Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pushing The Game Of Baseball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I THINK WE NEED TO PUSH THE GAME OF BASEBALL TO THE #1 SPORT IN FLOYD COUNTY , I COACHED LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL FOR 17 YEARS AND I HAVE SEEN SOME EXCELLENT TALENT JUST GO DOWN THE DRAIN BECAUSE OF BASKETBALL , I HAVE HAD PLAYERS PLAY FOR ME AND SEEN OTHER PLAYER PLAY BASEBALL AGAINST ME THAT WERE #1 TALENT'S BUT THEY TOOK OFF TO BASKETBALL AND AFTER HIGH SCHOOL THAT WAS THE END OF THEIR CAREER , WHEN AND IF THEY WOULD HAVE STAYED WITH BASEBALL AND PUT THE TIME AND EFFORT INTO IT LIKE THEY DID BASKETBALL THEY WOULD HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES I THINK , BUT GOD KNOWS I LOVE BASKETBALL AS GOOD AS ANY HUMAN.:yesno:
Where did you coach little league at? H.A.P?
i coached with the beaver creek little league
"CLINE 2006" Wrote:I THINK WE NEED TO PUSH THE GAME OF BASEBALL TO THE #1 SPORT IN FLOYD COUNTY , I COACHED LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL FOR 17 YEARS AND I HAVE SEEN SOME EXCELLENT TALENT JUST GO DOWN THE DRAIN BECAUSE OF BASKETBALL , I HAVE HAD PLAYERS PLAY FOR ME AND SEEN OTHER PLAYER PLAY BASEBALL AGAINST ME THAT WERE #1 TALENT'S BUT THEY TOOK OFF TO BASKETBALL AND AFTER HIGH SCHOOL THAT WAS THE END OF THEIR CAREER , WHEN AND IF THEY WOULD HAVE STAYED WITH BASEBALL AND PUT THE TIME AND EFFORT INTO IT LIKE THEY DID BASKETBALL THEY WOULD HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO PLAY IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES I THINK , BUT GOD KNOWS I LOVE BASKETBALL AS GOOD AS ANY HUMAN.:yesno:
I agree, I have seen baseball starters miss baseball activities to seat on the bench at basketball games.
If the school administrations don't build some fields, then Floyd Co will never have good, consistant teams.
IMO the talent level has dropped here in the past 5 years.
The Reason The Talent Level Has Droped Is We The People Here In Floyd County Have Let It , We Just About Don't Have A Little League Program Anymore , The Parents As Well As The School System Needs To Get More Active In Pushing Baseball Because We Have The Talent And Our Kids Could Get Alot Of Scholarships The Baseball , We Are Not Tall Enough For Alot Of Kids To Get Scholarships In Basketball , Which I Have Several Of My Boy's Go On To Get Baseball Scholarships And I'm Very Proud Of Them Two Of Them Come To My Mine All The Time And That Is Byran Hall And Joe Skeans To Of The Best Talents To Come Out Of Left Beaver Creek Little Just To Name A Couple.
"PantherFan" Wrote:If the school administrations don't build some fields, then Floyd Co will never have good, consistant teams.

I totally agree. AC has tried to get a field for a few years now, but Floyd Co. doesn't put much in to baseball, which is the best sport in the county. If the county would put money into baseball as they do football and basketball, then kids would stay with it, and you would see quality teams. Nonetheless, as you see it now.. it takes a great coaching job to have a decent team in Floyd County. I know BL has had some very good teams over the years as well. SF has had as much talent as anyone wasted. Pburg has some decent teams, but imagine how good they could be if they put half as much into baseball as they do football.
Floyd County baseball has really slipped over the years. In the 80's and early 90's, Betsy Layne, Prestonsburg, and Allen Central had very good players every year. But the lack of emphasis on baseball has about done them in. Allen Central is now decent....they look and dress like a team anyway. But the others have really gone down hill. South Floyd has never been a threat to anyone.
"PantherFan" Wrote:If the school administrations don't build some fields, then Floyd Co will never have good, consistant teams.

AMEN!!

Every child --in every sport --needs the same support from the administration of Floyd County Schools. AC, BL, SF, and P-burg are all using facilities which are county or city owned/maintained. They are sharing these with Junior and Senior League baseball teams. AC, SF and P-burg softball teams are sharing fields with Little League baseball teams and Little League softball teams. All student/athletes deserve better. Betsy Layne has their own softball field. The new and improved Drift Field for SFHS-- does anyone know if it will be ready. Practice starts in less than 2 weeks (2/15). The field at P-burg is so dry and sandy that the fire department has to come in and water the field down. The dust they stir up playing- is like a sandstorm.

It's time for the administration and the powers that be to support Floyd County student/athletes and help them to get the facilities they need and deserve.
Prestonsburg will have new fields on Stonecrest soon, but I don't think it will be by this season.
kentucky is not a state of baseball. kentucky is a basketball state. not many people in kentucky come out and support baseball like they do basketball.
"Thug_24" Wrote:kentucky is not a state of baseball. kentucky is a basketball state. not many people in kentucky come out and support baseball like they do basketball.

