Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Famous "Duke" Combs from Cordia headed back to Kentucky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where is he going to end up coaching? Can't believe he would leave Florida and come back here, but he is. We could see him at Breathitt, Leslie, Pulaski SW, or even at Cordia if Coach Fugate goes somewhere else. Will be nice to see him back in the area.
It would be nice to see him back on the sidelines. Very good Coach.
Ive heard his name being tossed around at some of the open positions, he is definetly planning a return to the state, but I can't see him coming back to the mountains though. He is a very good coach and will do a good job wherever he may land.
Never heard of him.
Ive heard of him.....biggest joke to ever come threw Whitley Co.
I was so happy when he left Whitley for Florida.
Bolt Wrote:Ive heard of him.....biggest joke to ever come threw Whitley Co.
I was so happy when he left Whitley for Florida.

your a joke......let me ask you this bolt, when has whitley county ever been any good? when have they won the region? thats one of the larger schools in all of eastern ky and they never win in basketball EVER...so before you take a shot at a coach you might want to take a look at the school and the talent coming through it
Norm Stewert Wrote:your a joke......let me ask you this bolt, when has whitley county ever been any good? when have they won the region? thats one of the larger schools in all of eastern ky and they never win in basketball EVER...so before you take a shot at a coach you might want to take a look at the school and the talent coming through it

First off, i played for Combs so i think i know a **** thing or two about the man.
Secondly, Whitley is not and never will be a basketball school. Theyve never won a region and only a few districts, due largely to the fact Corbin has ruled that district ever since Whitley consolidated in 1963. Not everybody gets an easy district every year they can just run threw.
And as far as talent, you could prolly walk threw the hallways every year and pick up 5 guys that could be the starting five. Ive seen many 6'6 or 6'7 kids at WC not play simply because there not interested or are into football only. So talent is not the problem, its getting the kids out to play that is.
Duke Combs is nothing but a hot headed bobby knight wannabe. He did nothing but take the program in the wrong direction and left it that way. Im not saying WC is a premier place to coach bball, however you calling me out on something i know of very personally, is bull. You my friend are the joke.

And he really did a wonderful job....
2000-2001 Season
9-19
Out of those nine wins came 2 of them came from Lynn Camp, 2 from Jellico TN, 2 from Barbourville, 1 from Williamsburg, 1 from Knott County Central and 1 from Middlesboro. So pretty much all the wins came from 1A schools, yea man, he turned things around.
ok, first of all Bolt.. One year is not enough time to say whether the man could build a program or not and 9-19 was not too bad for the talent level at the school that year. You said yourself that WC has never been a good basketball school. Coach Combs is a very good coach and always got the most out of what he had. It was probably a mistake for him choosing to come to WC in the first place as they have never been willing to do what it takes to have a successful program. (part of the reason he left btw) Everyone has had coaches who they have liked or disliked but I myself would not bash any coach I ever played under... THAT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE THE JOKE. At some point in time Coach Combs will resurface and he will do a great job wherever he lands. Anyone in the coaching community who knows the man will speak highly of him, just ask around the 14th region.
Duke had some great teams at Cordia and I'm sure he will have a great team anywhere he goes.
What's he famous for? Did they win anything at Cordia? Cordia is his claim to "fame"?
I personally, have never heard of him. From the sounds of it, I think that Southwestern would be a good fit for him.
The year Paintsville won the state title Dook Combs coahed a team at Cordia that took that Paintsville team to double OT. And the tallest person on that team was like 6'1" going up against Vanhoose. Dook Combs coached the only boys basketball team in Cordia history to be ranked in the top 25 in the state of KY. In 1993 and 1994 Cordia easily had the best team in the region both years but due to bad coaching decisions by coach Combs they blew a 25 point lead to M.C. Napier in the semi-finals in the region in 1994. They don't blow that game away coach Combs coaches at Rupp Arena. Coach Combs is a good coach, don't say nothing wrong about him, probably the best defensive mastermind ever in the 14th region, reason they lost to double OT to Paintsville.

Bobby Keith from Clay Co. even told Dook Combs one time, "I am glad you all lost in the WYMT tourney because there was no way we can guard you small and quick guards". That Cordia team played in the highest scoring game in WYMT history, both teams scored over 100 points.
Where's the famous part come in? What's he famous for?
blublood Wrote:ok, first of all Bolt.. One year is not enough time to say whether the man could build a program or not and 9-19 was not too bad for the talent level at the school that year. You said yourself that WC has never been a good basketball school. Coach Combs is a very good coach and always got the most out of what he had. It was probably a mistake for him choosing to come to WC in the first place as they have never been willing to do what it takes to have a successful program. (part of the reason he left btw) Everyone has had coaches who they have liked or disliked but I myself would not bash any coach I ever played under... THAT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE THE JOKE. At some point in time Coach Combs will resurface and he will do a great job wherever he lands. Anyone in the coaching community who knows the man will speak highly of him, just ask around the 14th region.

