Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: AAU Ball in KY needs more Emphasis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It is very frustrating that Kentucky is one of the few States that doesn't understand how important AAU basketball is to a basketball players development. After living and coaching AAU basketball on the Georgia/South Carolina border for the past few years, I realize how truly behind we really are in Kentucky.... Why do we have this month in July that completely takes these kids away from their AAU teams? 20 years ago I understood the reasoning behind it, but know there is no purpose..... Basketball is Evolving and Kentucky needs to Evolve with it or continue to get left behind....
5 Star Elite Wrote:It is very frustrating that Kentucky is one of the few States that doesn't understand how important AAU basketball is to a basketball players development. After living and coaching AAU basketball on the Georgia/South Carolina border for the past few years, I realize how truly behind we really are in Kentucky.... Why do we have this month in July that completely takes these kids away from their AAU teams? 20 years ago I understood the reasoning behind it, but know there is no purpose..... Basketball is Evolving and Kentucky needs to Evolve with it or continue to get left behind....

What are you referring to? KY kids can and do play AAU and NCAA Certified Events in July.
AAU is where basketball players are made.
Kids need to play year round. Period. AAU, open gym, camps, whatever. AAU ball as a whole is ragged basketball. Just because it's AAU sanctioned doesn't make it better than other unsanctioned leagues or summer leagues. It all depends on the competition. The better players usually play AAU. However, there is a clear lack of fundamentals. AAU teams seem to play a ton of games, but spend very little time practicing fundamentals. IMO fundamentals have really gotten worse with the ever increasing popularity of AAU.
Nobody wants to put in the practice time anymore. Its just play, play, play. You dont become a better ball handler or a better free throw shooter by playing all the time. You need to drill, drill, drill. Theres several good young players from the Hazard area that play in a Mens League called the Dust Bowl in downtown Hazard during the summer. Braxton Beverly puts up 20 a game against College Players already in the Dust Bowl. He schooled the Hicks boy from Pikeville College last year.
AAU is destroying basketball.

I loved playing it, because it was not as serious as other programs take it and we got travel with friends and play.

But AAU is destroying basketball.
goodguy Wrote:What are you referring to? KY kids can and do play AAU and NCAA Certified Events in July.

Sorry I Misspoke; I meant June..... And not every AAU program disregards Fundamentals. Most actually emphasize the fundamentals especially in the younger age groups. Whoever said that all you need to do is drill, drill, drill is entirely wrong. I believe in always working on your fundamentals, but AAU provides a platform to put those "Drills" into play against significantly better talent then you will see during the High School Basketball season. If you want to know why so few kids from Eastern Kentucky get scholarships or significant playing time in Major or Mid Major College programs, all you have to do is look at their High School Basketball schedule. And also look at how few are playing AAU basketball, not MAYB, YBOA, or USSSA but AAU. (Nothing against the aforementioned programs, they are just not as competitive as AAU....)

The point I am trying to make is that AAU and and High School basketball should work together more because when it comes down to it, it is about doing what is best for these kids. Example: Do you think "Jimmy John" is gonna get more exposure and College looks averaging 20pts. and 6 rebs. a game for Pikeville High School or have the exact same stats playing for Indiana Elite One competing against the best talent in the Country. Georgia, South Carolina, Indiana, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and many more States realize this and work AAU to allow their kids to play during the "ENTIRE AAU SEASON". Why is Kentucky still stuck in the 80's???
Well the majority of the kids in Eastern Kentucky are small, slow, dont have much money, and the majority of the population is white. 6'3 and 6'4 centers are not what a lot of colleges are wanting, at least I dont think so. Not many 6'9 kids running around. There arent a lot of people that live in Eastern Kentucky either. I never said all you need to do is drill, drill, drill. You have to do drills in order to get better. Most of these kids cant afford to play AAU ball. Dang who can afford to go to Atlanta, Memphis, Vegas, and god only knows where every weekend? Some people have to work. I dont see Nike, Reebok, or Adidas beating down anyones door around here to offer a sponsorship. Not trying to be rude with some of the things I have said. I do see what you are saying 5starelite.
warmachine Wrote:Well the majority of the kids in Eastern Kentucky are small, slow, dont have much money, and the majority of the population is white. 6'3 and 6'4 centers are not what a lot of colleges are wanting, at least I dont think so. Not many 6'9 kids running around. There arent a lot of people that live in Eastern Kentucky either. I never said all you need to do is drill, drill, drill. You have to do drills in order to get better. Most of these kids cant afford to play AAU ball. Dang who can afford to go to Atlanta, Memphis, Vegas, and god only knows where every weekend? Some people have to work. I dont see Nike, Reebok, or Adidas beating down anyones door around here to offer a sponsorship. Not trying to be rude with some of the things I have said. I do see what you are saying 5starelite.