Have you ever been to a Lexington Legends game? Have you ever been to a Lexington Catholic game? Heck, have you ever been to a Pikeville High School game? They typically have quite a few fans at their games. It is not whether we are baseball or basketball state, but it is how much we put into it. You get out of something what you put into it. I love UK basketball as much as anyone, but I would absolutely love to see UK baseball in the college world series. Basketball is big - I agree. But how much bigger could baseball become if we put our time into it during the season. Basketball only last until March - well, April 1st counting the National championship. Even around the state, you see many high schools with great programs because they take care of their school. Baseball brings them money just like basketball. It also gives the kids something to do after basketball season, and the school something to support. Maybe I am a little bias, but I do believe schools - especially Floyd Co. - should put more into their programs.
Baseball doesn't bring in too much money in Floyd County. All 4 high school teams play at public parks- they can't charge admission. I don't think the concession stands are pulling in a lot of money.
Its the same way all over the state of Kentucky, like Knott County for example they but so much into basketball and football, its like they just push baseball to the side. Seeing this happen to young kids with tons of talent or even high school kids really makes someone with alot of love for the game (like me) really mad. What would if hurt to push baseball just a little more than they do, its not like a lot of kids get anywhere in basketball and football anyway.
I'd love to see the forgotten sport of High School baseball be revived.
i agree with this cline 2006 baseball does need to b pushed more than basketball and football
It will always be extremely tough for smaller schools to get the committment from baseball that they should. I have seen with my own eyes and experience this problem. Small schools athletes usually play multisports and they rarely choose baseball to the the sport they focus on year round.

I do think a good motivating coach, some success, and parent support will and can change the emphasis on the importance of baseball. I wish it would.
Sponge Bob Wrote:It will always be extremely tough for smaller schools to get the committment from baseball that they should. I have seen with my own eyes and experience this problem. Small schools athletes usually play multisports and they rarely choose baseball to the the sport they focus on year round.

I do think a good motivating coach, some success, and parent support will and can change the emphasis on the importance of baseball. I wish it would.
KCC's parents put everything they have into supporting their kids. We are usually the only fans in attendance to cheer them on. IMO the school doesn't support them much at all. Last season when they won the district championship all they got was a quick congratulations over the intercom. They didn't even have a pep rally when they played in the regionals. We rarely see any falculty supporting our team at the games. I can almost say never on that. Coach Hammonds dedicates his life to this team as do the players. They deserve some support and respect from their school and community. :Cheerlead
I think it is tough for baseball to be pushed here in East KY mainly because of the lack of competitiveness. You see schools in football and basketball win a few games down state and earn a little respect. It's gonna take more than a couple of schools for East KY schools to earn respect (as a whole). Pikeville, Paintsville, and Johnson Central have made a name for themselves, and after Allen Central won region in 2003, people thought they should get their own field then more than ever. The talent level has gone down a bit in the past 5 years, but still, you see kids with loads of potential throughout little league, but once they reach high school level, they seem to drift away from it and focus more on either basketball and football, because it is more popular and their name will be known better. We as parents, coaches, and fans need to continue to try and push the game we love and show kids that even if you are from this part of the state, you can still make it big by playing a game we all love.
I agree! I was one of the those kids (not those in particular) who stopped playing baseball to focus solely on basketball and I regret it to this day. I think all kids, if possible, should play all sports no matter what anybody says. At the high school I went to, the coaches didn't want their players playing other sports and they went as far as to say "if you play football, you won't play basketball for me." The kids would have so many more opportunities to excell in one sport or the other by playing them. I say, why not, if you're good enough, PLAY!! Why let it waste?
Baseball will become more popular in EKY when these ,so-called, basketball and football coaches stop telling kids that they need to worry about basketball or football. I've heard it. I heard one coach tell a great baseball player that he was more talented at basketball and quit worrying about baseball. He'll more likely get a scholly from basketball. Thank goodness this young man didn't listen, he's playing college ball. Baseball, that is. These coaches also tell kids that, "someday you'll play for UK." Good luck! That isn't going to happen unless you are 6' 8" and can shoot the lights out. All that most of these coaches are looking for is a record. And how great they were. These guys are really ignorant. Sure there are some good coaches out there. But these guys really care about the kids.

As for Knott County Central, I have dealt with the athletic director before in the past. If I'm not mistaken, he was a president for Knott's little league at one time. One of thier teams that his son played on came to play one of our teams and I spoke with him briefly. He's could careless about baseball and he was the president of the league?! I don't know about you, but sounds like this man shouldn't be an AD of anything. Good luck getting any support out this idiot KCC.
For the most part, I don't push my kids to "play" anything... they choose to play what ever sport that they play. I HAPPEN to LOVE baseball!! LOL..... Both of my children play and my oldest has played since he was 8 (9 according to little league rules by the birthdate). He is now a junior in high school and I have a younger child who has been running around bases since he was 3. He is now 11 years old and sometimes I think he bats in his sleep!!! I know each and every child that plays in our little league program here and I LOVE every minute of the time I spend at the baseball field (with the kids that is)..... I do think that academics should be any child and parents first priority and then let them excell in sports and run off some of that extra energy!!

To me sports is a wonderful balance to making a well rounded child. I say let em' play and keep em' outta trouble!!! Big Grin
but u wouldnt believe the talent that is in this area for baseball like cline 2006 said baseball is a sport were u dont have to be tall or extremly strong to go pro in
I heard a coach the other day, tell a baseball player who also plays football, if he didn't come to spring football practice instead of going to baseball practice, then he wouldn't allow the student to play in Fall.
Okay.... evidently it is a bigger school that doesn't need the player participation... I know at the school my child attends, most kids play BOTH!!! They shouldn't be made to choose which they prefer!!!
the_phenom3 Wrote:I heard a coach the other day, tell a baseball player who also plays football, if he didn't come to spring football practice instead of going to baseball practice, then he wouldn't allow the student to play in Fall.
That is the biggest bunch of BULLSH+T I have ever heard!
AMEN rebel mom!!!