Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New ATV Law?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Whats your thoughts on this they are requiring any one under the age of 18 to wear a helmet and if caught not wearing one you could be fine 20$-50$....Sounds likea good ideal to me....but every one knows your suppose to wear one any ways....
My son is so used to wearing a helmet when he rides his, it isnt a problem for him. I have just started to wear one, even though I am older than what the law says I have to be, I think I will continue to wear one on the 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. I very rarely wear one on my street bike though.
Sounds good to me...
Not sure about this one. Since ATV's aren't allowed on road this means that it will be enforced off road. I think they should wear them but to require it on private property not sure about that.
Some places you are alowed a 1/8 mile on the road only to reach your destination.
public property yes...

private property no...
evillive Wrote:public property yes...

private property no...

yep
I think this bill is absolutely necessary. KY leads the nation in ATV deaths. Parents, Grandparents, friends,etc think its ok for little children to ride around even in the yard without a helmet on. It is not ok. It is dangerous.

Here is a link to the entire article on WLEX

http://www.wlextv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4447982
Yes to both public and private property and the fine should be higher or possibly a day in jail for the parents. People need to be a little bit more serious about wearing helmets.
BGG does't this sorta sound like the seatbelt deal.......
I think it sounds great......plus most kids that are riding ATVS are under the age that is requaired to ride that atv
Sounds great to me...
i think kids should be made to wear helmets. some adults would be fine if they stayed away from beer while driving anything.
Blackcat75 Wrote:i think kids should be made to wear helmets. some adults would be fine if they stayed away from beer while driving anything.
Yeah i agree
Great law....should have been on the books a LONG time ago :thumb:
Like I said above I like the law think it should happen with even higher penalties but I just don't like the fact of it being enforced on private property. That part opens up a large can or worms.
CatDawg Wrote:Like I said above I like the law think it should happen with even higher penalties but I just don't like the fact of it being enforced on private property. That part opens up a large can or worms.

Private property is where most fatal accidents occur with children.
I understand what your saying BGG but with more and more laws starting to cross over to private property you do start to lose more and more of your rights.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:Private property is where most fatal accidents occur with children.

i make my kids wear a helmet any time they get on their pocket rocket, scooters, or atvs...

with that said ....

i still have a hard time with this though. especially when children are smoking under age - on public and private property and nothing is done by police officials, adults, and other citizens, everyone in the state of ky has seen that ...

from 1984 -2004 there were 328 atv deaths in the state of ky.... 106 in 2004 ...

in 2004 there were 3 million deaths world wide related to smoking .... 400,000 in the U.S. .... and 2223 directly related to smoking ....

point is there are more severe problems than whether or not I am making my kids wear their helmets....
Very well said and that is kinda stupid enforcing it off the road and if they can give u a ticket off road for that then there gonna enforce is like cars if you ride to fast the will probly give you a ticket and any other thing you can do a ATV......how come its just and atv law they never said any thing about dirtbikes ,scooters
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:Private property is where most fatal accidents occur with children.
But if there on the ATVs that young they should be occupied by an adult and ATVs don't kill Stupidity does.....most are showing off or going up hills that they should't be or there intoxicated.....
Over a twenty year period there were 5239 atv deaths in the US ---33% (1706) were under the age of 16 --- 14% (723) were under 12 ....

thats 85 kids under 16 that die each year in the whole country .... thats 1.7 children per state- per year ... i would put those numbers against smoking any day
I agree evillive.

And the death rates probably won't change just for the fact that the one's that let their children ride and drive an ATV with supervision will continue to do that and the one's that don't still won't make them wear a helmet or even watch them while they ride. It still boils down to supervision just like everything else.

But with this law if I'm in the yard letting my 9 y.o. drive or ride the 4 wheeler even though I'm on it with her or right there and she doesn't have a helmet on for some reason then I'm breaking the law.
CatDawg Wrote:I agree evillive.

And the death rates probably won't change just for the fact that the one's that let their children ride and drive an ATV with supervision will continue to do that and the one's that don't still won't make them wear a helmet or even watch them while they ride. It still boils down to supervision just like everything else.

But with this law if I'm in the yard letting my 9 y.o. drive or ride the 4 wheeler even though I'm on it with her or right there and she doesn't have a helmet on for some reason then I'm breaking the law.

I agree totally ... this law is wrong ...
but why are you going against something that can save your child's life. What if your child wasn't wearing a helmet (because it wasn't the law) and then had an "accident" and died from a brain injury.

I agree that smoking is a bigger cause of death obviously but I dont think many kids under 12 smoke. I also agree that there are more serious problems to deal with it. I dont think it should stop at this.

Either way it is the parent's responsibility to keep their child safe whether it be from smoking, keeping them restrained in a car seat until the proper age, or wearing a helmet with atvs or even bikes or anything else for that matter. There is no excuse when it can be prevented.

It's all about saving lifes and prevention.
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:but why are you going against something that can save your child's life. What if your child wasn't wearing a helmet (because it wasn't the law) and then had an "accident" and died from a brain injury.

I agree that smoking is a bigger cause of death obviously but I dont think many kids under 12 smoke. I also agree that there are more serious problems to deal with it. I dont think it should stop at this.

Either way it is the parent's responsibility to keep their child safe whether it be from smoking, keeping them restrained in a car seat until the proper age, or wearing a helmet with atvs or even bikes or anything else for that matter. There is no excuse when it can be prevented.

