Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Green Thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the 'green thing' back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
:thatsfunn

I had the green thing once but I got better
When feeling nostalgic it's nice to recall things that everyone did right back in the day. However, you can't deny that we -- unwittingly -- did a lot to harm the environment.
BillyB Wrote:When feeling nostalgic it's nice to recall things that everyone did right back in the day. However, you can't deny that we -- unwittingly -- did a lot to harm the environment.
"We" are wittingly doing a lot to harm the environment today. Take ethanol, please... Arguably worse for the environment than gasoline and it takes more energy to make the stuff than it produces. Ethanol production competes with human consumers for corn and has pushed corn prices through the roof. We are literally burning food and people are going hungry as a result. But farmers donate big bucks to politicians in both parties, so the environment and impact that ethanol has on the poor people of Mexico take the backseat.

Another example is the compact fluorescent light bulb. They use less electricity for the same number of lumens but drop break one and you will need a HAZMAT team to safely get rid of the mercury.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:"We" are wittingly doing a lot to harm the environment today. Take ethanol, please... Arguably worse for the environment than gasoline and it takes more energy to make the stuff than it produces. Ethanol production competes with human consumers for corn and has pushed corn prices through the roof. We are literally burning food and people are going hungry as a result. But farmers donate big bucks to politicians in both parties, so the environment and impact that ethanol has on the poor people of Mexico take the backseat.

Another example is the compact fluorescent light bulb. They use less electricity for the same number of lumens but drop break one and you will need a HAZMAT team to safely get rid of the mercury.

Actually, I think corn may have hit an all time high just this week. It pushing about $8.00 a bushel right now.
Stardust Wrote:In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the 'green thing' back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?

:Thumbs:
This whole green thing makes me sick.
Its just a ploy, and as several people have said there is no scientific eveidence of global warming.
I actually had a professor in college who was a biologist professionally. He said to us on more thn one occasion that these people are crazy money hungry jokes. He said the world is heading for change, but not a heating one. He went on to say this has all the makings of another ice age. I believed him when he provided us with the facts and showed what happened in the last ice age and its frigtenly similar to whats goin on today.

As far as the green thing goes, im the typical, rifle loving, diesel fuel burning, tree hugging hating american that many are. I just think its time that if waste is killing us so much, then why isnt anything else changing?
Bolt Wrote:This whole green thing makes me sick.
Its just a ploy, and as several people have said there is no scientific eveidence of global warming.
I actually had a professor in college who was a biologist professionally. He said to us on more thn one occasion that these people are crazy money hungry jokes. He said the world is heading for change, but not a heating one. He went on to say this has all the makings of another ice age. I believed him when he provided us with the facts and showed what happened in the last ice age and its frigtenly similar to whats goin on today.

As far as the green thing goes, im the typical, rifle loving, diesel fuel burning, tree hugging hating american that many are. I just think its time that if waste is killing us so much, then why isnt anything else changing?

The weather on this planet cycles. Some years have hot summers, some have cold winters, some have both, some have neither. Anybody can stand around and say the weather indicates the ice caps are melting or, they can say they're not. I like to compare global warming to the theory of evolution.

The guy that dreamed up evolution in the first place, Charles Darwin, published a book about it entitled " The Origin of the Species". He later regretted his surmises and renounced this book as totally inaccurate. Charles Darwin made the following statement, "to assume the human eye is the product of evolution is an absurdity of the highest degree". Most folks haven't seen that one. He even admitted that he and some of his associates came up with his theory so that they wouldn't have to feel bothered by guilt for what he termed their "sexual forrays".

The observations Darwin made while on the Galapagos Islands led him to put together his theory however, observing marine iguanas diving underwater to eat algae growing on the rocks during high tide was the spark that lit the kindling in his mind that animals may mutate into other forms. Here was a land animal with marine feeding habits. It was one of those things that made him go ---hmmmm. Not to be detered, scientists liked the idea that we just sort of happened so much they just couldn't abandon the theory, why? Like Darwin, it gave them some measure of comfort to think they might not have to face the omnipotent Creator after all.

Despite the claims of the scientific community there are ZERO transitory life forms in the fossil record. Without transitory life forms there is no proof. Without proof all we have is much embelished and glorified speculation, which, at best, is a system of belief. Hence, we have the term evolutionism, ( ism- an unsupported belief in an idea), and (ists- are those that believe in something that is not founded in proven science) or,evolutionists.

The same thing is true with the global warming thing. It is not based on proven science. Matter of fact, the contrary has been proven when it was discovered recently that the data is false and/or doctored to 'appear' to support this notion of global warming. And every last bit of the fear and trembling (and especially movies) that is attributable to the dread of global warming is based on contrived information.

