Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Steve Spurrier would pay his players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dialogue-starter for paying athletes - Spurrier suggests FB coaches pay 70 guys $300 each per game.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/F...TE=DEFAULT
but would it be enough?

i agree that student athletes, barely eke by with what they are given with their scholarships, but in the end you give them "pay" and there will still be athletes out there taking money by unapproved methods. Pryor cant buy a 350z with only and extra $300 dollars a game. even if he could then he would want a BMW, need $500 a game and get the rest the same way he is doing it now. you will never get rid of the paying of student athletes because there will always be a market.
johnnyt Wrote:but would it be enough?

i agree that student athletes, barely eke by with what they are given with their scholarships, but in the end you give them "pay" and there will still be athletes out there taking money by unapproved methods. Pryor cant buy a 350z with only and extra $300 dollars a game. even if he could then he would want a BMW, need $500 a game and get the rest the same way he is doing it now. you will never get rid of the paying of student athletes because there will always be a market.

:Thumbs:
Excellent point and I think it sums up the entire problem. If you start paying athletes you open up a situation where there will never be a way to make it fair or equal. It is not about kids not having enough money to buy clothes and groceries it is about kids wanting pro money while they are still in college.
We have a couple of friends that play at Carolina and I'm afraid to givee the kids a cookie the way the rules are now.
Personally, I think the NCAA needs to stop policing every friggin thing that goes on around the country. 90% of the NCAA's rules are absolutely just flat out DUMB, make zero sense and are a big reason the student athlete concentrates on just athletics so he can turn professional when they know they arent ready, just to take a chance on getting drafted and escape the constant bullshit and micro-managing from the NCAA gestapo.