First of all for everyone asking, hes not famous for anything except being a bad coach.
You must be a little to far out in the mountains as everyone west of Hazard knows different. You all can give me a break on this joke. Ive done seen most of you like him and are going to kiss his *** for some reason, but say what you want, this guy couldnt coach basketball if it was as easy as breathing. I guess his "fame" was LOSING a double OT game. WOW. Thats a **** of a coach.Confusedhh:
Bolt Wrote:First of all for everyone asking, hes not famous for anything except being a bad coach.
You must be a little to far out in the mountains as everyone west of Hazard knows different. You all can give me a break on this joke. Ive done seen most of you like him and are going to kiss his *** for some reason, but say what you want, this guy couldnt coach basketball if it was as easy as breathing. I guess his "fame" was LOSING a double OT game. WOW. Thats a **** of a coach.Confusedhh:

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Combs is famous in Lotts Creek for leading Cordia to the only time in school history to have a top 25 team. No he never won a region, but coached some great teams and some great players. Coached in the greatest game in WYMT Tournament history. There is no video of the game because this was a first round game.

Yeah, he had some bad years after he left Cordia, but that just wasn't a good situation for him. There are coaches that have good years and bad years.

This man is a great coach, and his teams put up a lot of points. Good Luck Duke!!!!!
WALL2WALL Wrote:You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Combs is famous in Lotts Creek for leading Cordia to the only time in school history to have a top 25 team. No he never won a region, but coached some great teams and some great players. Coached in the greatest game in WYMT Tournament history. There is no video of the game because this was a first round game.

Yeah, he had some bad years after he left Cordia, but that just wasn't a good situation for him. There are coaches that have good years and bad years.

This man is a great coach, and his teams put up a lot of points. Good Luck Duke!!!!!

Your right, greatest coach of all time:please:

Its not even "Duke" as most of you are saying. its "DOOK", guess id change it to.
I give up on this thread. Hopefully he will continue to ruin some Fla team than coming here and causing a school embarassment.
Well let me tell you what he is famous for then, he is famous throughout the 14th region cause of what he was able to do at such a small school like Cordia. Just to let everyone know Cordia is currently the smallest public high school in the state. But anyways, he coached several teams at Cordia that would of won the region over the last couple of years. In my opinion he is exactly what the 14th region needs because of the slow style basketball Hatcher has brought here. See in 91, 92, and 93, Cordia led the state of KY in scoring. His teams always scored over 100 points in a game 7 or 8 times a season. That is a style of basketball that us more interesting to watch and better to play in under. Any team that could land a Coach like Dook would be lucky, stealing a coach like that from everyone else.
So he is famous for coaching in the "greatest game in WYMT tournament history"? Wow...don't know how I missed that one. Especially since he lost in the 1st round of it. I apologize...he really must be great.
Is this the same Dook that was at Alice Lloyd College in the early 80's
I wouldn't necessarily call Dook famous or a legend. But I will say that what he accomplished at Cordia was very impressive. Cordia is the smallest public school in the state, now just think about that. Schools that size across the state find it hard to win 10 games in a season. He was able to consistently approach 20. Its true he never won a regional title, but in 1993 he did defeat the regional champion Knott County Central Patriots on 2 different ocassions. The last win coming in the district championship game and it was by 20 points. KCC went on that year and made it to the elite 8. I'm not saying he is the best coach in the state, but he is far from the worst. In the right situaton he could very easily succeed. Oh, and in refernce to Bolt's comments. I too played for coach Combs, and I also played for him for four years. The only time he ever had trouble with a player is when that player was trouble himself. I'm not saying that you were, but to me you sound more like a non-talented cry baby compared to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.
EKY_Basketball Wrote:I wouldn't necessarily call Dook famous or a legend. But I will say that what he accomplished at Cordia was very impressive. Cordia is the smallest public school in the state, now just think about that. Schools that size across the state find it hard to win 10 games in a season. He was able to consistently approach 20. Its true he never won a regional title, but in 1993 he did defeat the regional champion Knott County Central Patriots on 2 different ocassions. The last win coming in the district championship game and it was by 20 points. KCC went on that year and made it to the elite 8. I'm not saying he is the best coach in the state, but he is far from the worst. In the right situaton he could very easily succeed. Oh, and in refernce to Bolt's comments. I too played for coach Combs, and I also played for him for four years. The only time he ever had trouble with a player is when that player was trouble himself. I'm not saying that you were, but to me you sound more like a non-talented cry baby compared to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

