Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County 3 Middlesboro 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from HC.

Aaron Johnson throws the complete game for the Bears.
Good win for the Bears.........GO HC :Clap:
Another good game to watch. Very evenly matched teams and both young. Congrats Bears.

I have a question about the district now. These teams split and the tie breaker (run total) is the same at 7 . What is the next tie breaker?
I was wondering the same thing. But, according to KHSAA and their district seeding plans, it looks pretty clear that based on their agreement, the winner of the first game gets the nod. So, Middlesboro wins the tie-breaker over Harlan County.

http://www.khsaa.org/baseball/districtse...rict52.pdf

For what it's worth, I heard that those umpires were a joke.
The call that was in question was called against HC at Middlesboro as well. The strike zone was questionable at times and that was on both sides. The difference is that Middlesboro is use to playing on a small field and their pop ups was not homeruns, both teams played well in the field. In my opionion if these teams played 10 times they would split 5-5 that much even. Good luck to both teams.
Actually, at Middlesboro, the ball bounced up and hit the Harlan County OUTSIDE of the batters box which is an automatic out and was called that way immediately by the home plate umpire.

At Harlan County, the Middlesboro batter never left the box before the ball bounced up and hit him so it was a foul ball. That was also the original call made by the home plate umpire. Then Lewis went out and argued and he changed his mind, based on the sole argument of Lewis.

Point is, those umpires were out of their league and had no business in a game of that magnitude.

Regardless, Middlesboro will get the top seed.
bigguy989 Wrote:The call that was in question was called against HC at Middlesboro as well. The strike zone was questionable at times and that was on both sides. The difference is that Middlesboro is use to playing on a small field and their pop ups was not homeruns, both teams played well in the field. In my opionion if these teams played 10 times they would split 5-5 that much even. Good luck to both teams.

Really? Both of the homeruns hit at Middlesboro were hit to a deep right field, not the short left field that everyone argues about. And I assure you, neither one were popups.

Luckily, HC will probably throw Boggs against Middlesboro in the district championship who is probably a combined 0-6 against MHS.
Did Coach Powell get tossed from the game? Will he have to sit out tonights game, if he did?
I remember when I was in Little League and lost a game and told my Grandma that we got cheated. She told me, "I got cheated at everything I ever lost." I got the message and never told her that again. It always stuck in my mind. Funny how when a team gets beat, someone cheated them, the ref/ump sucked, the field was too short, clock keeper messed up. We hear everything except, "Hey, good job, you outplayed us today, but I will work hard so it doesn't happen again."
During the game, he was told he was confined to dugout.

If he were ejected, he would have to serve a 2 game suspension.
Yogibear Wrote:I remember when I was in Little League and lost a game and told my Grandma that we got cheated. She told me, "I got cheated at everything I ever lost." I got the message and never told her that again. It always stuck in my mind. Funny how when a team gets beat, someone cheated them, the ref/ump sucked, the field was too short, clock keeper messed up. We hear everything except, "Hey, good job, you outplayed us today, but I will work hard so it doesn't happen again."
Kids don't lose anymore. It's either the officials are the coaches. Boy how times have changed.
Before you post this KHSAA paper on here, how about you ask Coach Powell just to be sure about the seeding?
I actually haven't seen anyone make a comment about a coaching decision or umpire decision deciding the outcome of the game. I do see a discussion about a call made during the game but not a single person has said it cost a team the game, just that it was a bad call.
MHS you say in one post you heard the umpires were a joke and then in your next post you speak as if you saw the play in question. If you were not there you cannot say if the call was right or not. Listening to someone else can get you in trouble. Knowing if they are out of their league or not is only someone's opinion. I am sure the assigning secretary was confident in who he sent. Not many people are willing to put the uniform on and be subjected to the abuse they are put through.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Actually, at Middlesboro, the ball bounced up and hit the Harlan County OUTSIDE of the batters box which is an automatic out and was called that way immediately by the home plate umpire.

At Harlan County, the Middlesboro batter never left the box before the ball bounced up and hit him so it was a foul ball. That was also the original call made by the home plate umpire. Then Lewis went out and argued and he changed his mind, based on the sole argument of Lewis.

Point is, those umpires were out of their league and had no business in a game of that magnitude.

Regardless, Middlesboro will get the top seed.

In both cases the bunted ball hit the bat a second time. When the batter is still in the box when this happens, it's treated as simply a foul ball. If the batter is out of the box and the bat is over fair territory when the second hit occurs, the batter would be out. In Middlesboro, the umpire came out of the box quickly and made the call. I think last night the plate umpire needed help from his partner determine that the ball hit the bat the second time............
Coach was ejected. He was not told during the game but it was sent to KHSAA. He will be out the next two games. Never heard of an ump writing up an dugout confinment as an ejection. This ump did that.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Really? Both of the homeruns hit at Middlesboro were hit to a deep right field, not the short left field that everyone argues about. And I assure you, neither one were popups.