It's all about saving lifes and prevention.

Obviously - you didn't read the most important part of my post ----"i make my kids wear a helmet any time they get on their pocket rocket, scooters, or atvs..." that is how i started my post .... and just because i don't agree with it doesn't mean I would tell them to stop wearing their helmets ...

this law has nothing to do with child safety this is another way for your state and county government to be able to go on YOUR property with out a warrant ---

just think all it takes now is your neighbor to call the police and say i say so and so's 12 year old kid and that is enough for them to come and give you a ticket ... pretty scary if you ask me ...

and if you check the statistics the average age of new smokers is 12 which means that children are starting to smoke way earlier than 12 .... not too mention the number of children under 16 that have to suffer the effects of second hand smoke ...

and with this passing what then becomes next ... if you are under the age of 16 you are unable to carry a gun on private property ... think about that ... no more hunting on the farm....

i do agree with one of your points this is a issue of supervision on private property.... if my child is on public property- yes, give me and the child a fine ----it should be my choice on my property ....
Over a twenty year period there were 5239 atv deaths in the US ---33% (1706) were under the age of 16 --- 14% (723) were under 12 ....Those stats show that the parents wasn't around and most 4 wheelers you can;t ride them inless your 16....and all of there parents were breaking the law letting them ride with out supervison...the helmet deal i think you should wear 1 but make it a law to were they can com on your property because your child was't wearing a helmet thats stupid....That just gives more reasons for your neighbors to call the police on you.....and yes safety of the child comes first but make it a law so you rember to protect you child you gott be kidding me if don't know any better to make your child wear a helmet on an atv or anything else you should't have kids.....
evillive Wrote:Obviously - you didn't read the most important part of my post ----"i make my kids wear a helmet any time they get on their pocket rocket, scooters, or atvs..." that is how i started my post .... and just because i don't agree with it doesn't mean I would tell them to stop wearing their helmets ...

this law has nothing to do with child safety this is another way for your state and county government to be able to go on YOUR property with out a warrant ---

just think all it takes now is your neighbor to call the police and say i say so and so's 12 year old kid and that is enough for them to come and give you a ticket ... pretty scary if you ask me ...

and if you check the statistics the average age of new smokers is 12 which means that children are starting to smoke way earlier than 12 .... not too mention the number of children under 16 that have to suffer the effects of second hand smoke ...

and with this passing what then becomes next ... if you are under the age of 16 you are unable to carry a gun on private property ... think about that ... no more hunting on the farm....

i do agree with one of your points this is a issue of supervision on private property.... if my child is on public property- yes, give me and the child a fine ----it should be my choice on my property ....

I did read your post and saw that you made your children wear helmets. I'm glad to hear that. So do we...Our oldest will be 5 this month so he is not old enough to be riding an ATV just yet. He only rides a bike & skateboard.

You say that this law has nothing to do with child safety and rather a way for government to come onto your property without a warrant...that is your interepretation of it...I don't think its about government finding another way to come onto your property. I honestly thinks its a way to convince more parents of the safety of helmets and to help prevent more deaths. Officials are trying to scare people into using helmets. They shouldn't have to do this because obviously parents should know that their children as well as themselves need to wear helmets. But believe me and I'm sure you know this as well that there are people out there that have no business being parents but they are still parents. There are a whole lot of uneducated/unaware people in this world. I think this law is meant for them.

I also agree with what you are saying about smoking. There definitely should be more strict laws against smoking. I'm all for it.

As far as more and more laws coming into place, I think some if not most of them are necessary...We seem to have an overpopulation of idiots parading around as parents...
BlueGrassGirl Wrote:I did read your post and saw that you made your children wear helmets. I'm glad to hear that. So do we...Our oldest will be 5 this month so he is not old enough to be riding an ATV just yet. He only rides a bike & skateboard.

You say that this law has nothing to do with child safety and rather a way for government to come onto your property without a warrant...that is your interepretation of it...I don't think its about government finding another way to come onto your property. I honestly thinks its a way to convince more parents of the safety of helmets and to help prevent more deaths. Officials are trying to scare people into using helmets. They shouldn't have to do this because obviously parents should know that their children as well as themselves need to wear helmets. But believe me and I'm sure you know this as well that there are people out there that have no business being parents but they are still parents. There are a whole lot of uneducated/unaware people in this world. I think this law is meant for them.

I also agree with what you are saying about smoking. There definitely should be more strict laws against smoking. I'm all for it.

As far as more and more laws coming into place, I think some if not most of them are necessary...We seem to have an overpopulation of idiots parading around as parents...

child safety is a crutch the government uses .... look at the seat belt law for your car at first it was a secondary law (meaning you had to be pulled over for something else before you to get a ticket for it ) it has become a primary law now and they can pull you over when they see you not wearing it... if smoking ever became illegal would it be ok for the police to give you a fine for smoking in your home ....?

how many of these children do you think had parental supervision... penalize for no supervision ... (then you can add the helmet into it.)

what is going to stop ky from making a law that states that your child has to wear a helmet when riding a bike ... on public property .... on private property .... ?
Fletcher has ruined KY this laws is stupid i mean we don;t need laws tell us to protect are kids we know this or should and in this case they might aswell start rewriting the amendments....
Pages: 1 2 3