Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tressel has resigned
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/...hio-state/

Looks like Coach Tressel can't overcome all the issues after all:igiveup:
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/spo...ml?sid=101
Here's the story from the Columbus Dispatch
Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel has resigned, university sources told The Dispatch today.
Less than three months after President E. Gordon Gee and Athletic Director Gene Smith said they fully supported their embattled coach, mounting pressure, a pending NCAA disciplinary hearing and new revelations about the culture of the program forced the university to act on their once-revered coach, sources said.
Neither Gee, Smith nor Tressel could be reached immediately for comment.
Sources said assistant coach Luke Fickell, who had been named to coach the first five games of the season while Tressel served his suspension for withholding information from the university compliance office and the NCAA, will serve as interim coach of the Buckeyes all of next season.

Coach Luke Fickell was already going to coach the first five games. Guess he'll do the whole season as an interim

Does Urban Myers name now get tossed around next year for the job? He is an Ohio boy, wifes from Ohio, family lives in Ohio. Gives him a year away from the game then steps right in.
You have to think there's more issues that are about to hit the fan in Columbus for him to resign that the public hasn't heard yet.

Meyer doesn't take losing well, I can't imagine he'd go to OSU when they're about to get slapped around by the NCAA. He doesn't seem the type that would want to coach a program under heavy sanctions.

I think we'll be hearing a lot more allegations come out in the upcoming weeks from the NCAA in Columbus.

:popcorn:
We all knew this would happen sooner or later.
Its a beautiful day lol
Blue_Blinker Wrote:You have to think there's more issues that are about to hit the fan in Columbus for him to resign that the public hasn't heard yet.

Meyer doesn't take losing well, I can't imagine he'd go to OSU when they're about to get slapped around by the NCAA. He doesn't seem the type that would want to coach a program under heavy sanctions.

I think we'll be hearing a lot more allegations come out in the upcoming weeks from the NCAA in Columbus.

Meyer has the kind of outsized ego that would actually make him consider taking the job, while OSU has the kind of pocketbook to pay him. Think about it, Ohio kid returning home to lead the Buckeyes back to the promised land.... stuff of legends. The only thing is is health, were the problems truly serious enough to have forced him to retire? If they were, the stress will be twofold at OSU, and he may not take it. Otherwise, it will definitely be interesting. Thing I'm looking at, is it may very well allow UK to break into the Cincinnati area in recruiting like they've been wanting to. The other beneficiary I see from this is the obvious (Michigan), and the not-so-obvious (look for Wisconsin and Illinois to jump into Cincy hard).
CardinalAlum Wrote:Its a beautiful day lol

:Thumbs:
Blue_Blinker Wrote:You have to think there's more issues that are about to hit the fan in Columbus for him to resign that the public hasn't heard yet.

but if the NCAA puts down some type of sanction wouldn't be even better for Coach Meyer? Takes the pressure off for a few years
nky Wrote:but if the NCAA puts down some type of sanction wouldn't be even better for Coach Meyer? Takes the pressure off for a few years
Likely won't be any sanctions for 2 years roughly. I see them potentially getting hit with "lack of institutional control", which could lead to larger penalties. I think USC and OSU are down for the count for 2-3 years minimum in terms of being elite level competitive after this coming year due to the penalties. USC was walking on thin ice as it was, being very good, but not necessarily elite-level competitive anymore. OSU was consistently more of a threat over the past 3 years than USC. Looks like the SEC can count on staying on top for a few more years.
CardinalAlum Wrote:Its a beautiful day lol

Indeed it is!
Just saw on the crawl on ESPN that Meyer has said he will not pursue any coaching job this season, and will remain an analyst.

Maybe this is just his way of waiting to see what hammer falls on the NCAA. They (NCAA) are so mad at OSU that Cleveland State may end up getting the death penalty.
Maybe Kentucky should fire Joker and pick up Tressel. I wouldn't mind seeing a blue sweater vest.
HawksRule Wrote:Maybe Kentucky should fire Joker and pick up Tressel. I wouldn't mind seeing a blue sweater vest.
It would be an upgrade
Get out while you still can!!

