Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County 2 Pikeville 2 (Called after 9 Innings)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Louisa. An excellent game by both teams. Great pitching and good defense. Timely hitting was not a theme tonight. Both teams had several opportunities and let them slip by. Banks looked very good for LC, better than Cline IMO. And Cecil looked very good for Pikeville, but Hamilton was fantastic (8 K's, faced 9 batters).

Shepherd goes deep for LC with a man on.

Pikeville scored after hits by Keene, Miller and a RBI 5-3 by Hamilton. And again in the top of the seventh after a double by Tolliver Hefner he was advanced to 3rd and scored on a passed ball to tie the game with Pikeville down to their last out.

Both teams had chances in extras but nothing came through. Both teams would have had the top of their orders up in the 10th Pikeville 9,1,2 LC 1,2,3.

Wish it could have been finished. Spectacular high school baseball game. Second only to the game with LCA last year IMO for Pikeville. Just because this one never finished.

Shepherd was 1-3 I believe with a 2R HR and a BB. Ethan Daniel had a hit. Chris Cline about ended the game in the 7th but settled for a double. Those are the only ones I recall I am probably missing 2-4.

For Pikeville, Gavin Miller was 3-4 with a Double. Keene had a hit. Hefner had a double. Jacob Hamilton had an Infield single and an RBI. Taylor Ratliff had a Triple. And that's all I recall for them.

If they do meet up in the Regional Tournament someone needs to make some "It will take at least 16 Innings to Decide this one."
Sounds like a great ball game. Hope they meet in the finals of the region.
didn't see that one coming, props to banks. i really didn't see them holding pikeville to two runs. congrats on both sides. just makes the build up to regionals that much more exciting.
Congrats to both teams for such a battle
I'm just sick about missing this game. I've seen enough mercy games, would have loved to see these two heavyweights slug it out. Sounds like Hamilton was pickin' them up and settin' them down pretty good. The Ratliff triple sounds like the biggest missed opportunity to me, PT. Also sounds like both teams were pressing a little, maybe. Lot of emotion for this game. But congrats to both teams!
PHSForever Wrote:I'm just sick about missing this game. I've seen enough mercy games, would have loved to see these two heavyweights slug it out. Sounds like Hamilton was pickin' them up and settin' them down pretty good. The Ratliff triple sounds like the biggest missed opportunity to me, PT. Also sounds like both teams were pressing a little, maybe. Lot of emotion for this game. But congrats to both teams!

It wasn't a triple folks. The LC left fielder flat missed the ball. It hit off his glove. Was a routine flyball/low liner. That is NOT a triple in any book.
dawgeers Wrote:It wasn't a triple folks. The LC left fielder flat missed the ball. It hit off his glove. Was a routine flyball/low liner. That is NOT a triple in any book.
Did he get to 3rd base? Was it officially scored a triple? Then it is a triple. No offense, but if it was a low liner, the statistician most likely felt there was no error. Either way it goes, the game will only contribute more to the buildup for regionals.
dawgeers Wrote:It wasn't a triple folks. The LC left fielder flat missed the ball. It hit off his glove. Was a routine flyball/low liner. That is NOT a triple in any book.
My bad. Wasn't aware he touched it. I thought he just took a horrible angle and it went over his head.

And I will say this, just because he touched it doesn't make it an error. The angle he took resulted in making a routine play an almost impossible one where he wouldv'e had to make a leaping catch on the move as opposed to drifting under it.