Luckily, HC will probably throw Boggs against Middlesboro in the district championship who is probably a combined 0-6 against MHS.

Hard hit balls yes. Home Runs most places no. They weren't pop up or routine plays, but at HC I highly doubt either would be home runs or many other places for that matter.

Secondly, I guess your just counting out that game in district tournament when Boggs was an 8th grader and made the Jackets look pretty suspect for 3-4 innings in relief huh?

I wouldn't say that you are lucky to have to face the kid twice in a season. Just because you have beat him a few times doesn't mean the kid isn't one of the top pitchers in the 13th region. Granted that HC/Boro don't slip up in districts.
If HC/Mboro slip up in this district... should be season over. Head and shoulders above the other two teams.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I actually haven't seen anyone make a comment about a coaching decision or umpire decision deciding the outcome of the game. I do see a discussion about a call made during the game but not a single person has said it cost a team the game, just that it was a bad call.

So, there were no implications of that when you said the umps were a joke?
Shelby1 Wrote:If HC/Mboro slip up in this district... should be season over. Head and shoulders above the other two teams.

True that. I just try to not get overconfident and not take stuff for granted lol.
I agree with you big time though.
Yogibear Wrote:So, there were no implications of that when you said the umps were a joke?

Of course there were implications. I was implying that it was a poorly officiated ballgame which is a shame considering the magnitude of this matchup.

In regards to facing Boggs again, I honestly think he has lost a bit since last year. He doesn't throw his fastball as hard and his curveball looks flatter. Also, with him on the mound, someone else is catching. If I remember correctly, Middlesboro stole several bases against them this past Monday when Boggs was on the mound.
Yogibear Wrote:I remember when I was in Little League and lost a game and told my Grandma that we got cheated. She told me, "I got cheated at everything I ever lost." I got the message and never told her that again. It always stuck in my mind. Funny how when a team gets beat, someone cheated them, the ref/ump sucked, the field was too short, clock keeper messed up. We hear everything except, "Hey, good job, you outplayed us today, but I will work hard so it doesn't happen again."
:Thumbs:
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I was wondering the same thing. But, according to KHSAA and their district seeding plans, it looks pretty clear that based on their agreement, the winner of the first game gets the nod. So, Middlesboro wins the tie-breaker over Harlan County.

http://www.khsaa.org/baseball/districtse...rict52.pdf

For what it's worth, I heard that those umpires were a joke.

Sounds to me that it was you whining about the umps and you were not even there. I guess if the 'boro loses it is the umps fault.

It also seems that you are the only one that believes that your field is not too short.
I don't think it was the umps fault for the loss....however when you come out of a game and bothsides are talking about the umps and not the game, something is wrong. Umps should not be the focus. They brought the attention to themselves. These were not the umps assigned to the game. They were not call about the game until M'boro was on the way. They just found them late.....and I agree that a game of this magnitude should have been the best..... weather at M'boro or HC.
Now I personally am tired of hearing about fields. We all would have excellent fields if we had the money. If half of you had to do what these baseball coaches had to do to fields you would quit. These coaches work their butts off and we get on here and down grade their fields. Trust me, play on some when I as a parent played. You remember when we were in the corner of the endzone of the football field. Left field was about 290 and right was 600 feet. I think we all have come a long way.
Shelby1 Wrote:I don't think it was the umps fault for the loss....however when you come out of a game and bothsides are talking about the umps and not the game, something is wrong. Umps should not be the focus. They brought the attention to themselves. These were not the umps assigned to the game. They were not call about the game until M'boro was on the way. They just found them late.....and I agree that a game of this magnitude should have been the best..... weather at M'boro or HC.
Now I personally am tired of hearing about fields. We all would have excellent fields if we had the money. If half of you had to do what these baseball coaches had to do to fields you would quit. These coaches work their butts off and we get on here and down grade their fields. Trust me, play on some when I as a parent played. You remember when we were in the corner of the endzone of the football field. Left field was about 290 and right was 600 feet. I think we all have come a long way.

Great post shelby..........Everybody has to play the hand they are dealt. HC doesn't like having to play at the old Cawood field, but it might as well be Great America Ballpark compared to the old Evarts field. Harlan County has a new facility under construction as we speak. We were hoping to be on it this season but the tough winter really took its toll on construction. It will be one of the nicest in the region........
Easy now talking about Evarts fields.

Seriously, the new facilities will be nice when they are finally finished.
The strange this is the Evarts field is newer than both Cawood and Cumberland.