Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How To Build Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am strong as i need to be i can hit hard as i need to but i am a little slow do u all have any thing to help me build speed
Honestly--you may want to head over to the "other" sports thread.

There is some good information in the "Ask The Coach" thread.

But to give you an easy answer--DOWN HILL RUNNING . . . . .

It will increase your turnover and reprogram your muscles to perform at a different lever. But seriously--check out the ask a coach thread .. . .
Downhill running is good, as is uphill running.

Stretching, running with a parachute, dot drills, form running, plyometrics??, and many other things help.

Find a routine and stick with it, then run (full speed) as much as you can.
Doing agility lifts probably helps the most, such things as lunges, step-ups. Doing lifts that focuses directly on the running form. Jump rope, ladders, dots, etc will help to. Unfortunately though speed is somewhat genetic, true speed anyways. You can work to get faster but unless you start at an early age you probably won't see dramatic changes, just more coordination.
thanx
A lot of coaches say "you can't teach speed" which is only somewhat true. Some people need to just learn the proper running technique , which is a big part of it. But as said earlier, true speed is genetic.
RayRay Wrote:A lot of coaches say "you can't teach speed" which is only somewhat true. Some people need to just learn the proper running technique , which is a big part of it. But as said earlier, true speed is genetic.

It is very hard to teach speed. As a track coach--I say nearly impossible. But you can teach proper technique (just as you say). Kids don't seem to under that you are only supposed to move your shoulders (too many kids move their elbows--which is a complete waste of motion/movement). They also tend swing their arms across their body (which actually fights the running movement).

High knee lift lets increase proper turnover--which is the true key to improving speed.
If your willing to pay the money and time, I recomend the Hit Center in Huntington. A lot of Prestonsburg players went there, and the ones that stuck it out, it helped them a lot.

I also know a couple kids that ran Stonecrest hill in Prestonsburg. It would be an awesome work out.
blackcat Wrote:If your willing to pay the money and time, I recomend the Hit Center in Huntington. A lot of Prestonsburg players went there, and the ones that stuck it out, it helped them a lot.

I also know a couple kids that ran Stonecrest hill in Prestonsburg. It would be an awesome work out.

I have heard great things about the Hit Center. (Doug Howard may have went there?)

In NKY, a lot of kids seem to try Tekulve Speed/Acceleration Training (which again--focuses on proper technique). I would be interested to see how the Hit Center presents their body of work.
I will say this--football players have miserable running form. (Especially after watching some of them run this afternoon).

This is something that can not be stressed enough--IF YOUR HIGH SCHOOL HAS A GOOD/GREAT TRACK PROGRAM--DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SIGN UP. A track coach is going to teach you proper technique--which will drastically improve your speed/quickness. You are also going to work muscle fibers that you are not used to working--which will result improved speed/agility/endurance.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:I have heard great things about the Hit Center. (Doug Howard may have went there?)

In NKY, a lot of kids seem to try Tekulve Speed/Acceleration Training (which again--focuses on proper technique). I would be interested to see how the Hit Center presents their body of work.

Doug Howard did go to the HIT Center and it helped him tremendously. He went from 4.6 40 to 4.5 to occasional 4.4 in 6 months. The 15-20 lbs he lost probably helped some too.

It would take me all day to explain the workouts, so the best thing to do would be go to one and watch one of their better trainers put a kid thru a workout. They are located in Huntington, WV, and Lexington/Louisville, KY thatI know of for sure. The head trainer at the one in Huntington had a kid brother that signed with WVU in 2004 out of Martinsburg, WV. I can't remember his name, but a really good guy.

I will say the technology of some of the machinery they use can't be simulated at home, but most of the stuff (agility drills, medicine ball training, form running) can be done on your own..........BUT most kids can't or won't push themselves the way the trainers at the HIT Center will.
The Machine Wrote:I am strong as i need to be i can hit hard as i need to but i am a little slow do u all have any thing to help me build speed

First off all, you can never be too strong. What is your parallel squat?
Agilities everyday along with running...everyone could be quicker
3 words...build stronger legs!!!
its the most important muscle in football and it helps with everything...
Dot Drill, Jump Rope. Sprints with parachute, Lower body workouts, Run Steps, Theres prob a ton of others out there but i seem to like these the best.
valley_06 Wrote:3 words...build stronger legs!!!
its the most important muscle in football and it helps with everything...

amen.
After I signed to play football, the college sent me a big workout schedule with tons of agility and speed drills. If you could take a visit to a college or get ahold of someone that plays college football, you could get their workout program as well