Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Umpires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am curious to know, after umpires complete their online test and take their class, and I am under the assumption they take some training at the begining of every season; does anyone come to the games and monitor how they are doing? Because it seems to me like just any old cat can become an umpire around here and once they do; just kinda go with it and try to make up their own rules.

-----Should officials go around unannounced and monitor how the "blues" are doing. (if they dont already).

If coaches can be fined, I think the least they could do it chart umpired every now and then and place suspensions/fines on them not for the average missed call but for having strikezones 4x 6 feet wide etc. I know coaches can report the umps but what is actually done? Sorry I typed so much I just feel strongly about this in the 15th region area and I admittedly dont know much about the Umpiring system.
Umpires are evaluated.

1. At the conclusion of each game, an assessment form is provided to the head coach of each team. It is up to the teams to complete this assessment.

2. KHSAA requires that all umpiring associations provide on-site evaluations of umpires.

3. Finally, coaches have options to nix up to five umpires. This means, these umpires will not be assigned to that teams games for that season (Home or Away).

All of this goes into the evaluation process. These evaluations and scores for the umpire dictates whether they do tournament games. Umpires who do the state tournament are the 32 top rated umpires in the state of Kentucky.

The evaluation process makes it too easy for coaches to report umpires who either do a poor job or do not know the rules. If it is based on judgment, then it makes it very difficult to do anything about. But if it is a misinterpretation of the rules, that is easily corrected and in most cases is pro-testable. If a coach does not protest based on a blatant misinterpretation of the rules, then it is the coach who does not know the rules.
Thanks for the info,
I think I speak for everyone and just about everyone will agree that the 15th region has horrible and very unconsistent umpires, there are a couple good umpires but the bad ones cancel it out, its almost like anyone can become an umpire now.
doomsday Wrote:Thanks for the info,
I think I speak for everyone and just about everyone will agree that the 15th region has horrible and very unconsistent umpires, there are a couple good umpires but the bad ones cancel it out, its almost like anyone can become an umpire now.

Well, that's true. let me ask you this, Are you willing to umpire? There is a shortage of umpires because no one wants to do it. Every single region across the state is begging for individuals to umpire. Thus as the old adage goes, if you can do better, then sign your name to it. Thus, I would agree, there are umpires that are not qualified at the level they are umpiring, however, there is no one else to do it. It is a thankless job and is NOT worth the money that they get paid to be constantly criticized and chastised. Even the BEST umpires have one team at the end of the game that say the blew it! That has now affected numbers.

The younger generation has grown up with so little respect for umpires because of parent and coach criticism, they have made the decision that there is no way they are going to get into the profession. Thus, the only ones who are signing up now are those who are desparate for a paycheck, not because they want or are qualified, to do the job.

Thus, if we want better umpires, then maybe we should go register and do it ourselves, because trust me, the job availability is out there.
Great post Dusty!
^ Thank you partner. I have a tough time with the umpires and their level of experience and understanding of the rules. However, the numbers are dropping to the point where I feel lucky that games are not getting canceled due to lack of umpires that can cover the games. We are actually getting asked each year from the director of the umpires association to please be patient with the umpires, because they are not coming back.

I, as a coach want the very best, but understanding the challenges, I have some level of tolerance. It is so easy to lay blame on the man in blue, but the reality of it is that they truly control so little of the outcome. Granted, strike zones are terrible, but when they are bad, it's bad both ways. As for the number of times that an umpire blows a call or misinterprets the rule, is so low that it has yet to influence the outcome. I hear it from the stands all the time about how terrible the umpires are. They are the same people who are complaining about the coaches as well Smile

I welcome any of those who know more and can do a better job than the umpires that they see, to sign themselves up for an umpire certification and take all of there know how out onto the diamond. And when they do, I promise them that they bleacher creatures on one side of the field will say the suck!
Stardust Wrote:The younger generation has grown up with so little respect for umpires because of parent and coach criticism, they have made the decision that there is no way they are going to get into the profession. Thus, the only ones who are signing up now are those who are desparate for a paycheck, not because they want or are qualified, to do the job.

