Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cavs still debating No. 1 pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Eight days before the NBA draft, Cleveland Cavaliers coach Byron Scott told Yahoo! Sports the franchise isn’t close to deciding whether to use the No. 1 pick on Duke guard Kyrie Irving or Arizona forward Derrick Williams.

The Cavaliers have the first and fourth picks in the June 23 draft in Newark, N.J. Who they decide to take with the top pick could be determined by whether they decide to pursue another guard like Kentucky’s Brandon Knight or Connecticut’s Kemba Walker at No. 4 – or whether they receive an enticing trade offer, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. The Cavs also have workouts scheduled for early next week that will factor in their decision.

“The main reason is we want to do our due diligence on the other guys as well,” Scott said on why a decision hasn’t been made. “We have a few more workouts we want to get in before we really want to start evaluating on who we think is the best possible pick at No. 1 and who we think is the best at No. 4. So, by no means, has anyone in our organization who has been to our workouts said, ‘Derrick Williams is our first pick’ or ‘Kyrie Irving is our first pick.’

“We’re all keeping an open mind and understand we have a few more workouts to go through. Both of those guys are very, very good basketball players in our minds. Both are going to have a long career, but no way are we set on a guy.”

Scott said one of his friends called recently to suggest the Cavaliers draft Williams first and Knight fourth. Such a move would be risky because Knight is getting consideration from the Utah Jazz with the third pick. Sources said Cleveland has already worked out Turkish center Enes Kanter and Texas forward Tristan Thompson, and has heavily scouted Czech Republic forward Jan Vesley and Lithuanian center Jonas Valanciunas. They also have a workout scheduled with Knight.

“When you have to go through the process of re-loading with what we’re doing as a basketball team, it’s always great when you can start with two of the top five players in the draft,” Scott said. “They’re going to be young. Hopefully, they’re going to be hungry. We feel that there are 10, 12, 15 guys in this draft that are going to be very productive in this league if not next year, two years down the line or something.
Cmon Cavs, do the right thing and take Enes or Williams.
Williams is who you need.
Williams and Knight!
Enes!!!!
Kyrie is probably the safer pick but if they have the #4 they need to take Enes or Williams, then get either Kemba or Knight at #4.
^IMO Irvings game won't translate well in the NBA.
Most mock drafts have Williams going at 2.
Here we go again with the guard talk..
They have PLENTY of guards..
Why waste a pick on a freakin' guard?

Look at Mo Williams..
He is able to drop #'s on people, sniper from 3..
Get the big guys.. Enes and Williams - turn your team around.
Williams got traded to the Clippers for Baron Davis last year.
I thought Baron Davis was still at the Clippers?
Nope, I believe the trade happened right before the deadline last year.
Aslan Wrote:Nope, I believe the trade happened right before the deadline last year.

welp, not a shocker - I haven't kept up with Cav country since Lebron left it wide open! TongueirateSho
The guy is always hurt. Don't waste it.
Ballers Wrote:Here we go again with the guard talk..
They have PLENTY of guards..
Why waste a pick on a freakin' guard?

Look at Mo Williams..
He is able to drop #'s on people, sniper from 3..
Get the big guys.. Enes and Williams - turn your team around.

:Thumbs:
This draft is terrible, no SUPERSTARS in the mix. Possibly Williams and Irving. If I'm the Cav's, I trade these first round picks for multiple picks next year. Next years draft will be very solid and DEEP!
^Good point. After LeBron leaving and Cleveland having an awful season, they need players asap though.
Cavs will take Irving at one. I dont think it is the best choice but I have no doubt they'll be selecting him with the #1 pick. I'd go with Williams and than Knight. I read a lot that Knight might be the 3rd pick to Utah though.
^Yeah, I agree with that. IMO Irving is the 3rd best player in this draft behind Enes and Williams.
Sometime this week Skip Bayless said on 1&10 that coming out of college Irving is just about as quick as Wall and Rose, and that he is also a better passer right now than those two. I love listening to Skip, but that's ridiculous and completely inaccurate.
[quote=Stardust]This draft is terrible, no SUPERSTARS in the mix. Possibly Williams and Irving. If I'm the Cav's, I trade these first round picks for multiple picks next year. Next years draft will be very solid and DEEP![/QUOTE]

Agreed. Certainly would be nice for the Cavs if this was one of the real loaded classes like the 03 or 96 class.