We are nation of genius when compared to any people anytime throughout history. Yet we willingly allow ourselves to be held hostage by a whimsical pipe dream of guesswork (the green adgenda). There is no energy shortage, we have hundreds of years worth of fossil fuels left. Like idiots we don't drill and mine it though, why? Well we're scared of pollution, something we have already learned to control. The fossil fuel industry alone, would employ countless millions if we could just bring ourselves to use it. Our cars and trucks and all our machines, are trully wonders in our time. They are efficient, and they are beautiful. The ONLY possible reason to go away from the things that have made us the leaders of the industrialized world is if somehow as a people and a nation, we lose our ability to see reality.

We are starring into a blackhole which is our future. And the reason we are is we have lost our way. Everything was fine until we began to question everything. We don't know what is right anymore because every topic becomes debatable due to the fact that there seemingly are no absolutes anymore except that there are no absolutes. When we took God's truth out our thought processes in law and government, we entered into darkness and confusion. Simply put, once there was a clear demarcation between what is right and what is wrong, a distinct line was defineable between the two. Now that line is a vast gray area of writhing and argument. We took God out and what rushed in to fill the void? Confusion and loss of our national direction and pride.

Not using the abundant resouces God has given us is an indictment to the fact that we are blinded to the truth that is all around us. We're number 1, but, are we smart enough to realize that fact? It's literally like living in a nightmare, all of a sudden I'm a resident of Bizzarro World and the only thing I have to fight back with is my one measly vote.

This is why in another thread I have contended that politicians that don't tell the truth can and will bring down this nation. Without truth one has to deal with things like the green thing which, of and by itself has taken us to the brink of financial ruin. When coupled with entitilements ad nauseum and at least 3 trillion in loses because of the attacks of 9/11 it has become the perfect storm. It's high time to make for the calmer waters of sanity which are clearly marked by the bouys of our nations history.
becareful with the Darwin quote.
The quote in context is
[INDENT]To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real.

—Charles Darwin, Origin of Species

He's not denouncing his book
[/INDENT]
nky Wrote:becareful with the Darwin quote.
The quote in context is
[INDENT]To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real.

Charles Darwin, Origin of Species

He's not denouncing his book
[/INDENT]

True, he is not denouncing his book by any loose association or otherwise with this particular quote. The reference I was making there was a statement he made prior to his death which was not written but something he said among other things in the presence of witnesses. I took a little liberty by condensing the meaning of his quote to a more aggregate form, and I tried not to stray from his intended meaning by adding anything. He was pointing out that the concept of natural selection could not explain the complexity of just one 'part' of the human body, much less the whole thing. Plus, I really didn't want to spend that much time delving into the details of the theory to that degree as that could have tended to dilute my point. That's why I said statement instead of quote, should have made my reference more clear. You do good work!
"The Green thing" is bullshit anyway. The earth's weather cycles, just like it always has. People that buy into this crap are pretty dull..
vundy33 Wrote:"The Green thing" is bullshit anyway. The earth's weather cycles, just like it always has. People that buy into this crap are pretty dull..

Keeping that thought in mind consider our present dilemma. Currently we Americans have allowed the federal government to completely throttle our natiion's industry by placing and enforcing layer upon layer of regulations meant to 'protect' the environment. There is so much distortion floating around in the form of junk science and media distributed propaganda which supports the global warming circus, many people have accepted it as fact.

Because this propaganda has worked so well, we don't drill for oil in the gulf or in Alaska. (Alaska alone has oil reserves enough to offset America's oil short fall for the forseeable future. In fact there is so much of the stuff up there generations of folks could reasonably expect to be able to work their entire lifetimes in succession). We are very concerned about whether or not the migrating Caribou could somehow be affected by the drilling activities up north though. So concerned in fact, that we are willing to risk our nation's entire future just to protect them from the REMOTE possiblility something might upset their day. Any rational man could agree there are preventive measures available to offset any discomfort that may threaten the Caribou in Alaska. Likewise, we willingly have cut off irrigation water to California's Central Valley because of concerns that the delta smelt may be in decline. People don't need food or fuel that much really. The rediculous green blather supports the devastation of our economy and keeps being recognized as fact. I guess because we are just, 'G2' stupid to see reality. But, it's happening.

Students K through 12 and college level are already indoctrinated. Therefore, it will take a major effort by sober minded and level headed adults to vote these knuckleheads out of office. The longer this unrealistic mother earth religion continues to be in control, the more unlikely we will have voters in enough numbers to unseat liberal legislators. Attrition will deliver this land into their hands at some point because we have allowed these goofs to indoctinate the youth of our land in school and those of us that know the truth will only live so long. In the meantime, we give up trillions each year in the oil industry and all the spin-off industry that uses oil to create their products, while we loose hundreds of billions to high gasoline prices. In turn every thing that uses gasoline, boats, rv's, the auto industry, all the recreational industries, tourism, the list could go on and on, is affected in a negative sense, and of course all the jobs associated with the list.