Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Monroe 54 Paintsville 44
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
final.
Monroe plays St.Mary who defeated Rose Hill 60-53.
Well the Lady Tigers took one on the chin today, but didn't give up. They lost to a team that has only lost 2 games all season by a combined score of 10 points. Don't hang your head girls, exceeded many peoples expectations. The only real question I got is why didn't the kick it down low to Jarrell more. Seemed to me that in the 4th when they started feeding her down low that they began to cut into Monroe's lead more effectively. But hats off you all, you've earned a lot of respect back here.
Congrats Paintsville, You made the 15th proud.....Enjoy the rest of the tourney and come home and get ready for the big one.........
Great Job Lady Tigers! You represented well!

BallaBaby

THe Lady Tigers made the 15th Region Proud, congrats girls you played great in the tourney!!!!
I'm wore out, so I can imagine how our girls are.
It looked like our girls were a little nervous at the start of the game. We turned it over the first 4 possessions. That's right, our first 4 possessions. Monroe scored 7 points off of those turnovers. They outscored us 47-44 the rest of the way.

I AM SO PROUD OF THIS TEAM.

This team is finding ways to win. We'll find out this week if this tournament made them turn the corner. We play at home against East Ridge on Monday and the at Sheldon Clark on Friday.

The next week is a killer with Pike Central (home) on Monday, at Magoffin on Wednesday, and at Johnson Central on Friday. Hell, I wouldn't wish a schedule like that on my worst enemy.
BTW, Monroe is the best team that we've played and probably will play. We also faced the best point guard we'll face all year. We needed to play a team like that. I just wish we would have played 6-7 more teams like that.
Man oh man, just got home and I'm like sportwhiz, I am KILLED.

Keep your heads up girls, you played great in Richmond against better teams than in your region (with the exception of Magoffin County and Belfry). I only disagree about one thing, I think Magoffin, maybe Belfry too would beat Monroe. They really didn't impress me all that much except for the PG. There is NO WAY that Monroe is a top 10 team in the state, I just find that hard to believe with how they played and how Paintsville played. Seemed like they shot over 60% (IDK what they shot, but it had to be good) and seemed like Paintsville shot 20%.

Hopefully the girls will come out every game with that look in their eyes and heart they showed in this tourney from here on out, that would great if they do.
Monroe's point guard, #5, I think her name is Rich. Anyhoo, she is by far the best point I have seen this year! Unbelievable ball handler and controls the floor like a true General! No doubt, she could average 25+ agame if she wanted. She knows that, that is not what is best for her team, and she does exactly what they need from her!
Monroe's half court traps are monterous as well!!! Good luck the rest of the way.
Paintsville, you showed that even after the rocky start, that most teams would have folded, Not you gals!! You wouldn't lie down and actually, your D was pretty darn good concidering you gave up only 47 points after the terrible first 1 minute 8 seconds!!
Build on what you have learned this week, and you WILL turn some heads here!
BTW Chelsee Jarrell, keep your head up! I talked to Monroe's coach at O'Charlies and he told me that if he had a post player like you, he feels he could win the "Big" State!!!

He was also greatly impressed with Kendra Carroll, as his plan was to work her to death having to handle the rock as much as she did with relentless pressure!! He felt that if he could tire her down, which he did, their chances would improve greatly, which they did!!!
Great job Lady Tigers!! You have made the 57th and the 15th very proud!:Thumbs:
Congrats Paintsville! Everybody is proud of you girls!
congrats
Monroes PG is Kenzi Rich i believe.
"PC_U_KNOW_98" Wrote:Man oh man, just got home and I'm like sportwhiz, I am KILLED.

Keep your heads up girls, you played great in Richmond against better teams than in your region (with the exception of Magoffin County and Belfry). I only disagree about one thing, I think Magoffin, maybe Belfry too would beat Monroe. They really didn't impress me all that much except for the PG. There is NO WAY that Monroe is a top 10 team in the state, I just find that hard to believe with how they played and how Paintsville played. Seemed like they shot over 60% (IDK what they shot, but it had to be good) and seemed like Paintsville shot 20%.

Hopefully the girls will come out every game with that look in their eyes and heart they showed in this tourney from here on out, that would great if they do.
PC, I'll have to disagree with you, which I normally don't do. Monroe is a very tough team. You have to be very, very good to only lose to the #3 team in the state by 3 points and the #5 team by 5 points. Of course I'm talking about Clay Co and Sacred Heart.

They beat Barren Co by 5 and 15 points. Barren has beaten Montgomery Co, who beat Magoffin, North Hardin, Rockcastle, and Madison Southern. All of those teams are very good. Monroe also beat a good Newport Catholic by 11. Newport beat Magoffin by 8.

Maybe Paintsville had a little to do with Monroe not looking too good to you. Maybe our girls are better than we give them credit for.

The scary thing is if we don't spot them 7 points, that game would have gone down to the wire and you know, anything could have happened then.