Either way it doesn't really matter, I was just trying to give a recap for everybody so at least they know how it all played out now haha.
It was one of the best games I have seen at any level. If these two meet up in regional I would encourage ESPN, CBS, WYMT to bring their Sat trucks.
It was a triple but I ruled it an E-7 because the ball went right off of Balaklaw's glove, What does everyone else think? This was the best high school baseball game I have seen in a few years minus the win lol. Both teams showed why they are the front runners in the 15th region. Banks and Cecil both looked good and the relief pitcher for Pikeville looked awesome, very creative. Congrats to both teams loved this one..
lcgrad2002 Wrote:It was a triple but I ruled it an E-7 because the ball went right off of Balaklaw's glove, What does everyone else think? This was the best high school baseball game I have seen in a few years minus the win lol. Both teams showed why they are the front runners in the 15th region. Banks and Cecil both looked good and the relief pitcher for Pikeville looked awesome, very creative. Congrats to both teams loved this one..
Thanks for clearing that up, lcgrad. Makes a lot of sense since it did touch his glove. Anyway, leaving a runner on 3rd against such a good quality opponent can't be a habit if Pikeville wants to make another deep run. I'm not aware of how many outs there were, etc., but with Pikeville's speed and hitting, they've got to get that guy across the plate. And lcgrad, the relief pitcher was Hamilton, whom we've all talked about on other threads. I really like this kid, he seems to step up his game even more when the pressure is on. I mean, a strong lineup like LC, and he K's 8 of 9 batters faced? Wow. Couple that with how he humiliated JC last year, and he is making a name for himself. Man, I can't wait for a break so I can get out to some more games!
If they meet in regional finals, do you think Shep would get the call??
Most definitely Shepherd will get the call. Tate Banks pitched an outstanding game as well as Cecil and Hamilton for Pikeville. This game had everything
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Most definitely Shepherd will get the call. Tate Banks pitched an outstanding game as well as Cecil and Hamilton for Pikeville. This game had everything
Purely out of curiosity, what type of pitcher is Banks? Fastball thrower, or offspeed pitch guy, or a mix of speed and a little junk?
PHSForever Wrote:Purely out of curiosity, what type of pitcher is Banks? Fastball thrower, or offspeed pitch guy, or a mix of speed and a little junk?
For a guy that is not really a pitcher by trade, I have seen him throw a ton of excellent games. He has a good fastball and good off-speed stuff. I think his best quality is how well he mixes them up. Pikeville hitters were off balance almost all night against him.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Most definitely Shepherd will get the call. Tate Banks pitched an outstanding game as well as Cecil and Hamilton for Pikeville. This game had everything
This is where the draw is huge for Lawrence County. They can't possibly get matched up with the other 57th team until the championship. So, if they can get Pikeville on the other side of the bracket, it should be smooth sailing without Chandler throwing until the finals. But if they meet Pikeville in the semi's, they will still throw him (Let's say LC wins) and then possibly have to face the other 57th will either Cline or Banks which will be a huge mental boost at the very least for the other 57th. Not that Cline or Banks are incapable because that is certainly not the case, but I think you all get my point. This is assuming all that works out. You still have Belfry, Prestonsburg, etc.. that are capable of beating anyone on a bad night.
Panther Thunder Wrote:This is where the draw is huge for Lawrence County. They can't possibly get matched up with the other 57th team until the championship. So, if they can get Pikeville on the other side of the bracket, it should be smooth sailing without Chandler throwing until the finals. But if they meet Pikeville in the semi's, they will still throw him (Let's say LC wins) and then possibly have to face the other 57th will either Cline or Banks which will be a huge mental boost at the very least for the other 57th. Not that Cline or Banks are incapable because that is certainly not the case, but I think you all get my point. This is assuming all that works out. You still have Belfry, Prestonsburg, etc.. that are capable of beating anyone on a bad night.
Good points! When will the draw take place for the regional bracketing?
PHSForever Wrote:Good points! When will the draw take place for the regional bracketing?
I think it is traditionally the Sunday before the tournament. Could be Saturday though.
PHSForever Wrote:Thanks for clearing that up, lcgrad. Makes a lot of sense since it did touch his glove. Anyway, leaving a runner on 3rd against such a good quality opponent can't be a habit if Pikeville wants to make another deep run. I'm not aware of how many outs there were, etc., but with Pikeville's speed and hitting, they've got to get that guy across the plate. And lcgrad, the relief pitcher was Hamilton, whom we've all talked about on other threads. I really like this kid, he seems to step up his game even more when the pressure is on. I mean, a strong lineup like LC, and he K's 8 of 9 batters faced? Wow. Couple that with how he humiliated JC last year, and he is making a name for himself. Man, I can't wait for a break so I can get out to some more games!

Pikeville has not squeezed a run home in 5 years that I can recall. The situation was a repeat of LCA last year and Butler last year. Runner on third with 1 or 0 outs and we dont get it done. In close games like these and LC, you must either squeeze or bunt and run to get the run accross. You just cant assume that your hitter can produce otherwise against quality teams with quality pitchers. Until Pikeville fixes this we CANNOT win the close games consistently. Also with the Bbcore bats teams that cant bunt arent gonna win many games next year.

With that said, it was one of the best high school games I have ever seen. Tate Banks, Lane Cecil, Chris Cline, and Jake Hamilton all pitched great and the defenses backed them. I just hope they meet again.

