Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: MLB Expanding to 12 Teams in Postseason beginning in 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MLB is more than likely going to Expand the postseason from 8 to 12 beginning in 2012.

Just seen it on Baseball Tonight
Watering it down more for the sake of additional television dollars.
Thought they were just considering moving to just 10 teams.
^ I thought the same thing but there not according to the Analyst on Baseball Tonight
I would be more for it if they would cut the reg. season down to 140 from 162 games. But they won't do that so I guess we better be ready for freezing cold baseball at Thanksgiving.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I would be more for it if they would cut the reg. season down to 140 from 162 games. But they won't do that so I guess we better be ready for freezing cold baseball at Thanksgiving.

Maybe Christmas!
Every other sport has done it, so I will cut them some slack.
I'm kind of neutral toward this. I see positives and negatives.
Well, winning a pennant isnt anything special anymore. Thats my problem with all this expansion. In 1993, the Giants won 103 games and didnt make the playoffs, because the (freakin) Braves won 104..I hate the playoff expansion. **** I wish it would go back to the division winners and leave it at that..
Why can every other sport have 16 teams, or 10 teams but when baseball moves past 8, we freak out? Their popularity is declining and they need/want TV viewers and butts in the seats.
LWC, I believe the reason baseball is declining, is because of a few reasons..again, these are just my opinions..
1- Whether anybody will admit it or not, people liked watching baseball during the steroid era much more than today. Ill be the first to admit, I was glued to the set every night in 1998 when McGwire and Sosa went at it during the most fun season Ive ever witnessed (still)..Yes, it was cheating, but it was much more fun watching 15 people crank 40+ homeruns every season than now, when one or two will win the HR crown with 37 or so..
2- Baseball flat sold out, because they tried to keep up with the NFL and the NBA. Baseball was special once because the only way you could make the playoffs was to win your division. Thats gone, and now with all this nonsense talk of expanding to 12, youll be able to win 84 games, finish 3rd in your division and compete for a title..Purists dont like it, and although I wouldnt exactly consider myself a purist, I liked the "win the pennant or go home" days much better..
3- Lets admit it, baseball right now, just isnt very good. The pitching isnt that good, the hitting isnt very good, the fundamentals have been long gone for awhile..
4- Why does everybody feel the need to build bigger and better (?) ball parks, instead of fixing the ones they have? The new parks all run nearly a billion dollars, which drives up ticket prices, food prices, and theres no wonder fans cant attend games anymore like they used to. $1200 for a seat behind home plate in Yankee Stadium? If Im not mistaken, seven or eight years ago, that seat was around $200. None of the ball parks have the mystique of the parks of old. Everything is "too" modernized. Dont get me wrong, Cincy has a beautiful park, but what was the first thing you thought of when you walked into the old one? The Big Red Machine.

I love baseball. I always have and I always will, no matter how cruel it has been to me the last 20 years. However, it is in need of a big change. I would love to see Bud Selig gone, for one.