Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (Rumor)Clay County new coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
heared coach Arnett is going back to Florida
We will make this thread a rumor until someone can get a 100% fact that he's gone.
I have heard similar rumors as well. I don't think coaching in the mountains is what he thought it would be.
If this is true we will know soon.
It's TRUE. A coach told me he resigned Wednesday night. Suppose to be going back to the Lakeland area of Florida. Best of luck Shannon.
Better to do it now than to wait until July or August.
SLHSCard Wrote:I have heard similar rumors as well. I don't think coaching in the mountains is what he thought it would be.

I would've thought he should have known this. Interesting stuff. I thought he was quoted as saying this was his "dream" job. Any front-runners for the job?
Guess it's true. Here's some info. taken from the Manchester newspaper...

Clay County High School head football coach Shannon Arnett has stepped down from his position at Clay County High School.

Arnett will be taking the head coaching position at Lake Gibson High School in Florida, where he previously coached before becoming the head coach at Clay County.

The CCHS football team learned of the news late Wednesday afternoon, with Arnett addressing the team.

“It was hard,” said Arnett, “Probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I couldn’t look at the kids, and I was choking back tears simply because I love these kids.”
It's almost June. Clay will need to get a coach into place soon.
watcher Wrote:It's almost June. Clay will need to get a coach into place soon.
I think clay have some good assistants that could run things a while.
nedreader Wrote:Guess it's true. Here's some info. taken from the Manchester newspaper...

Clay County High School head football coach Shannon Arnett has stepped down from his position at Clay County High School.

Arnett will be taking the head coaching position at Lake Gibson High School in Florida, where he previously coached before becoming the head coach at Clay County.

The CCHS football team learned of the news late Wednesday afternoon, with Arnett addressing the team.

“It was hard,” said Arnett, “Probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I couldn’t look at the kids, and I was choking back tears simply because I love these kids.”
Thanks for the info.
So what will Clay do now? This is definitely a tough spot to be in for the program. There is very little time for a new coach to get things going. They will have to be fast but of course they have a mandatory time they must take. What did Arnett teach that will leave a vacancy? Are there any other openings? That will certainly affect their ability to move quickly. What direction will they go?
Sorry to hear this. Looking forward to our (Knox Central) game with Clay. Big Jacob Hyde and crew should be a good team this year. Hope you guys find a great coach quickly. The ex-coach from Greenup (who's name I cannot recall) is an excellent fellow and a fine coach. I'd go get him today if you can.
KYcoach Wrote:So what will Clay do now? This is definitely a tough spot to be in for the program. There is very little time for a new coach to get things going. They will have to be fast but of course they have a mandatory time they must take. What did Arnett teach that will leave a vacancy? Are there any other openings? That will certainly affect their ability to move quickly. What direction will they go?
I'm not sure on the "mandatory" time limit if the job is filled within. I don't expect a big search because I doubt there will be any positions added for a new coach or any assistants he may want. Look for Mr. White to act fast and fill the job with one of the current assistants already in place and already employed by the BOE. I would narrow current assistants interested in the head position as Evan Napier and Brian Samples. Although he is not currently on the staff, Jamie Gilbert will also be considered. I will be shocked if it's not one of those three.
If samples wants it he should have first go at it, it seems like hes been there forever. Was Napier the head man there back in the 90's? is that the same guy?
IMO, any of those 3 would be a downgrade to Arnett.
Can you give me a little history on Arnett. How long he coached, win-lose record, district or region titles, playoff appearances, playoff wins, ETC.
shocked to see this, this benefits the district IMO. Who other than assistants are a choice.
nedreader Wrote:IMO, any of those 3 would be a downgrade to Arnett.
Arnett is a good guy and a good coach but the fact of the matter is he doesn't want to be a Clay. Evan Napier would be there for the long run and in my opinion that in it's self would be an upgrade. I see NO "downgrade" in any of the three mentioned.
I think Arnett was an assistant for 12 yrs. before becoming head coach at Clay. Approximately 6 of those at probably one of the Top 10 programs in the country(Lakeland High). I just think he has more QUALITY experience than those listed. I see a rough 2011 ahead for the Tigers.
Good Luck Shannon!
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Arnett is a good guy and a good coach but the fact of the matter is he doesn't want to be a Clay. Evan Napier would be there for the long run and in my opinion that in it's self would be an upgrade. I see NO "downgrade" in any of the three mentioned.

Has nothing to do with wanting to be at Clay. It was a family decision. You have not been happy since your old buddy Stepp was ran off, but looks like he could not get along anywhere else either.

I hope whoever gets it does a good job.
jed Wrote:Has nothing to do with wanting to be at Clay. It was a family decision. You have not been happy since your old buddy Stepp was ran off, but looks like he could not get along anywhere else either.

I hope whoever gets it does a good job.
You sound a little defensive Jed. Trust me when I say my happiness in life is not linked to Stepp, Arnett or Clay County football. Sure, I'm happy when they win and Have been a supporter for a long time. Whether or not you want to accept it, it only took two years for Arnett and his family to know they didn't want to be at Clay...Hell I can't blame them. I wish Shannon could have stayed until retirement...A family decision that they no longer want to be at Clay has been made. Can we move on now? If not, I'd rather talk about this in person.
I thought Arnett done a good job. Clay is one of those programs that is right on the cusp of being great. I'd like to see gilbert or samples get it, they've been around the block over there through the good times and bad.
Matters not who gets it, death awaits them in the playoffs, as does everyone in our district.

Lex Cath, Boyle, Mercer

To beat one is hard, to beat 2 or 3 of them is harder
Then the winner of that gets Highlands.........there is only one other place worse than this.....if you were in Trinity and St. X district and region.

Not a very enticing job when you look at that aspect.
We have heard the negatives, but what are some of the good aspects of this job? In other words, sell this program to a good coach.
Score Now! Wrote:We have heard the negatives, but what are some of the good aspects of this job? In other words, sell this program to a good coach.

you play good competition in the playoffs and district. You get to play at a high level.
What kind of facilities do they have? I heard they may be getting a turf field?
Paul Crewe Wrote:Then the winner of that gets Highlands.........there is only one other place worse than this.....if you were in Trinity and St. X district and region.

Not a very enticing job when you look at that aspect.

Wow, the district being hard is one thing but the region and then if one was to be lucky enough to make it to the semi's, what you have waiting for you will make this Clay County JOB a very tough sale for anyone!! Regardless of facilities and support this is going to be a job that will be at the bottom of the mountain with a VERY long climb in front of it with the RIGHT man in place, put the wrong guy in and get ready for some very rough seasons ahead for the Tigers.
Pages: 1 2 3