Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 pre-season in 5A
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who do you think will be the pre-season top 10 in 5A
A mountain team is the legitimate favorite...Harlan County.
:popcorn: :popcorn:
I know this is a mostly mountain site, but come on. The legitimate favorite is Bowling Green. Or are we playing this game that just because they played Highlands closer than Christian County that means Harlan County is better than that side of the state?

The Purples return 16 of 22 starters, all of which but one are seniors. That includes 9 senior returning starters from a defense that gave up about 9 points a game. They have 28 seniors returning.
DragonFire Wrote:I know this is a mostly mountain site, but come on. The legitimate favorite is Bowling Green. Or are we playing this game that just because they played Highlands closer than Christian County that means Harlan County is better than that side of the state?

The Purples return 16 of 22 starters, all of which but one are seniors. That includes 9 senior returning starters from a defense that gave up about 9 points a game. They have 28 seniors returning.

I think Dungy meant to say that Harlan County is the legitamate favorite in 5A Region 4.
I'd call it a toss up.......at this point anyhow. When you say BG returns 16 of 22 starters, does that mean they started 22 different kids on offense and defense?
Make no mistake, I am not saying HC is the favorite. However, they also return 8 on offense and 8 on defense plus two kids who would have been starters who had torn ACLs early on.
With torn ACL's, you can't count on them being the same type of athlete that they once were.
Regardless, they have 8 back either way. The two kids with the ACL tears will be fine.
LClion4life Wrote:With torn ACL's, you can't count on them being the same type of athlete that they once were.

With the right surgery and rehab, the knee repaired is better than the other one. Maybe you need to think again about what you said.
Lots of teams could prove me wrong. It is just one person's pre-season opinion, but I meant what I said. Absent a juggernaut like Highlands in an otherwise even field, I'll take my chances with Tom Larkey.

District and Regional opponents didn't want to believe they were the favorite last year either.
DragonFire Wrote:I know this is a mostly mountain site, but come on. The legitimate favorite is Bowling Green. Or are we playing this game that just because they played Highlands closer than Christian County that means Harlan County is better than that side of the state?

Are you suggesting that Harlan County isn't a legitmate contender for the 5A title because they ARE a "mountain team"? Of course Bowling Green is a top 10 favorite to begin the season, but keep your eye on the Black Bears on the other end of the state. A lot of practice and games to be played before November. Never know what may happen.
Teams in the mix-Bowling Green, John Hardin, Warren Central, Harlan County, Anderson County, Christian County, Jeffersontown.
Dungy Wrote:Absent a juggernaut like Highlands in an otherwise even field, I'll take my chances with Tom Larkey.

Very well said!

A Bowling Green team will be tough to beat, but they can do it!
HAT51 Wrote:With the right surgery and rehab, the knee repaired is better than the other one. Maybe you need to think again about what you said.

That's affirmitive Ghost Rider :Thumbs:
5A east half is much much easier than the western half with realignment. Harlan Co. could easily make finals 4 years in a row from the east.

Bowling Green, John Hardin, Warren Central, Harlan County, Anderson County, Christian County, Jeffersontown are all legit teams...but the west will be a dog fight.
Harlan Co. def. has to be up there, I just hope Perry can make a push to get in there this season.
^ Yeah Baby! :Thumbs:
HAT51 Wrote:With the right surgery and rehab, the knee repaired is better than the other one. Maybe you need to think again about what you said.

I hope the kid has a quick recovery, but that is a load of crap about the surgically repaired knee being better than the uninjured knee! Yes with a good surgeon and rehab, he can return to compete at a very high level. But, it will never be as good or better than the original, god given equipment.
sstack Wrote:I hope the kid has a quick recovery, but that is a load of crap about the surgically repaired knee being better than the uninjured knee! Yes with a good surgeon and rehab, he can return to compete at a very high level. But, it will never be as good or better than the original, god given equipment.

I'm sorry to dispute but you are very wrong....It's not personal...look at case studies.
oh yea and capitalize you G:biggrin:
5A with highlands moving down really gives someone new a chance to win the title. John, BG, and Christian Co. have all been good the past few seasons. I don't know much about Harlan Co. but I'm sure since they consildation they have stockpiled talent.
With HHS out of 5A, this will be an extremely fun division of football
So, any thoughts on Whitaker at Letcher Co. being able to turn it back around and get them back to where Howard had them? I know Mike, and he is a good guy, I was reading on another thread where people were really blasting him and his staff. 5A is a monster division, with even the lower tier teams typically having good size and decent talent due to the pool they can draw from, so it will be interesting to see if LCC and Harlan Co can add to the mountain team mystique at that level. 1A, 2A and 3A have traditionally been good for mountain teams, but we've never had a real 5A school and be consistently successful at that level.
Stardust Wrote:With HHS out of 5A, this will be an extremely fun division of football
Agreed. Now someone else there to really challenge people like Central in Louisville, etc. 4A is going to be loaded this year as well.
sstack Wrote:I hope the kid has a quick recovery, but that is a load of crap about the surgically repaired knee being better than the uninjured knee! Yes with a good surgeon and rehab, he can return to compete at a very high level. But, it will never be as good or better than the original, god given equipment.

Steve Austin will disagree with you. GOD is in caps.
John Hardin and Bowling Green out of the West should be fun to watch. As usual, both will be loaded.