On a side note I was proud of the players for both teams last night. Hugs by the captains as they are friends and have so much respect for one another. Also many hugs after the game. I was proud to see these young men display this type of respect for each other. This is how it is meant to be.

Congrats to both sides.
Panther Thunder Wrote:This is where the draw is huge for Lawrence County. They can't possibly get matched up with the other 57th team until the championship. So, if they can get Pikeville on the other side of the bracket, it should be smooth sailing without Chandler throwing until the finals. But if they meet Pikeville in the semi's, they will still throw him (Let's say LC wins) and then possibly have to face the other 57th will either Cline or Banks which will be a huge mental boost at the very least for the other 57th. Not that Cline or Banks are incapable because that is certainly not the case, but I think you all get my point. This is assuming all that works out. You still have Belfry, Prestonsburg, etc.. that are capable of beating anyone on a bad night.

If you recall back in 2009, LC pitched Shepherd against Pikeville in the semifinals of the region and threw Cody Moore against favorite Johnson Central in the finals. I believe the outcome of that game was a dominating shutout by Moore. Although Moore seems to be on the shelf for the season, Banks has stepped up and has the same quality of pitches as Moore did in 2009. Cline has also stepped up. He was no slouch against Pikeville hitters last night.

My question to Pikeville people is who will Pikeville pitch against LC? I would assume especially after the outing he had last night, they would throw Hamilton. But what if they are opposite of LC and have to face a Johnson Central? Would it be too risky to not throw Hamilton against JC?
dawgeers Wrote:If you recall back in 2009, LC pitched Shepherd against Pikeville in the semifinals of the region and threw Cody Moore against favorite Johnson Central in the finals. I believe the outcome of that game was a dominating shutout by Moore. Although Moore seems to be on the shelf for the season, Banks has stepped up and has the same quality of pitches as Moore did in 2009. Cline has also stepped up. He was no slouch against Pikeville hitters last night.

My question to Pikeville people is who will Pikeville pitch against LC? I would assume especially after the outing he had last night, they would throw Hamilton. But what if they are opposite of LC and have to face a Johnson Central? Would it be too risky to not throw Hamilton against JC?
They have got confidence in all 3. There won't be a mistake whichever way they decide to go. I think Burton will throw against JC if that were to happen.

And I realize that, but you cannot argue that it wouldn't be the more favorable draw if they are opposite JC and Pikeville.
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any way LC sees anyone except Hamilton in the regional tourney. Burton in first round (unless Pikeville draws the 57th runner-up, in which case Cecil would go)...

So my preditction is Hamilton vs. LC no matter what, Cecil vs. other 57th team, and Burton against whoever the other game is against.

Again, one person's opinion.

Also agree with Commanche's take on the lack of squeezes.

Also agree that Pikeville has confidence in all 3.
Is Hamilton Pikeville's ace? I wouldn't mind throwing Banks against Pikeville again he pitched great.
Go right ahead haha Pikeville hit Banks and only one batter hit a fair ball on Hamilton in three innings. :biggrin: Pikeville would win 9 out of 10 with that matchup. Get real though no way in the world LC throws anyone but Shepherd against Pikeville in the regional tournament.:please:
jetpilot Wrote:Go right ahead haha Pikeville hit Banks and only one batter hit a fair ball on Hamilton in three innings. :biggrin: Pikeville would win 9 out of 10 with that matchup. Get real though no way in the world LC throws anyone but Shepherd against Pikeville in the regional tournament.:please:
Just to clarify, no one put one in play off Jacob. The other out was a walk and then caught stealing.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Is Hamilton Pikeville's ace? I wouldn't mind throwing Banks against Pikeville again he pitched great.
Not to be mean, but how many times do we have to say that Pikeville has no "ace"? They have 3 starters that are all about equal and can go against anyone on any given day and be successful.
Cool PT that's even more awesome.
Ok lol.. Good for them
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Ok lol.. Good for them
Why does everyone seem to think it is unrealistic to not have an "ace" on staff? Think about it, LC gets 2 runs off of Cecil on one HR. It's not like they were banging Cecil around all night. Hamilton comes in and shuts them down completely, and to be honest, Burton can do the same on any given night. A deep staff like LC's and Pikeville's lends itself to success in tourneys, and both teams are gonna be tough for anyone to handle.
Pages: 1 2