If High School basketball is so great, why are kids that are 6'3" and 6'4" only learning Center skills... That's a problem within itself. Most good AAU programs teach their kids regardless of size Guard skills...

Whoever said you need a Nike, Adidas, or Reebok sponsorship to travel? I have coached AAU several years now and have never needed a sponsorship from any of those entities. Just dedicated parents, committed players, and the support of the local community. All those places you named are not necessary they become Sophomores in High school and above for them to get exposure. Otherwise competing in Kentucky, Indiana, and North Carolina is more than enough. Also the more organizations in Kentucky that begin hosting AAU Super Regionals and Tournaments, the less local teams need to travel because those big teams like the Georgia Stars, Indiana Elite, Nashville Celtics, King James Shooting Stars, J-Smoove, Southern Kings, OBC, All Ohio, and others will come to us.

http://www.5StarEliteSports.com
I think Lack of Parent Support is the biggest problem in Eastern Kentucky. With gas $4 a gallon, I think your going to see less of AAU around these parts. Not that there is hardly any AAU here anyway. If a guy could use a Van to transport his players perhaps from local car dealerships around here, sponsorships to cover travel and lodging, and like you said some dedicated parents, there would be some good AAU teams in this area. And yeah, I am with you I think any kid should be handling the ball, no matter what his or her size is.
I think AAU is great. Its a great opportunity for individuals who have talent to display that talent with other good players. But where it is not advatangeous is for athletes who play two sports. Espcially football. To have a talented kid that plays basketball and who is equally talent on the field really disrupts the opportunites for that kid to particpate in lifting with their teammates, passing camps, and other activities. Also, when you have one kid who plays AAU and the rest of his teammates for his high school team doesn't play on an AAU team it really lowers the moral of that team. Because that one kids who plays AAU is disconnected from his teams at the school he plays for. They become selfish and have a poor attitude because a lot of times the coaches for AAU are not the best thing for them. They don't care about fundamentals they just let them play one on one most of the time.
5 Star Elite Wrote:Sorry I Misspoke; I meant June..... And not every AAU program disregards Fundamentals. Most actually emphasize the fundamentals especially in the younger age groups. Whoever said that all you need to do is drill, drill, drill is entirely wrong. I believe in always working on your fundamentals, but AAU provides a platform to put those "Drills" into play against significantly better talent then you will see during the High School Basketball season. If you want to know why so few kids from Eastern Kentucky get scholarships or significant playing time in Major or Mid Major College programs, all you have to do is look at their High School Basketball schedule. And also look at how few are playing AAU basketball, not MAYB, YBOA, or USSSA but AAU. (Nothing against the aforementioned programs, they are just not as competitive as AAU....)

The point I am trying to make is that AAU and and High School basketball should work together more because when it comes down to it, it is about doing what is best for these kids. Example: Do you think "Jimmy John" is gonna get more exposure and College looks averaging 20pts. and 6 rebs. a game for Pikeville High School or have the exact same stats playing for Indiana Elite One competing against the best talent in the Country. Georgia, South Carolina, Indiana, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and many more States realize this and work AAU to allow their kids to play during the "ENTIRE AAU SEASON". Why is Kentucky still stuck in the 80's???

June is the month that most states highschool teams can play summer ball as a school team, Ohio & KY are examples. There are not many quality basketball tournaments in June because of this. Also the college coaches can't come out and watch the kids play in June anyway. In KY the high school coaches can coach their team and play scrimmage games against other schools. The last week of June and the first week of July is the DEAD PERIOD, high school coaches can not have any contact with the players on their high school team.

Now for the real facts about "AAU" teams................

July is when the college coaches can come out and watch the kids play.
April and May the college coaches can't watch the kids, so they get info from the scouting services and pay so called "non associated" personnel to go out and scout players so they will know who to look at in July.

Most people call this AAU ball, but actually very few of the big tournaments are associated with AAU. They are NCAA Certified Events. These are the events that the college coaches attend. Typically you will see 150 - 200 college coaches at these events; from D3, NAIA, D2 & D1 schools. About the only AAU tournaments in July are the National Championship Tournaments. The rest are hosted by Adidas, Reebok, Nike and other non-AAU groups. At the end of July there are really only 2 places to play, Vegas (Adidas & Nike) or Orlando (AAU). This is where the college coaches are watching the U16 & U17 players. I bet there are 200-300 plus coaches at these two locations at the end of July. You won't see many JUCO coaches out at these events because 99% of the time if a player goes the JUCO route, it's because of their lack of meeting academic requirements at any other school.