This couldn't have been any better said... not only have they made the decision to not go into the profession, they have already made the decision that the umps/refs are bad before the game starts.
I umpire both high school and college baseball and I have heard it say a thousand times, THEY cost us the game, not the 5 errors or the 9 walks that we had, but THEY cost us the game.. And Dusty makes a great call, it's the total lack of respect by parents, coaches and other fans that causes umpires not to want to do the job, it's a thankless job and with gas prices going up as much as they are going, it's costing umpires more money in gas than what the schools are willing to pay for umpires.

I know in our region, we have several evaluators that will just show up unannounced and evaluate the umpires on their mechanics, their hand signals and their communication in the field. They also provide all head coaches from Varsity to Freshman level with forms and asks those coaches to evaluate each and every umpire that has worked their games and those evals from the coaches and from the evaluators in the field is what determines if you as an umpire get to work any of the post season...I don't umpire for the money, I do it for the enjoyment of the game and it's a wonderful hobby for me to get out and be around young people..
^ I respect you tremendously partner. Great post. I am so happy that you added what I missed in my post. You and those who do umpire do it for the passion of the game and to give back to what you were privileged to have as part of your life when you were younger. It is absolutely not done for the money. I, being in the HS and Summer coaching ranks can be the adversary, but it's all part of the game. I have not failed, whether win or lose, or even stewing over a call that did not go my way (not that it was a wrong call), have I ever not been respectful to the umpires who have done my games.

Navajo4life, I hope I have the honor of you facilitating one of my games some day.
Navajo4life or Stardust, I'm just out of college and wanting to try to get involve into the game, I was wondering if you could give me any info on where to become certified to become an umpire?
During the rain game this Past Saturday. I had the opportunity to chat with the Umps. I did challenge the plate umpire. As I explained, I was standing down the right field line and was quite sure that my angle must have been better than his from behind the plate. As I disagreed with his inside and outside calling of the plate. He very politely agreed that maybe he should stand down by me to get a better view of the plate. So see there, Umps do listen to fans who have the ability to call strikes from 180 ft. away. What a shame the game was rained out and he never got the opportunity to view the game from my point of view. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I was giving him free hamburgers.
baseballfan Wrote:Navajo4life or Stardust, I'm just out of college and wanting to try to get involve into the game, I was wondering if you could give me any info on where to become certified to become an umpire?

Sit in the bleachers, it seems to make anyone who sits there certifiedConfusedhh:

Seriously, start off with your local youth league. Not knowing what area you are from, seek out the local Knothole or Little-League that is in your area. The training is usually cheap, sometimes free. You get to work games for "FUN". And see if this is something you really want to do before you make the investment to get fully into High School, That would be my biggest recommendation. I see too often, guys get into it and find that it really is not what they thought it would be, then the bail out with a BAD taste in their mouth. Do it at the ages that is most fun, make a little money, and test the waters.

Otherwise, you have smartypants like dd734 inviting you into the bleachers for the view that they have:biggrin:
duplicate
In our local Little League we used college players to umpire, one particular year we had a bunch of whining coaches who knew little about the game. Always on the umps and complaining to the Board. So when college finals rolled around we made a schedule for each coach to umpire two games that week, one behind the plate and another in the field. If they did not umpire they were fired as coaches. Guess what they were horrible and realized how bad they had acted once they wore the hat. Needless to say they were very appreciative of having qualified umpires after they dealt with each other as umpires. One in particular did a game behind the plate and he stood 4 ft. behind the catcher as he was scared to death. Guess what, we never heard another complaint about our umpires after that week.

LOL
Baseballfan, if you are wanting to get into the umpiring profession, then start at your local youth league, babe ruth league or little league, then if you feel like you can do the job,then you can apply at KHSAA.org and there is a link where you can inquire about becoming a high school umpire. whereever you live, there should be links on there that direct you to the local assigning secretary for your region... It's a great way to give back to the game that was very good to so many of us and it's a great way to earn some extra money right out of college.
Stardust Wrote:Sit in the bleachers, it seems to make anyone who sits there certifiedConfusedhh:

Seriously, start off with your local youth league. Not knowing what area you are from, seek out the local Knothole or Little-League that is in your area. The training is usually cheap, sometimes free. You get to work games for "FUN". And see if this is something you really want to do before you make the investment to get fully into High School, That would be my biggest recommendation. I see too often, guys get into it and find that it really is not what they thought it would be, then the bail out with a BAD taste in their mouth. Do it at the ages that is most fun, make a little money, and test the waters.

