Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 2011/12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do the Tigers need to do to improve from last year's 22-10 Team that made it to the 13th Region Tournament?

Dec 2, 11 Lynn Camp home 7:45 PM
Dec 3, 11 Jackson County home 7:45 PM
Dec 6, 11 Corbin home 7:30 PM
Dec 8, 11 Williamsburg home 7:30 PM
Dec 10, 11 Leslie County home 8:00 PM
Dec 16, 11 Knox Central home 7:30 PM
Dec 19, 11 TBA at McCreary Central KFC Holiday Classic
Dec 20, 11 TBA at McCreary Central KFC Holiday Classic
Dec 21, 11 TBA at McCreary Central KFC Holiday Classic
Dec 22, 11 TBA at McCreary Central KFC Holiday Classic
Dec 27, 11 TBA at Lloyd Memorial Lloyd Memorial Classic
Dec 28, 11 TBA at Lloyd Memorial Lloyd Memorial Classic
Dec 29, 11 TBA at Lloyd Memorial Lloyd Memorial Classic
Dec 30, 11 TBA at Lloyd Memorial Lloyd Memorial Classic
Jan 3, 12 Wayne County away 7:30 PM
Jan 10, 12 TBA at Knott County Central WYMT Classic
Jan 17, 12 Oneida Baptist Institute away 7:30 PM
Jan 20, 12 North Laurel home 7:30 PM
Jan 24, 12 Bell County away 7:30 PM
Jan 27, 12 Garrard County home 7:30 PM
Jan 28, 12 Whitley County away 7:30 PM
Jan 31, 12 Pineville away 7:30 PM
Feb 3, 12 Lexington Catholic home 7:30 PM
Feb 7, 12 South Laurel away 7:30 PM
Feb 10, 12 Breathitt County home 7:30 PM
Feb 16, 12 Middlesboro home 7:30 PM

Dec. 2-3 = Big Red Shootout
Dec. 10 = Bobby Keith Classic
Lost a very talented group of seniors. It wont be easy to replace that group. I also believe they only return one starter.
Clay has a very big and talented team back next year. They had the best JV team in the region last year. McGorge is also one of the top returning players in the region. Not to mention a schedule like that should produce at least 25 wins.
WOW! Rob really toned the schedule down. That is crazy. They still need to play the top talent. Clay will be alright. They will be very competitive in the region. McDaniel and McGeorge should be able to keep them in most games. Throw in their big kids and underneath and they have a shot.
I personally dont see a big drop-off this year for Clay. They have a soild group of returning players. Yeah they lost a ton of seniors, but this will be a hard-nosed and hard-working group of kids. Defintely a top 4 team in the region.
The schedule looks pretty weak, but either way this years team will be much more fun to watch. More athletic than last years team. They are quick at every position and have decent size with the gaurds all being 6'2 to 6'3 except for Mcdaniel. Look for them to play more of an uptempo style and get after you on defense.
After watching a few summer games, Mcdaniel may not be ready to carry them as was mentioned ( he will play a vital role though), but they have 7 or 8 guys that can score so teams will not be able to key on 1 or 2 players. Wagers and Lyttle looked really good on the interior even when facing larger competition . They should compete for the region with Harlan County probably being the favorite to start the season.
Clay lost a ton of scoring and have a huge question mark at Coach IMO. They will have some size but putting the ball in the hole could be difficult.

Top 5
1a. Knox Central
1b. Harlan Co
3. Bell
4. Corbin
5. Clay
My top 5 has changed after Broughton left Knox Central. They would have been the top team in the region if he had not left.

1. Bell Co.- They Return Lee, Lefevers, and Cox.
2. Clay Co.- Good size to go along with McGorge who can score.
3. Harlan Co.- They have solid guards, but lack size like Clay and Bell on the block.
4. Barbourville- Broughton and Hildebran makes them one of the top 5 teams
5. Knox Central- Barger is one of the top players in the region, and should keep them in most games.

Top 5 Players
1. Smith- Corbin
2. Lee- Bell Co.
3. Barger-Knox Central
4.-Broughton- Barborville
5. Brewer- Harlan Co./ McGeorge- Clay Co.
Harlan County
Knox Central
Clay County
Bell County
Barbourville
South Laurel
Corbin
North Laurel
Jackson County
Middlesboro
Harlan County
Knox Central
Clay Co
South Laurel
Barbourville
Bell Co
North Laurel
Corbin
Middlesboro
Williamsburg

Clay will be in the mix for a region championship again, just need to find consistent scoring. Saw Bell Co at the state in June and desperately need a ball handler, could have been missing someone, not sure though.....
Mountain Wrote:My top 5 has changed after Broughton left Knox Central. They would have been the top team in the region if he had not left.

1. Bell Co.- They Return Lee, Lefevers, and Cox.
2. Clay Co.- Good size to go along with McGorge who can score.
3. Harlan Co.- They have solid guards, but lack size like Clay and Bell on the block.
4. Barbourville- Broughton and Hildebran makes them one of the top 5 teams
5. Knox Central- Barger is one of the top players in the region, and should keep them in most games.

Clay and Bell have 6-4 guys in the post. Harlan County's starters inside are an inch shorter and Aaron Caldwell outscored anybody Clay and Bell have coming back in the post.
mountain_music Wrote:Harlan County
Knox Central
Clay Co
South Laurel
Barbourville
Bell Co
North Laurel
Corbin
Middlesboro
Williamsburg

Clay will be in the mix for a region championship again, just need to find consistent scoring. Saw Bell Co at the state in June and desperately need a ball handler, could have been missing someone, not sure though.....

Bell had everyone there at the AAU tourney, unless Osolonian shows up in November. They didn't look good there, but they really only have three players with varsity experience. They'll get better. Their JV team looked good and two of those guys will start on varsity and several others will play a lot.
You win with guards and Harlan County, South Laurel and Knox Central/B-ville probaby has the best guards.
I agree with you New Guy about guards win games. You also need a big man that can get you a basket to help take pressure off your guards. I would say the top big man in the region next year will be the kid from Whitley Co.
Petrey had some nice games last year. Pineville's Byron Asher will be the only post player ranked in the top 10 in the region.
I was told from some guys from Clay County who I talked to in a golf outing at Crooked Creek that the freshman McDaniel was one of the best guards in the mountains and would be a future D-1 player. I haven't seen him play and they might have been overly optimistic about his ability. One of them said he was a much better guard than the Beverly kid at Perry Central. If that's true then he's going to be a dandy because Beverly was very impressive last year.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I was told from some guys from Clay County who I talked to in a golf outing at Crooked Creek that the freshman McDaniel was one of the best guards in the mountains and would be a future D-1 player. I haven't seen him play and they might have been overly optimistic about his ability. One of them said he was a much better guard than the Beverly kid at Perry Central. If that's true then he's going to be a dandy because Beverly was very impressive last year.

Mcdaniel is future D1 golfer. He is good but not future D1 in basketball. As for the Beverly kid, McDaniel is close to him but not a much better guard. Clay will surprise many with their guard play though as they are long and quick and very deep at the 1, 2, and 3 spots.
i think that clay will be ok i have them rated in the middle around 4 or 5 just because know one knows how good they can be but i dont like the eazy schedule they have i think they are alot better then the schedule say to me you have to play better teams to get better i hope that dont hurt them and i think we should have play harlan county i think they will be preseason number 1.....but clay going to be good if they dont overlook know one...