Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Change at Harlan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Saw this official report. Coach Lester is one of the good guys. Wish him well in whatever path he chooses.

Sunday, May 15
Lester steps down as HHS basketball coach

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

Through five years as a player, one as an assistant coach and the last 10 as head coach, Casey Lester has spent almost half his life as a part of the Harlan High School basketball program.

Lester reportedly told his players Friday in a meeting at the school that he won't be returning for a 10th year as head coach. Harlan High School Athletic Director confirmed Saturday that Lester has officially resigned.

Lester, who compiled a record of 87-155, was never able to restore the Harlan program to the status it enjoyed during his playing career in the 1990s. He moved into the starting lineup as an eighth-grader on Mike Jones' first team, beginning one of the most successful runs in Harlan County history as part of an all-star lineup that also featured 1995 Mr. Basketball Charles Thomas and all-staters Michael Jones, Todd Cox and Lester.

Harlan won its first regional title in 14 years in 1993 and also began a string of All "A" Classic regional championships. The Dragons won the first of two straight All "A" Classic state titles in 1994 but were upset in the regional semifinals that March by Clay County.

Harlan bounced back in 1995 and advanced to the state semifinals before falling to Pleasure Ridge Park. Thomas and Cox played on the Kentucky All-Star team that summer.

Despite losing three key players to graduation (Thomas, Cox and Kevin Hudson), the Dragons made their third trip to Rupp Arena in 1996 with Lester, Nathan Blanton and Jeremy Simpson providing steady senior leadership in a lineup that also included Joel Kauffman and Kyle Jones.

Lester was an all-state selection as a senior and went on to sign with Berea College

He returned to Harlan as an assistant under Dennis Custard in the 2002 season and took over as head coach the next year. Lester rebuilt with a youthful lineup that featured eighth-grader John Smith and freshman Ryan Clem. Harlan improved from 3-23 in Lester's first year to 8-19 and then 19-13 in 2005. The Dragons fell to 13-13 in 2006 when Smith suffered a season-ending foot injury.

Lester started another rebuilding job three years ago and finished 8-18 and 7-18 the next two years before improving to 11-15 last season.
Really going to be interesting to see who fills this position.......

To Coach Lester.......Thank you so much for all you did for Philip and the boys. Best of luck to you.
Any sense if they will hire from within
Stardust Wrote:Any sense if they will hire from within

LOL that's a good question. Given that they are losing teachers I would assume that's a safe bet. I have heard speculation or rumor of 4 names...two from within, two from outside. My son played last two years and I was fairly close with Casey....I have no idea who they are looking at.

I am fairly sure of one name that will not be in the hat...:biggrin:
Good Luck to Coach Lester.
Dungy Wrote:Saw this official report. Coach Lester is one of the good guys. Wish him well in whatever path he chooses.

Sunday, May 15
Lester steps down as HHS basketball coach

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

Through five years as a player, one as an assistant coach and the last 10 as head coach, Casey Lester has spent almost half his life as a part of the Harlan High School basketball program.

Lester reportedly told his players Friday in a meeting at the school that he won't be returning for a 10th year as head coach. Harlan High School Athletic Director confirmed Saturday that Lester has officially resigned.

Lester, who compiled a record of 87-155, was never able to restore the Harlan program to the status it enjoyed during his playing career in the 1990s. He moved into the starting lineup as an eighth-grader on Mike Jones' first team, beginning one of the most successful runs in Harlan County history as part of an all-star lineup that also featured 1995 Mr. Basketball Charles Thomas and all-staters Michael Jones, Todd Cox and Lester.

Harlan won its first regional title in 14 years in 1993 and also began a string of All "A" Classic regional championships. The Dragons won the first of two straight All "A" Classic state titles in 1994 but were upset in the regional semifinals that March by Clay County.

Harlan bounced back in 1995 and advanced to the state semifinals before falling to Pleasure Ridge Park. Thomas and Cox played on the Kentucky All-Star team that summer.

Despite losing three key players to graduation (Thomas, Cox and Kevin Hudson), the Dragons made their third trip to Rupp Arena in 1996 with Lester, Nathan Blanton and Jeremy Simpson providing steady senior leadership in a lineup that also included Joel Kauffman and Kyle Jones.

Lester was an all-state selection as a senior and went on to sign with Berea College

He returned to Harlan as an assistant under Dennis Custard in the 2002 season and took over as head coach the next year. Lester rebuilt with a youthful lineup that featured eighth-grader John Smith and freshman Ryan Clem. Harlan improved from 3-23 in Lester's first year to 8-19 and then 19-13 in 2005. The Dragons fell to 13-13 in 2006 when Smith suffered a season-ending foot injury.

Lester started another rebuilding job three years ago and finished 8-18 and 7-18 the next two years before improving to 11-15 last season.

I find it odd that you left out part of the article. I will highlight the part you left out.

Lester reportedly told his players Friday in a meeting at the school that he won't be returning for a 10th year as head coach. Harlan High School Athletic Director Kevin Bal confirmed Saturday that Lester has officially resigned. Lester, however, said he had no plans to resign until meeting with school officials.

http://www.eteamz.com/harlancountysports...cat=770299
The story was updated several times, which is one of the advantages of the Internet. That part was added a little later when I talked with coach Lester.