lol Please.
Im sure you had fun not winning as well with comb over.
Actually not talented maybe true, im not great, more of a football player as i went to college to do that, however, as im said im done with the thread and not going to reply to your ignorant post.
I bet those memories of 20 win seasons with no region titles sure are something to tell the kids about one day huh?
Bolt Wrote:lol Please.
Im sure you had fun not winning as well with comb over.
Actually not talented maybe true, im not great, more of a football player as i went to college to do that, however, as im said im done with the thread and not going to reply to your ignorant post.
I bet those memories of 20 win seasons with no region titles sure are something to tell the kids about one day huh?

:thatsfunn college thing really didn't work out did it. :lmao:
EKY_Basketball Wrote::thatsfunn college thing really didn't work out did it. :lmao:

I dont know, you tell me....
I have a bachelors degree in business administration
I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice/homeland security
I have an associates in general studies
I have an associates degree in chemical relations
Not to mention military service.
So you tell me dumbass, hows college working out for you.
Did "Dousche", i mean dook, set you up nicely?
Confusedhh:

But getting back on topic, which you quickly diverted us from, where will he really end up?
Anyone heard anything? Hopefully nowhere near far southeastern ky.
Bolt Wrote:I dont know, you tell me....
Confusedhh:

But getting back on topic, which you quickly diverted us from, where will he really end up?

It allowed me to get a cougar!!!
Its obvious that Bolt never got any playing time, so lets just let him keep crying, he might eventually shut his dumb a$$ up. Dook Combs is a very good coach, he is a legend on Lotts Creek is all, but he would be an automatic lock for a top 5 coach in the 14th region. I would much rather play for a coach like him that will average over 80 points a game then one like we have now in this region that averages a larger margin less
Bolt Wrote:I dont know, you tell me....
Confusedhh:

Hopefully it is south eastern ky. This 40ppg games are killing me. These games are some of the most boring games, Dook would bring back his fast break to any school that would be lucky enough to have him. Three strait years cordia lead the state in scoring under this game, he would bring back a more exciting brand of basketball.

I have no idea why you hate Dook so much, he is a great coach, great person and never tried to treat his players different than others. He never played favorites, always played the players that were deserving of playing time.

You must be a player that he never played and you have had a grudge since.

And also for your information, Dook always had a hard schedule. No matter what talent he had on his team he would schedule the best teams in the 13th, 14th, and 15th. That's is why he had some rough seasons because he was playing all the best teams in the mountains. There was a few years in a row that he had 20+ wins, and with the schedule that he had that is impressive. And what Crazy Horse was saying about Bobby Keith, it was confirmed to me that he actually told Dook that he was glad they had got beat in the first round of the wymt because he had nobody on his team that could have guarded Dook's guards. I'd take a Dook Combs over a Hatcher any day of the week. Hatcher is a good coach with region titles and a state title, but I just get bored, that's why I don't go to PCC games anymore. I don't care if Dook has never won a region, some of the best high school games I have ever witnessed was when Dook was coaching.

Good Luck Dook!!! If you stay in Florida Good Luck to, but I hope you come back to eastern kentucky.
I would take any of Dook's teams in the early 90s 20+ over any team in this region in the past 6-7 years. I'd take a Tad Brewer over anyone of the players in this span as well.
:lmao:
lol you all crack me up.
What the hell got you a cougar.
And yes actually i got plenty of playing time since i started retard. Itg has nothing to do with pt. Im not the only one around Whitley County that feels like this. Its the reason he was gone after one year.
Lastly, ill tell you this.
If Dousche Combs comes in somewhere in eastern ky and wins more than 15 games his first year ill cancel my account and never come on bgr again.:thatsfunn
Bolt Wrote::lmao:
lol you all crack me up.
What the hell got you a cougar.
And yes actually i got plenty of playing time since i started retard. Itg has nothing to do with pt. Im not the only one around Whitley County that feels like this. Its the reason he was gone after one year.
Lastly, ill tell you this.
If Dousche Combs comes in somewhere in eastern ky and wins more than 15 games his first year ill cancel my account and never come on bgr again.:thatsfunn

your mom :rockon: