Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Sport offered by the KHSAA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a press release by the KHSAA. Thoughts?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: APRIL 11, 2011
THRESHOLD FOR NEW SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS REVISED
The KHSAA Board of Control voted to revise the threshold from 20 percent to 10 percent the participation of
schools required for the KHSAA to sponsor a sports championship at its regular meeting on Monday. The
Association’s triennial survey is being distributed and a new threshold of 10 percent could open the door for the
addition of more sports, including archery, lacrosse and bass fishing in the coming years.
“By lowering the number of schools required to sponsor a championship sport we think it might actually encourage
more schools to offer a sport and grow that sport at a faster pace than it otherwise might do,” said KHSAA
Commissioner Julian Tackett. “Any time we can pick up a new group of student-athletes who can compete at the
sport they love, while giving them structure and a reason to excel in the classroom with their academic progress
monitored, there is really no downside to it.”
The Board has already approved bowling as a championship sport for the 2011-12 school year after survey results
indicated more than 80 schools plan to offer the sport next year, with another 45 vowing to offer the sport within
five years. Bowling, a winter sport, will begin practice on Oct. 15 and will hold regional tournaments the week of
March 11-17, 2012, with the state tournament scheduled for March 23-24, 2012.
That is a good idea.
There are a lot of college's around here that have bowling teams.
cool, wished they woulda had this when I was in highschool Sad
I wonder how long until kids are playing Quidditch in high school?

Several colleges now have Quidditch club teams.
I was on a college bowling team, and a very good friend of mine coaches the men and womens team at Union College. At first I laughed when he tried to get me to try out, but then when the coach told me I could get $2000 extra dollars for school and not do any work-study (KNOWING that I was terrible) I was all in.

Imagine the money that they can give good bowlers! I got that deal and never bowled in a single tournament! For something people grow up doing with Youth groups or just a group of friends on a Thursday night.

I remember one guy that I personally know, (he showed me his school account information online, because I wouldn't believe him, lol) recieved $15,000 TO BOWL!!!! Insanely awesome!
Fleming County has bowling team. And I believe Mason County does too. But that's the only schools I know of around here that have them.
We have a new rec center being built in Letcher Co. Will have a bowling alley in there.
Bass fishing would be awesome.
LWC Wrote:I was on a college bowling team, and a very good friend of mine coaches the men and womens team at Union College. At first I laughed when he tried to get me to try out, but then when the coach told me I could get $2000 extra dollars for school and not do any work-study (KNOWING that I was terrible) I was all in.

Imagine the money that they can give good bowlers! I got that deal and never bowled in a single tournament! For something people grow up doing with Youth groups or just a group of friends on a Thursday night.

I remember one guy that I personally know, (he showed me his school account information online, because I wouldn't believe him, lol) recieved $15,000 TO BOWL!!!! Insanely awesome!

That's the way it is.
For all of you parents out there....
If you have a boy I would get him on a bowling team pretty quick.
If they work on it they could get a good scholarship somewhere.

If you have a girl.....
FORCE THEM TO PLAY GOLF!
I know some girls that had full rides in college that were absolutely awful at golf, but the pool of talent is so thin they don't have a choice.
The Private Wrote:Bass fishing would be awesome.

Your my kinda person!:notworthy
Would love Lacross being in the mountains. With all the turf fields we have added it would make it easy for them to get the sport rolling.