Otherwise, you have smartypants like dd734 inviting you into the bleachers for the view that they have:biggrin:
I have umpired some games up this way for Little League and it is a pretty good set up. We got 50 a night and for the most part it was fun. You had a few coaches that try to act like you are favoring one team, when I have no idea who any of those kids are haha.
Commanche Wrote:In our local Little League we used college players to umpire, one particular year we had a bunch of whining coaches who knew little about the game. Always on the umps and complaining to the Board. So when college finals rolled around we made a schedule for each coach to umpire two games that week, one behind the plate and another in the field. If they did not umpire they were fired as coaches. Guess what they were horrible and realized how bad they had acted once they wore the hat. Needless to say they were very appreciative of having qualified umpires after they dealt with each other as umpires. One in particular did a game behind the plate and he stood 4 ft. behind the catcher as he was scared to death. Guess what, we never heard another complaint about our umpires after that week.

LOL
Sounds like a great plan haha. Once I had umpired and reffed some games in all 3 sports, I grew to understand a lot more that it is not an easy job. I'm not sure when you last coached, but when i just started working for the Big Sandy League, a couple of college guys that were great baseball guys and good umpires on that level were treated pitifully. Those guys showed up very early to make sure the fields looked good, they took the job seriously, and helped get me into it. But some coach took it to far and threaten one of them, and when the League President was informed nothing was done about it, and he rightfully did not return to work the next year. Our area lost a couple of great guys in that program.
I have found out from my experiences nobody, and I am referring to coaches and spectators , that noone wants a fair calles contest. It has to be in their favor or you have ripped them off. It is very hard for an official to go right down thwe middle because neither team wants it that way. Good officials have a hard time because they cannot please everyone. If a call goes against your team you are nothing but a crook. Coaches and spectators should have to take a rules test to be allowed around a game. Just a few simple questions and one would figure out they don't know the rules as well as they think they do. Most coaches and fans have never seen a rule book it is just something they have always heard or someone told them. Learn the rules before you start arguing. After you learn them then get licensed and try it. I am sure you will find out it is not all that easy.
Stardust Wrote:Sit in the bleachers, it seems to make anyone who sits there certifiedConfusedhh:

I personally wouldn't recommend going to your local Little League for any kind of training. I know that most of the Leagues around my area have umpire assigners who have little to ZERO umpire experience themselves and are in no way capable of instruction. It really all depends on your area. I know that my high school assigner now assigns middle school games as well for the younger new umpires looking for a start. I personally would recommend you register with the state, take your test, and join a local association. That is where you will recieve the proper training for the proper level. New umpires in my area start at the middle school level and work themselves up to the varsity level. How fast is determined by the individual. I personall think( in my area of course) that starting at Little League is a mistake if you are looking to umpire high school or beyond. You don't get the proper training that you need and not to mention the parents who push new umpires out of the game but thats a whole other threads in itself. Now, it's ok to umpire Little League but I would advise you to join an association as well and that way you will get everything that a new umpire needs starting out.
UKCAT5FAN Wrote:I personally wouldn't recommend going to your local Little League for any kind of training. I know that most of the Leagues around my area have umpire assigners who have little to ZERO umpire experience themselves and are in no way capable of instruction. It really all depends on your area. I know that my high school assigner now assigns middle school games as well for the younger new umpires looking for a start. I personally would recommend you register with the state, take your test, and join a local association. That is where you will recieve the proper training for the proper level. New umpires in my area start at the middle school level and work themselves up to the varsity level. How fast is determined by the individual. I personall think( in my area of course) that starting at Little League is a mistake if you are looking to umpire high school or beyond. You don't get the proper training that you need and not to mention the parents who push new umpires out of the game but thats a whole other threads in itself. Now, it's ok to umpire Little League but I would advise you to join an association as well and that way you will get everything that a new umpire needs starting out.

You completely missed the point. This is someone who has never done it before. Try out the local little leage to see if it is even something you want to do. More than 75% of first year umpires never come back! In most cases it's because it's not what they thought it would be.
It's a shame the ones we had last night were not in that 75% that gave it up. Especially the guy in field. I know a statement likes this brings out experts to tell me how much I don't know. So if you feel the need, just jump right in. That was as poor a job of officiating I have seen on a high school field in I can't remember when.
Who are the top 5 umps in 15th region