Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kings to KY or Cincy: Good or Bad idea?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With Joe and Gavin Maloof wanting to move the Kings (be real, they are, they just can't get it done) I have always thought about Kentucky or Cincinatti.

Thinking about it more and more Louisville seems like a perfectly good alternative to Sac-Town, and better than Anaheim.

Everyone always talks about attendance and money as issues with moves.

Kentucky has 5 Fortune 500 companies including Humana. Cincinnati has Kroger and Proctor & Gamble (Fortune 25 companies) and 4 other companies that are also Fortune 500 companies. So the money is there.

I also saw a link that said Louisville is the 17th largest city in the US. So size is certainly not the problem.

So would a potential move to Kentucky or Cincinnati be a bad move (were the Cincinnati Royals at one point Wink )

Did I forget the Yum! Arena? Yeah that is a nice draw as well, if they have many luxury boxes.
LWC Wrote:With Joe and Gavin Maloof wanting to move the Kings (be real, they are, they just can't get it done) I have always thought about Kentucky or Cincinatti.

Thinking about it more and more Louisville seems like a perfectly good alternative to Sac-Town, and better than Anaheim.

Kentucky has 5 Fortune 500 companies including Humana. Cincinnati has Kroger and Proctor & Gamble (Fortune 25 companies) and 4 other companies that are also Fortune 500 companies. So the money is there.

I also saw a link that said Louisville is the 17th largest city in the US. So size is certainly not the problem.

So would a potential move to Kentucky or Cincinnati be a bad move (were the Cincinnati Royals at one point Wink )

Did I forget the Yum! Arena? Yeah that is a nice draw as well, if they have many luxury boxes.
UofL is not willing to share the Yum! Center. If they come to Louisville, the Kings will have to play at Freedom Hall.
Jarons Wrote:UofL is not willing to share the Yum! Center. If they come to Louisville, the Kings will have to play at Freedom Hall.

Seriously? The University paid for the entire arena? WOW!
I'm sure they could work something out for both teams to play there. Cal said sharing a gym with the Grizzles helped recruiting at Memphis. Pitino might get desperate enough to do the same.
BTW I love the idea of a NBA team coming to Louisville or Cincy, don't know if it would work out though.
LWC Wrote:Seriously? The University paid for the entire arena? WOW!
http://www.fox41.com/story/13973083/the-...-be-coming

The article mentions an NBA team would have to use Freedom Hall.
YUM! Center is a downtown arena. I believe most of it was paid for in taxes. I could be wrong though.
This would be awesome! But I doubt it working out.
These are college towns, and IMHO, will never support and NBA team and their exorbitant prices. Yes, there are plenty of us that will pay $250 twice to go see an NBA game during the year, but there is not enough to support 14-16K fans for 41 dates. And there is NO WAY they can sell the luxury boxes and $1,000 court-side seats.
Stardust Wrote:These are college towns, and IMHO, will never support and NBA team and their exorbitant prices. Yes, there are plenty of us that will pay $250 twice to go see an NBA game during the year, but there is not enough to support 14-16K fans for 41 dates. And there is NO WAY they can sell the luxury boxes and $1,000 court-side seats.

The 17th largest city in America is a college town? Cincinnati with 4 Fortune 500 companies and two Fortune 30 companies is a college town?

I agree that they would not sell out 41 games, but they could get the boxes sold. In a state that has a MAJOR difference in money from the top to the bottom of the economic scale would have people that love to flaunt it.
^ Cincinnat is SMALL Market that is conservative. It's heavily rooted in college basketball and the interest in Pro Basketball has never been here. If you recall, the Kings originated in Cincinnati with the greatest Point Guard to ever play the game as the main attraction and they still could not get anyone to come to games
Stardust Wrote:^ Cincinnat is SMALL Market that is conservative. It's heavily rooted in college basketball and the interest in Pro Basketball has never been here. If you recall, the Kings originated in Cincinnati with the greatest Point Guard to ever play the game as the main attraction and they still could not get anyone to come to games

Most places are small market because they only consider about 8-10 cities as major markets (NY, LA, Chi-town, Miami, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, etc...)

True story about Cincy. It is sad too. A team from Salt Lake City can support a winning franchise, why can't a city like Louisville? LEXINGTON has almost 100,000 more citizens than SLC! Louisville has 400,000 more people!

It just blows my mind.
LWC Wrote:Most places are small market because they only consider about 8-10 cities as major markets (NY, LA, Chi-town, Miami, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, etc...)

True story about Cincy. It is sad too. A team from Salt Lake City can support a winning franchise, why can't a city like Louisville? LEXINGTON has almost 100,000 more citizens than SLC! Louisville has 400,000 more people!