By JOHN HENSON
Harlan County Sports.com
Through five years as a player, one as an assistant coach and the last nine as head coach, Casey Lester has spent almost half his life as a part of the Harlan High School basketball program.
Lester reportedly told his players Friday in a meeting at the school that he won't be returning for a 10th year as head coach. Harlan High School Athletic Director Kevin Ball confirmed Saturday that Lester has officially resigned. Lester, however, said he had no plans to resign until meeting with school officials.
"I have enjoyed coaching the players at Harlan over the last nine years and never had any intentions of leaving. After meeting with the administration, we had two different views about the way the program was heading," Lester said. "I want to thank all of the players, parents and students who have supported me in this stepping stone in my life. At this time I am going to enjoy spending time with my incredible wife and two great boys. Someday, I hope to be back on the basketball court sharing the love of basketball."
This sounds more like a push out to me after reading the other part of HDE's story.
Coach Lester has given a large part of his life to the Harlan program. He is much appreciated and loved,but I think Harlan is ready for a change. Thanks Coach Lester.
Rick Parsons, Jim Bob Hicks, Lonnie Huff, Derick Akal.
One name.....Dave Parks
I see one guys knows the entire story! lol
:popcorn:
Hahaha...Bear Paw, I guarantee that you have eaten the most popcorn on this website. I would estimate at least 50 threads with you watching, enjoying and eating. Sure hope you are using low-fat butter Smile

Have a good day, wherever you might be.
Dungy Wrote:Hahaha...Bear Paw, I guarantee that you have eaten the most popcorn on this website. I would estimate at least 50 threads with you watching, enjoying and eating. Sure hope you are using low-fat butter Smile

Have a good day, wherever you might be.

LOL Just call me JAFO....:popcorn: :popcorn:

You can usually find me somewhere near Highway 840, 119 and Chad Street. The real question is where would one find you :dontthink
Are you suggesting that some drive too fast between Harlan and Hazard on US 421? Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?!
I think there is a whole lot more to this story and Coach Lester is getting the bad end of the deal.
^ :please: lol. Dungy is that Dog pictured on your avatar walking forward or backward...lol?

What's the latest? I hear the list is now up to six.
I've honestly been pretending to work and have heard nothing. Share if you have the names please.
Bear_Paw Wrote:^ :please: lol. Dungy is that Dog pictured on your avatar walking forward or backward...lol?

Dungy Wrote:I've honestly been pretending to work and have heard nothing. Share if you have the names please.

So is it official that Lester is out?
Lester is being forced out to make room for Akal, which was the plan all along. Akal has a good team coming back with the girls and he wants one more year with them but Lester is not an idiot...he can see what is happening.
What is really going on in the big town of Harlan CO?
eightball Wrote:Lester is being forced out to make room for Akal, which was the plan all along. Akal has a good team coming back with the girls and he wants one more year with them but Lester is not an idiot...he can see what is happening.

:popcorn: By all means tell us more.......
You want name's....I'll give you names........all rumor or speculation of course.

In no particualr order....the very unofficial list includes:

John D Wilson
Greg Coldiron
Derrick Akal
Lonnie Huff
Dave Parks
Rick Parsons
Jim Bob Hicks
Chris Hogue
Bear_Paw Wrote:^ :please: lol. Dungy is that Dog pictured on your avatar walking forward or backward...lol?

The ^ in the post is intended for post #16. New member snuck a post in and completely changed the context of my post. I have nothing but love for Casey...
eightball Wrote:Lester is being forced out to make room for Akal, which was the plan all along. Akal has a good team coming back with the girls and he wants one more year with them but Lester is not an idiot...he can see what is happening.

It's about time somebody told the truth about what's really going on. :Thumbs: This has been Parks' plan all along.
You are exactly right zone buster! Parks' plan is finally being put in place. All these names being put on here are all for naught. The job will be Derrick Akal's. The interesting thing will be if he takes it this year or will they find someone to take it for one year then give it to Akal. The reason for that is he has a good team coming back with the girls and he wants to coach them one more year.
eightball Wrote:You are exactly right zone buster! Parks' plan is finally being put in place. All these names being put on here are all for naught. The job will be Derrick Akal's. The interesting thing will be if he takes it this year or will they find someone to take it for one year then give it to Akal. The reason for that is he has a good team coming back with the girls and he wants to coach them one more year.

Right on the money eightball! If Akal stays with the girls, then I feel bad (unless it's Parks) for the person they get to do the boys job just for one year. They will no doubt tell whoever it is, they will have the job for years to come. Like you said though, it will be Akal's job either next year or the year after.
I just hate it for Lester and his family because of all the time that he has put into the program and this is the way that he gets treated. It is a total shame! But Harlan Ind. always finds away to cover up their messes!!!!
You got that right eightball. Harlan has always covered up there messes to keep up their so called clean reputation clear. It sickens me to see this unfold the way it is but I knew from the very beginning that Coach Lester would get the bad end of the deal and Akal would slide in. It might not be this year coming because he will want to coach his girls team one more year to pad his record but trust me, HE WILL BE THE BOYS COACH!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4