Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 16th Region All-Area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats:
Chaney-Boyd Co, Burge- East Carter
Fraley- Boyd Co. Parsons- East Carter
Plybon- Boyd Co. Perry- West Carter
Farris- Ashland Henry- Morgan Co.
Gambill- Ashland Hamilton- Rowan Co.
Heaberlin- Ashland Alex- Fleming Co.
Day- Fairview Puente- Fleming Co.
Gross- Russell Mullins- Menifee Co.
Lacks- Raceland

Player of Year- Perry- West Carter
Coach of Year- Bradley Ashland
Congrats to this team.
Congrats to all who made it.
Taylor Frye and Savannah Anderson both with no mention? Both were deserving. It's a crime for neither to get it.
Congrats to all the girls! Just wondering how the All Area Team is voted on...do coaches nominate players or what? Some one please help me out here...thanks.
Head coaches select 15 players and one COY, and cannot vote for their own.
LClion4life Wrote:Taylor Frye and Savannah Anderson both with no mention? Both were deserving. It's a crime for neither to get it.

Some of the players listed was a big ? I know coaches cant vote for their own but do they nominate who they want from their team to be voted on? I know in softball I would love to have Taylor Frye what a catcher.
Coaches do not nominate kids for all area in basketball. Coaches select 15 players. They also cast 1 vote for player of the year and 1 vote for coach of the year. They cannot vote for their own players.
As far as I know, you do not nominate. Could be that some kids that had big games against certain schools could get that coaches vote, and other kids that played well against against a different school could get that vote. Rowan County had 4 kids as honorable mention so I have to assume they split votes.
HD28 Wrote:As far as I know, you do not nominate. Could be that some kids that had big games against certain schools could get that coaches vote, and other kids that played well against against a different school could get that vote. Rowan County had 4 kids as honorable mention so I have to assume they split votes.

No limit to the amount of players that can come from a single team so I don't se how the "split votes" scenario comes into play. I guess all the honorable mention players could say thay missed being chosen due to "split votes"

Congrats to all the players who made the team and also honorable mention. As with any "All-Star" team, there can always be debating as to who should or shouldn't have made the team. IMO, this team looks pretty accurate.
Skip Pass Wrote:No limit to the amount of players that can come from a single team so I don't se how the "split votes" scenario comes into play. I guess all the honorable mention players could say thay missed being chosen due to "split votes"

Congrats to all the players who made the team and also honorable mention. As with any "All-Star" team, there can always be debating as to who should or shouldn't have made the team. IMO, this team looks pretty accurate.

I don't think you understand what I mean. To have 4 kids on the team means that all 4 received votes, and probably a significant number. Rather than take a body of work from the season, many coaches vote on how particular kids played against them. So if a kid averaged 7ppg, but scored 18 pts against Team A, the coach of Team A probably votes for that player rather than a kid that averaged 12 ppg but only scored 4 against him. So I don't think your argument (I guess all the honorable mention players could say thay missed being chosen due to "split votes") holds water. And I'm not saying any kid deserved to be on there that is not there. But I do think its rare that a team has 5 players mentioned on this kind of team. That's all.
Cullop and Jones for the Kittens should have made it! Just my opinion.
Split votes are definitely a factor in certain cases.
HD28 Wrote:I don't think you understand what I mean. To have 4 kids on the team means that all 4 received votes, and probably a significant number. Rather than take a body of work from the season, many coaches vote on how particular kids played against them. So if a kid averaged 7ppg, but scored 18 pts against Team A, the coach of Team A probably votes for that player rather than a kid that averaged 12 ppg but only scored 4 against him. So I don't think your argument (I guess all the honorable mention players could say thay missed being chosen due to "split votes") holds water. And I'm not saying any kid deserved to be on there that is not there. But I do think its rare that a team has 5 players mentioned on this kind of team. That's all.

I understand what you mean, I just don't really agree with it. I think most coaches in the region are familiar with the entire body of work of the region's top players through scouting, newspaper articles, statistic leaders via the Daily Independenent, talking to other coaches, etc... Also according to your scenario, the reason a kid may have scored more than their season average against Coach A's team is that they didn't defensively key on her as much due to their scouting. For these reasons I don't believe that Coach A would be overly influenced by a player's one game statistics. Nothing against Rowan's players - they have some talented athletes and should be a factor in next years regional race again.

I personally think this all-area listing is pretty accurate. I don't think I could make a good arguement to replace any ofthe players that made the team.
Quote:I think most coaches in the region are familiar with the entire body of work of the region's top players through scouting, newspaper articles, statistic leaders via the Daily Independenent, talking to other coaches, etc... Also according to your scenario, the reason a kid may have scored more than their season average against Coach A's team is that they didn't defensively key on her as much due to their scouting. For these reasons I don't believe that Coach A would be overly influenced by a player's one game statistics.

I wish the coaches in the 13th region did this. Coaches who dont take the time to look at a seasons worth of work before voting for or not voting for a player is disheartening. I have seen players voted on All-Region, All-Conf., All-District teams on what some coaches say is potential. I disagree with that kind of vote. If player A is leading your team in most off/def categories and they dont have a particularly good game against you, it is your responsibility as a coach to see how this kid has faired against other teams. Your top players will be selected pretty much dead on, it is those "fringe" players who get slighted sometimes.

Just my 2c worth.
Skip Pass Wrote:I understand what you mean, I just don't really agree with it. I think most coaches in the region are familiar with the entire body of work of the region's top players through scouting, newspaper articles, statistic leaders via the Daily Independenent, talking to other coaches, etc... Also according to your scenario, the reason a kid may have scored more than their season average against Coach A's team is that they didn't defensively key on her as much due to their scouting. For these reasons I don't believe that Coach A would be overly influenced by a player's one game statistics. Nothing against Rowan's players - they have some talented athletes and should be a factor in next years regional race again.

I personally think this all-area listing is pretty accurate. I don't think I could make a good arguement to replace any ofthe players that made the team.

Perfect illustration of my point. Teams west of Olive Hill and east of Lexington don't get much newspaper coverage. And, many teams from the Ashland/Greenup area don't like to go to Menifee, Bath, Fleming or Rowan County. Therefore, their "information" typically comes from other coaches. Menifee County had a 6'0 kid that could start for most teams in the 16th. She got no votes. We can agree to disagree!
She quit this years team. Great catcher! Hope she returns next season!