The key to being seen, is to get on an actual "Elite" team and make it to the Gold bracket and go deep in the tournament. These so called "AAU" teams that don't go to the right tournaments and don't go deep into bracket play; other than playing ball, it's almost a waste of money and time. UNLESS, you are just a phenomenal player, and then you will only get seen if you are at the right tournaments.

Usually these "Elite" teams are made up of players from across an entire state or joining states. Very few "Elite" teams are from one geographic area unless it is a major metropolitan city. Money isn't an issue for the "Elite" teams, for example, All-Ohio (Nike sponsored), OBC (Adidas sponsored), D-One (Reebok sponsored), there are also several teams sponsored by current and retired NBA players, usually the only expense incurred by players and coaches on these teams are their meals. The organization pays for uniforms, shoes, warm-ups, transportation (ground & air), entry fees and hotels.

The only tournament in KY that actually gets college coaches in attendance is the Hoopfest in Louisville in July. Actually all others in KY are a waste of time and money. However, there is a pride issue when it comes to participating in the State AAU Championship tournament in Lexington.

Now, that's why the good teams travel outside of KY.
I agree with you for the most part, however, I think you are taking to narrow of a view. All kids are not only being recruited by Division 1 Schools, I know for fact that NCAA D 2 and 3 schools attend a lot of local events also NAIA coaches. Also, almost as important as the coaches seeing you is getting on the radar of the scouting services who attend all major tournaments. I agree not many if any major tournaments in Kentucky, but the State AAU events will have scouts there and these are important to qualify for the National AAU which, other than the invitation only camps and tournaments is the biggest opportunity to be seen by any kid in the country.

AAU is a fact of life, if a kids has talent he needs to play summer ball against the best competition to improve. Only playing locally and not pushing their talent is a only putting them behind the players that do improve, D1 prospects or not. And there is no good answer for the money issue, because it is expensive.

Also, I am not saying don't play locally, I am saying play both and as much and as often as you can.
Wow goodguy...I don't know if you meant it this way or not, but your post seems quite cynical to me. "The only tournament in KY that actually gets college coaches in attendance is the Hoopfest in Louisville in July. Actually all others in KY are a waste of time and money." You mention "waste of time" a couple of different times. If what you mean by waste of time is that UK or UNC or Duke aint gonna show up to any events here to recruit you if you are a potential 4 or 5 star player, then maybe you are right. However, I think its a little bit of a slap in the face to the THOUSANDS of kids here in KY who are NOT elite players who choose to play spring/summer basketball if only to try and improve, help their high school teams, and get the most out of whatever talent they may have.

I coach spring/summer ball with a group of kids who most have no chance whatsoever of going to the next level. Is it a waste of time for them to be playing? I don't think it is. We take our lumps for sure, but the kids learn to compete and what it means to play hard and step their game up.
AAU is about one thing....MONEY.Along with recruiting services you have alot of people getting rich across the US.
BigVMan23 Wrote:Wow goodguy...I don't know if you meant it this way or not, but your post seems quite cynical to me. "The only tournament in KY that actually gets college coaches in attendance is the Hoopfest in Louisville in July. Actually all others in KY are a waste of time and money." You mention "waste of time" a couple of different times. If what you mean by waste of time is that UK or UNC or Duke aint gonna show up to any events here to recruit you if you are a potential 4 or 5 star player, then maybe you are right. However, I think its a little bit of a slap in the face to the THOUSANDS of kids here in KY who are NOT elite players who choose to play spring/summer basketball if only to try and improve, help their high school teams, and get the most out of whatever talent they may have.

I coach spring/summer ball with a group of kids who most have no chance whatsoever of going to the next level. Is it a waste of time for them to be playing? I don't think it is. We take our lumps for sure, but the kids learn to compete and what it means to play hard and step their game up.

I'm not talking about the average kid out there playing just to enjoy the game with no aspirations to play a the next level when I made the post. I'm talking about the kids that are serious about playing at the next level and joining teams that have that same goal for their players.

I did state "other than playing ball" then it's a waste of money and time. I believe the kids need to be playing, but they also need to practice their basic basketball skills. However, any ball is better than no ball.

When a kid is playing at the U16 and U17 level, there is usually one goal the kid and parent has; that is to possibly attain a level of play that will give the player the opportunity to play at the next level. I agree that what I said is somewhat cynical, but what I posted is real when it comes to true elite teams.