We both know our girls have not put it all together yet. This tournament will help a lot. Our girls haven't peaked, which is good. They have 3 weeks to put it all together. Hopefully they will peak at the right time.

Maybe it was good that the Lady Tigers are just now getting to full strength. The rest of the region hasn't seen the real team yet.

The real question is will our girls be down for losing yesterday or will they come out tomorrow night and be fired up?
"sportwhiz" Wrote:PC, I'll have to disagree with you, which I normally don't do. Monroe is a very tough team. You have to be very, very good to only lose to the #3 team in the state by 3 points and the #5 team by 5 points. Of course I'm talking about Clay Co and Sacred Heart.

They beat Barren Co by 5 and 15 points. Barren has beaten Montgomery Co, who beat Magoffin, North Hardin, Rockcastle, and Madison Southern. All of those teams are very good. Monroe also beat a good Newport Catholic by 11. Newport beat Magoffin by 8.

Maybe Paintsville had a little to do with Monroe not looking too good to you. Maybe our girls are better than we give them credit for.

The scary thing is if we don't spot them 7 points, that game would have gone down to the wire and you know, anything could have happened then.

We both know our girls have not put it all together yet. This tournament will help a lot. Our girls haven't peaked, which is good. They have 3 weeks to put it all together. Hopefully they will peak at the right time.

Maybe it was good that the Lady Tigers are just now getting to full strength. The rest of the region hasn't seen the real team yet.

The real question is will our girls be down for losing yesterday or will they come out tomorrow night and be fired up?

I thought our "D" was much better yesterday. That, and considering that not a whole lot of fouls were being called.
Congrats
"The Guru" Wrote:I thought our "D" was much better yesterday. That, and considering that not a whole lot of fouls were being called.
Yeah, no kidding. After playing against 2 very quick teams, the 15 region teams will look like they're in slow motion. I really wanted us to go into a zone yesterday, but maybe it was better for us in the long run.

The officiating, OMG, besides the first game, our 15th region officials are better. Yesterday, Monroe hacked Russell and Kendra to death in the open court. I don't know how many times our girls were pushed out of bounds. The charge called on Chelsee was a joke. Kendra got hammered by 3 Monroe players when she took in the lane in the 4th quarter. Those are the big ones that stand out. I know I'm forgeting others.
I was on the opposit side from you and can tell you that Kendra came off a screen and a girl reached out and clothes-lined her....no call but at least she was able to continue and got the ball and hit the shot!
For all to know,...we are not saying that the refs cost us the game, they didn't....just that they were horrible but both ways!! Actually, I really didn't think Paintsville started getting many calls their way til the last 3,4 minutes! But it was terrible!
I thought we should have went to a 2-3 before the 1st quarter was over, should have at least tried it out. They were setting screen all over the floor getting open looks and drives to the basket all night long. We should have tried a zone D just to see how they would have approached it. When they got girls in there that Jarrell has to gaurd that are faster and can shoot the 3 ball, you can't run a man to man defense. That's just my opinion, Baldwin should have tested the 2-3 out just to see how it would work.
They came,They roared!!!

Good job Lady Tigers,and coaches!!
I do agree with you, very much. They roared loudly! Yeah, there were extremely bad calls (or "non-calls", you might say) on both sides. Sometimes it looked like the refs just wanted to see a cat fight start. But the officials didn't make or break the game for anyone.

Maybe Paintsville should have tried the zone. I kept screaming for Baldwin to switch, but, after seeing Monroe Co. play St. Mary's today, it probably would have been the same result. St. Mary's threw every defense they had at Monroe and they just kept pounding back. Rich is a super PG, for sure.

Maybe if the Tigers hadn't started the game down 7-0, things would have been different. But you can't live for the "maybes". Lady Tigers, go do what you are capable of doing for the rest of the season. Your number 1 fan (always has been, always will be) is proud of how you are representing our school district.
If mom would have listened to me 5 years ago Paintsville would win the All "A" next year. Chelsee just turned 17 at the beginning of her Senior year which IMO is much too young to graduate. She will turn 18 during her Freshman year of college. But yes, this team will be tough again next year, Lauren Welch is a good post player, if she grows a couple inches before next year then you may see the Lady Tigers in that position again next year without Chelsee.

Great job girls, now come back and show East Ridge tomorrow what you are realy made of, and continue that the rest of the season, you can do it.
Congrats to the Lady Tigers and their Coaching staff. They played an excellent tournament and represented the 15th well. Good luck the remainder of the year.
The guard play at this tournament was so much better than we see in Eastern Kentucky. Everyone talks about Magoffin's guards, which they should because Manns and AJ Howard are good. Most of the teams in this tournament have at least 2 guards the caliber of Manns and AJ. It was good for our girls to face such quality guards. They faced different types of presses and traps.

There is no way our girls should ever get intimidated by any type of press or trap. Monroe's traps were very good. I'm sure traps by Scott Co and Lex Cath would be better, but it was great for our girls to face these traps and presses.
Great run girls. Keep your heads up, we're all very proud of you.