of them from teams within their own district. Are those teams going to blackball each other? Probably not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When I called the school I was informed that they wouldn't be applying for the KHSAA this season so it doesn't appear they"re trying to hide the fact that they don't want in this year.
Looking at it from the outside i'm not sure why they would want in anyway. Play who you can play and have fun doing it. I've heard people talking about kids being knocked out of a chance to play in the state tournament and my thoughts are if they don't have any kids from Shelby Valley then they're not knocking any kid out of a chance to play at the state tournament. Because Valley owns region 15>
Just my two cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very true.