Now for the thousands of kids that are just playing for the fun of it, and wanting to improve their basketball skills, playing in the local leagues and playing in the local tournaments is great. But, if their goal is to be seen at these tournaments; it's not going to happen. I did not mean to come across as belittling all the local teams that play locally, nor did I mean to offend anyone, and if I did, I apologize.
IndianFan15 Wrote:AAU is where basketball players are made.

Basketball players are made from hard work and practice....

AAU is killing the game, Players today don't care about who they play for, they have no pride and It's all because of AAU.....

But AAU is a good thing for getting players looked at, but AAU has made that more important then winning for your school and community....
ekff Wrote:Basketball players are made from hard work and practice....

AAU is killing the game, Players today don't care about who they play for, they have no pride and It's all because of AAU.....

But AAU is a good thing for getting players looked at, but AAU has made that more important then winning for your school and community....
:rockon:
ekff Wrote:Basketball players are made from hard work and practice....

I'm not sure I agree with all of this. At the older levels, I don't have much experience. But coaching in leagues like the Southwest Ohio league and playing in tournaments across the region up until players reached High School was the ONLY way for the kids in NKY to compete against the level of competition that they see in Louisville and Lexington. I have nothing negative to say after watching those players reach High School and never be intimidated by the competition. They played better competition in the Winter than they ever saw in School ball.

As for the selfishness, don't blame that on AAU, blame that on the coach for not reeling it in!
I don't know where to start. All are good points, and I can see what most mean. I coach both high school ball and an AAU program. High school basketball is a very rich tradition in Kentucky, more so than I believe in most other states.(ex. sweet 16, every Kentucky kids dream.) This is why for the June ordeal, which I like because I want to spend the month working with my high school team for the upcoming season. I also really enjoy Kentucky Elite AAU because I get to lead a group of young kids that have the talent as well as the work ethic to make it to the next level. These young men for the most part go 365 days a year and are pure gym rats. A lot of players on the high school team enjoy the game and want to compete but are not serious enough about it to try to play in college. The players on my AAU team are. Now I can't speak for every other AAU program out there, but as for us we run structured offenses and STRESS DEFENSE AND REBOUNDING MAJORILY. We will go anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours to play in a high profile tournament. Why? One so we can compete against the best and allow these young men to get seen by scouting services. It also allows the players that are serious about it to see how good players are that are in the same grade as them. You wouldn't believe the look and response on some the kids that go to a major event for the first time, it's not nothing what they imagined like back home in such and such county. Now for those that aren't to serious about the next level but want to play and compete at their high school there are gyms and tournaments in bowling green, knott county, lexington. All which are good. Now I also agree that aau ball can get unfundamental and sloppy at times, but truthfully so can high school ball. I believe it's all about balance. Spending that 1 to 2 hours a day in a gym by yourself working on your fundamentals, playing major or minor AAU ball, playing pick up ball against Better and/or Older,Stronger competition. AAU is the best way to get seen, I must say that. But you also got to have a good high school career as well. College coaches do like the travel ball circuit because ONE this is the only time they can actually come and watch them and TWO they want to see what the supposedly number 5 kid in the nation can do against the other top kids in the nation, because thats what college primarily is. But as I said I do both, Love both, and Respect both. Best of luck to every kid out there with a dream whether it be sports, academic, or whatever. In the end it's all about helping our youth.
^ You put a lot of thought into that post. Very well spoken, good job:Thumbs:
Just curious if anyone thinks that this demand for AAU by basketball coaches and such hurts multiple sport athletes like football players who are also wishing to play football for their school that practice in the summer as well. Does anyone think that sports today has put kids in a position to not be a kid anymore because of the focus on having to go 365?
I disagree with the original post. AAU may be good for "showcasing" talented players but I don't see any advantage in the development of kids through AAU teams. As a matter of fact I have seen some kids develop some horrible habits while playing for AAU teams. AAU is part of what is wrong with basketball and the college recruiting process.
rojas Wrote:I disagree with the original post. AAU may be good for "showcasing" talented players but I don't see any advantage in the development of kids through AAU teams. As a matter of fact I have seen some kids develop some horrible habits while playing for AAU teams. AAU is part of what is wrong with basketball and the college recruiting process.

Well I guess if the AAU talent that is coming out of Georgia, North/South Carolina, Florida, and many other States is a product of what is wrong, then we need to be wrong right along with them.... LOL! What you are referring to is the few AAU programs that you have witnessed locally doing it wrong. Don't let those be the example that you draw your inferences from.