It just blows my mind.

yeah but what else does Utah have to do? horse racing and college sports absorb a ton of money from a potential NBA team that Utah really doesnt have to contend against. the Jazz can make it in Utah because it is pretty much the whole pie of the sports world there. here we have both UK and UL football and basketball along with the horse racing industry, there is just too much already established to make a NBA team viable in louisville.
johnnyt Wrote:yeah but what else does Utah have to do? horse racing and college sports absorb a ton of money from a potential NBA team that Utah really doesnt have to contend against. the Jazz can make it in Utah because it is pretty much the whole pie of the sports world there. here we have both UK and UL football and basketball along with the horse racing industry, there is just too much already established to make a NBA team viable in louisville.

I could understand that if Louisville didn't have much more money AND 400,000 more people. Remember that is JUST in Louisville, Lexington, a top 100 city is just a couple hours away......
Lexington and Louisville already have professional teams- UK and U of L. The Kings would be lower minor league compared to these two.:biggrin:
Truth Wrote:Lexington and Louisville already have professional teams- UK and U of L. The Kings would be lower minor league compared to these two.:biggrin:

So funny, I forgot to laugh :eyeroll:
LWC Wrote:With Joe and Gavin Maloof wanting to move the Kings (be real, they are, they just can't get it done) I have always thought about Kentucky or Cincinatti.

According to Wikipedia, Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN MSA is the 42nd largest in the country. Although the merger of the governments of Louisville and Jefferson County bumped its population up about 10 spots in the rankings, it is still a pretty small metro area to host a major professional sports team, IMO.
Wouldn't work.
LWC Wrote:Most places are small market because they only consider about 8-10 cities as major markets (NY, LA, Chi-town, Miami, Houston, Philly, Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, etc...)

It just blows my mind.

Because SLC has nothing else around. Cincinnati is a college sports area for Basketball. This area is diehard and diverse with fans solidly behind OSU, IU, UK, U of L, UC, XU. Those fans are committed and their dollars go to their college teams. There is nothing else in SLC, NOTHING.
Stardust Wrote:These are college towns, and IMHO, will never support and NBA team and their exorbitant prices. Yes, there are plenty of us that will pay $250 twice to go see an NBA game during the year, but there is not enough to support 14-16K fans for 41 dates. And there is NO WAY they can sell the luxury boxes and $1,000 court-side seats.

If Portland and Oklahoma City can do it, Louisville and Cincinnati can.
They both have already proven that they can't. Royals eventually became the Kings, and the Colonels died without getting a chance to merge with the NBA
Would love to see this. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I'm not sure this state has the people who would pay tens of thousands of dollars to sit courtside. I'm all for this idea though.
Stardust Wrote:They both have already proven that they can't. Royals eventually became the Kings, and the Colonels died without getting a chance to merge with the NBA

How long ago was that? 35-40 years? IMO Cincinnati would be the best bet. They already have the Reds and Bengals and the fan base at UC for basketball isn't as big as UofL's or UK's. Nor has UC had as much success in recent years. You never know, maybe an NBA team could revive basketball fanhood in Cincy.
Shoot, I am game for Nashville or West Virginia or anything other than Sacramento or Anaheim! It gets hard staying up until midnight or later to watch their games, lol.
itzAmazing Wrote:Would love to see this. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I'm not sure this state has the people who would pay tens of thousands of dollars to sit courtside. I'm all for this idea though.

You think OKC has the people that do that? Or Memphis? I really don't think it's that much of a stretch to bring a team to Louisville or Cincy. Especially Cincy.
Stardust Wrote:^ Cincinnat is SMALL Market that is conservative. It's heavily rooted in college basketball and the interest in Pro Basketball has never been here. If you recall, the Kings originated in Cincinnati with the greatest Point Guard to ever play the game as the main attraction and they still could not get anyone to come to games

UC basketball was in it's prime. Aside from a decent season last year, UC basketball has been mediocre at best in the decade after KMart and Co. left. I think if an NBA team were to ever strive in Cincinnati, it'd be now.
I think that this would be a great idea and I have been hoping to see an NBA team move to Louisville since they tried to do so back when the Charlotte Hornets moved. I think that it would make for a great Central location because you would have Cincinnati, Lexington, and Evansville all less than two hours away.
leecoukfan Wrote:I think that this would be a great idea and I have been hoping to see an NBA team move to Louisville since they tried to do so back when the Charlotte Hornets moved. I think that it would make for a great Central location because you would have Cincinnati, Lexington, and Evansville all less than two hours away.

:Thumbs:
I agree with LClion4life's posts on this. It can be done, no doubt about it.
Truth Wrote:Lexington and Louisville already have professional teams- UK and U of L. The Kings would be lower minor league compared to these two.:biggrin:

Cincy's pro teams suck so bad I would never believe any of their fans' definition of what a pro team is.:biggrin:
itzAmazing Wrote:Would love to see this. But, as someone mentioned earlier, I'm not sure this state has the people who would pay tens of thousands of dollars to sit courtside. I'm all for this idea though.

That's what people are missing and thinking with their hearts, definitely not their heads. This area does NOT have corporate sponsors, just ask the Bengals and Reds. Professional sports money comes from corporations, not fans. No way it works in the Cincinnati market.

Hmm, then why do the Bengals and Reds not have major money coming from these two?
Pages: 1 2