Imagine Urban Meyer taking over the job. Which I highly doubt, but one can speculate.
nky Wrote:http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/...hio-state/

Looks like Coach Tressel can't overcome all the issues after all:igiveup:

to many of them..if you tell the truth,you can tell it the same way every time,if not you lie to cover up another lie..
HawksRule Wrote:Maybe Kentucky should fire Joker and pick up Tressel. I wouldn't mind seeing a blue sweater vest.

why not they say Cal cheats,and now we know Tressell cheats, he wouldnt loook good in blue..

We would have the richest players in the country!!!!
But after he officially got busted I'd say his recruiting ability would go down.
zaga_fan Wrote:We would have the richest players in the country!!!!
But after he officially got busted I'd say his recruiting ability would go down.

That's the truth, lol
nky Wrote:It would be an upgrade
Yeah right. An upgrade...Keep dreaming. Joker doesn't have a national championship under his belt, but he is plenty qualified and is working to get the program to the next level. Have you even looked at the players they've been offering lately? Players we never even got to the doorstep of in the past are now considering us. Towles is considered by some to be equal to if not better than, Pike, and he is a committed Cat. I'd rather have Joker than have a "joke" like Tressel. He's always been one step ahead of the NCAA since his Youngstown State days. Similar issues there too, just never got slapped like he is about to now.
PHSForever Wrote:Yeah right. An upgrade...Keep dreaming. Joker doesn't have a national championship under his belt, but he is plenty qualified and is working to get the program to the next level. Have you even looked at the players they've been offering lately? Players we never even got to the doorstep of in the past are now considering us. Towles is considered by some to be equal to if not better than, Pike, and he is a committed Cat. I'd rather have Joker than have a "joke" like Tressel. He's always been one step ahead of the NCAA since his Youngstown State days. Similar issues there too, just never got slapped like he is about to now.

I'm glad you have faith in Joker....
however....
to even begin to say that Jim Tressel would be a downgrade is absolutely ludicrous.
Tired of hearing about it.. ESPN has been blowing this up all the time.. 24/7..
PHSForever Wrote:Yeah right. An upgrade...Keep dreaming. Joker doesn't have a national championship under his belt, but he is plenty qualified and is working to get the program to the next level. Have you even looked at the players they've been offering lately? Players we never even got to the doorstep of in the past are now considering us. Towles is considered by some to be equal to if not better than, Pike, and he is a committed Cat. I'd rather have Joker than have a "joke" like Tressel. He's always been one step ahead of the NCAA since his Youngstown State days. Similar issues there too, just never got slapped like he is about to now.

Joker has potential but what has he done?
kind of like that guy in the basketball office:eyeroll:
I would bet a 100 dollars to the hole in a doughnut that we wouldn't pick Tressel up.
I can dream of having an historic taboo coaching staff.

Head Coach- Jim Tressel
Off Cord- Mike Leach
Def Cord- Pete Carrol
zaga_fan Wrote:I'm glad you have faith in Joker....
however....
to even begin to say that Jim Tressel would be a downgrade is absolutely ludicrous.
I never said anywhere he would be a downgrade coaching-wise, but definitely would ethics-wise.
nky Wrote:Joker has potential but what has he done?
kind of like that guy in the basketball office:eyeroll:
How long has he actually been a head coach? Starting year two now. Tressel wasn't a genius in 2 years.
PHSForever Wrote:How long has he actually been a head coach? Starting year two now. Tressel wasn't a genius in 2 years.
In his second season, Youngstown State finished the season with an 8–4 record and won the Ohio Valley Conference championship
Second year at THE Ohio State 14-0 and won a National Championship
2002Ohio State14–08–0T–1stW Fiesta (BCS NCG) †
2002Ohio State14–08–0T–1stW Fiesta (BCS NCG) †
:lmao:
PHSForever Wrote:I never said anywhere he would be a downgrade coaching-wise, but definitely would ethics-wise.

To quote you...

Quote:Yeah right. An upgrade...Keep dreaming.

You said it wouldn't be an upgrade.
That means downgrade.