And who is it that determines what is wrong or right with basketball??? Just because it's not the way things were done 30 -40 years ago doesn't make it wrong. It is called "EVOLVING" and Kentucky needs to get with the times. Why do you think that so few players from Kentucky can actually make it in Major D-1 programs and why do you think so many players from other states come to play in Kentucky? Because their stats typically increase playing against less talented teams then they see in their own states.... Also AAU provides a great platform for getting children between the ages of 6 and 11 the opportunity to practice fundamentals consistently and play competitively, Otherwise they would be left to the demise of their local Recreation Program and/or Boys and Girls Club with parent coaches that might or might not know a lot about the game.....
5 Star Elite Wrote:Well I guess if the AAU talent that is coming out of Georgia, North/South Carolina, Florida, and many other States is a product of what is wrong, then we need to be wrong right along with them.... LOL! What you are referring to is the few AAU programs that you have witnessed locally doing it wrong. Don't let those be the example that you draw your inferences from.

And who is it that determines what is wrong or right with basketball??? Just because it's not the way things were done 30 -40 years ago doesn't make it wrong. It is called "EVOLVING" and Kentucky needs to get with the times. Why do you think that so few players from Kentucky can actually make it in Major D-1 programs and why do you think so many players from other states come to play in Kentucky? Because their stats typically increase playing against less talented teams then they see in their own states.... Also AAU provides a great platform for getting children between the ages of 6 and 11 the opportunity to practice fundamentals consistently and play competitively, Otherwise they would be left to the demise of their local Recreation Program and/or Boys and Girls Club with parent coaches that might or might not know a lot about the game.....

From what I've seen, there's a lot parents who organize AAU teams and don't know what they're doing either. Nine times out of 10 it's usually a guy who never played that starts an AAU team too. You should need a license to coach like they make soccer coaches get. Any knucklehead can start a team, but that doesn't make him a coach.
Wideleft01 Wrote:From what I've seen, there's a lot parents who organize AAU teams and don't know what they're doing either. Nine times out of 10 it's usually a guy who never played that starts an AAU team too. You should need a license to coach like they make soccer coaches get. Any knucklehead can start a team, but that doesn't make him a coach.

Actually I am not so much against people who have never played becoming coaches for the younger age groups as long as they have had the opportunity to be Assistants for coaches who know what they're doing. And as long as they are mentored properly. Also that's what they have coaches clinics for.... I will agree with you that a lot of them don't make the best of coaches, but there are some out there that have become students of the game and their knowledge and coaching could rival many coaches who have grown up playing the game.
Wideleft01 Wrote:From what I've seen, there's a lot parents who organize AAU teams and don't know what they're doing either. Nine times out of 10 it's usually a guy who never played that starts an AAU team too. You should need a license to coach like they make soccer coaches get. Any knucklehead can start a team, but that doesn't make him a coach.

I would support all coaches having some type of certification. SWOL for baseball requires all coaches to complete the Doyle association training. I as a HS coach must complete annual training. For the younger age groups, having some type of training for coaches could be easy to incorporate. I'm not talking about needing 20 hours of training, but a simple certificate program that emphasizes practice plans, communication, safety and sportsmanship could be condensed into a simple on-line type training.

Maybe that is an opportunity for someone here to develop and then market.
I have mixed feelings about AAU Ball but more good than bad. I was fortunate enough to play AAU on a traveling team. We would meet in Louisville and practice on either Thursday or Friday evening. Then either Friday night or Saturday morning we got up and traveled sometimes in KY and sometimes to Georgia, Indiana and other states.
I think overall it helps develope my skills, knowledge and overall skills in the game because of the experience. Overall it helped and was a positive because as long as you have a baskteball in your hand you must be improving.
On the other hand the fundamentals are not being taught and this take away from players' fundamentals improvement which will hurt how the game is supose to be played. I have concluded that AAU play is not for fundamentals and teamwork but to showcase gathered talent and to give the players experiences that they may never experience if just playing high school basketball.
If KY had a good AAU program in this state it wouldn't take much for it to take off.
Stardust Wrote:I would support all coaches having some type of certification. SWOL for baseball requires all coaches to complete the Doyle association training. I as a HS coach must complete annual training. For the younger age groups, having some type of training for coaches could be easy to incorporate. I'm not talking about needing 20 hours of training, but a simple certificate program that emphasizes practice plans, communication, safety and sportsmanship could be condensed into a simple on-line type training.

Maybe that is an opportunity for someone here to develop and then market.

They have that now with AAU Basketball.... All registered coaches have to finish an online training to participate in AAU Sanctioned events.
5 Star Elite Wrote:They have that now with AAU Basketball.... All registered coaches have to finish an online training to participate in AAU Sanctioned events.

Isn't that online training for coaches to take to be able to coach in an NCAA Certified event? I've never heard of a test for AAU events. All you need to coach in an AAU event is the Coaches AAU Membership.
Pages: 1 2