Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Suns to waive Vince Carter. Could he land in Chicago?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Over the weekend, the Arizona Republic reported that the Phoenix Suns are going to waive Vince Carter at some point in the next few days.

Carter would have been owed over $18 million next year, but only $4 million of that is guaranteed. So the Suns will pay him that amount in a buyout and send him on his way.
Once upon a time, Carter was one of the league's best scorers. He never won a scoring title, but had 10 straight seasons in which he averaged at least 20 points a game from the '99-00 season through '08-09.

As a member of the Orlando Magic and Phoenix Suns, he saw his scoring average drop off a decent amount. His decline isn't entirely a product of aging, but rather a combination of that and the situations he was in.

At 34, the once electric Carter has clearly lost a step (or two), but he may still have a lot to offer a contending team in need of some perimeter scoring.
Enter the Chicago Bulls and the gaping hole that is smack dab in the middle of their starting lineup. No team's positional need was as highly publicized as the Bulls' need for a shooting guard last year.
[URL="http://bleacherreport.com/derrick-rose"]
[/URL]
Derrick Rose was under an immense amount of pressure last season, as he had to carry the team by himself for a significant amount of Chicago's wins.
They need someone else who can create a shot. While Carter can't do that the way he once did, he's still leaps and bounds ahead of Keith Bogans or Kyle Korver in that department.

The Bulls could also use more perimeter shooting to stretch the floor and open the lane for Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer. For his career, Carter has hit 37 percent of his three-point attempts and one skill that typically improves with old age is outside shooting (just ask Jason Kidd).

I'm not saying Carter is the answer for the Bulls. His attitude and defense may not fit Chicago's system, but he's certainly an option.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/74122...sg-problem
^Better hope not LOL..
He comes with a pretty big contract unless they just do like a one year deal.
That would be a lot of wasted money to pick-up VC. But, they already proved they don't care to waste money by doing the deal for Boozer that they did.
I think it would be a good pick up. vincanity isnt as electrifying as he once was, but still a good player.
He's definitely an improvement at the SG position. I'm sure the Bulls and him can work a deal out.
I'd want Vince Carter before Oj Mayo...
^ agree
ekff Wrote:I'd want Vince Carter before Oj Mayo...

Vince maybe has a year or two left in the tank MAX.
I would opt for Mayo.
zaga_fan Wrote:Vince maybe has a year or two left in the tank MAX.
I would opt for Mayo.

I understand where you coming from... I just don't think Mayo is going to be that good for the next 5 years... I'd take Carter's 2 years over Mayo's 5....

Mayo will be a 10 to 12 points a game player for 2 to 4 years...

And other teams will respect Vince a lot more then Mayo and that will open it up for Rose to create more...
Man, me and you have been disagreeing a lot lately! OJ is definitely the better option between him and Carter. What is he? 22? 23? Saying he'll average only 10-12 for the next 2-4 years is ludicrous if you ask me. He may have only averaged 11.3 this year, but he only started 17 games. Put him in a starting role and he'll be a solid contributor averaging anywhere between 15 and 20 ppg. He averaged 18.5 his rookie year and 17.5 his sophomore season in which he started all 164 games is those two seasons. He'll be the immediate starter in Chicago and with a PG like Rose, I think he'd flourish and will produce for at least the next 6-7 years.
LClion4life Wrote:Man, me and you have been disagreeing a lot lately! OJ is definitely the better option between him and Carter. What is he? 22? 23? Saying he'll average only 10-12 for the next 2-4 years is ludicrous if you ask me. He may have only averaged 11.3 this year, but he only started 17 games. Put him in a starting role and he'll be a solid contributor averaging anywhere between 15 and 20 ppg. He averaged 18.5 his rookie year and 17.5 his sophomore season in which he started all 164 games is those two seasons. He'll be the immediate starter in Chicago and with a PG like Rose, I think he'd flourish and will produce for at least the next 6-7 years.

Dude, just give your opinion thats cool man... I don't hate on everything you say... and if I do thats cool...

I don't think Mayo is going to be a OK player... I could be wrong he could be better but Thats my opinion..

Mayo just seems like a high-risk too me....
Mayo brings a lot of baggage. He is still too talented of a scorer not to take a short-term contract risk on.
ekff Wrote:Dude, just give your opinion thats cool man... I don't hate on everything you say... and if I do thats cool...

I don't think Mayo is going to be a OK player... I could be wrong he could be better but Thats my opinion..

Mayo just seems like a high-risk too me....

Wasn't hating. Just stating. And when I said we've been disagreeing alot lately I was just saying that it provides for good conversation.
Carter is done. Couldn't hack it in Orlando and now Phoneix. His contract and ego won't let him be a role player off the beanch. He would have to get a lot of mins. Problem is, he isn't that type of player anymore.
^ carters ego?
I have heard many times on the NBA shows on how former teammates of Carter's say his work ethic was not to be desired and how he was a "star'. To me it sounds like he has a an ego problem since all he has ever won is a slam dunk trophey. I could be wrong though.
I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bulls Uni!
The Bulls need a good second option but Carter isn't it. Why take on that contract, on a an aging player when you can go after someone younger who can be the Robin to their Batman (Rose).
Personally, I think the Bulls should trade up to around pick #14 or #15 and draft Marshon Brooks from Providence....