Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mutka: More Butlers, fewer scandals (Calipari)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Not completely true. Mediocre coaches do not get to the Final Four by running a tight ship but well coached teams (like Butler) seem to be able to do it. I was never a fan of Joe Hall's style of basketball but I always respected his coaching ability and his willingness to discipline players for breaking rules no matter who the 'Cats' next opponent was.

Bobby Knight was an idiot, but his program was the cleanest in sports. Can't someone be a great coach but a clean one without also being a nut-case?
Stardust Wrote:Bobby Knight was an idiot, but his program was the cleanest in sports. Can't someone be a great coach but a clean one without also being a nut-case?

Bob knight was a mediocre coach and a great recruiter. Once the recruits stopped coming late in his years because he PHYSICALLY abused his players the wins stopped with it. He won with great talent and nothing else. This sounds familiar. We saw what happened to him at Texas Tech. Great coaches recruit top talent. recruiting is the most important job in college sports.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Bob knight was a mediocre coach and a great recruiter. Once the recruits stopped coming late in his years because he PHYSICALLY abused his players the wins stopped with it. He won with great talent and nothing else. This sounds familiar. We saw what happened to him at Texas Tech.
I despise Bobby Knight but the man got more out of his players than he deserved at Indiana. At one time, he was a good recruiter, but he managed to chase off a lot of good players and was left with sub-par talent in his later years. He still managed to post pretty good records with below average Big 10 talent and his players graduated with a good fundamental understanding of how the game was meant to be played. More importantly, most of Knight's players attended class and did graduate.
Stardust Wrote:The problem is, coaches do not make final fours if you take discipline action against players who do not abide by the rules. But you do get Final Fours taken away from you.

Huggy has had to sit three players the past two years. Last year he sit Ebanks for the first part of the season. Rumor had it at the time that Ebanks quit going to class. This year, he bounced Noah Cottrell from the team and benched Casey Mitchell twice. I have heard Huggy say many times "these kids are going to do it my way, not their way."
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I despise Bobby Knight but the man got more out of his players than he deserved at Indiana. At one time, he was a good recruiter, but he managed to chase off a lot of good players and was left with sub-par talent in his later years. He still managed to post pretty good records with below average Big 10 talent and his players graduated with a good fundamental understanding of how the game was meant to be played. More importantly, most of Knight's players attended class and did graduate.

^ Well, there is that. I guess it's always a good thing to get the kids to go to class, but I don't see anyone wanting to argue that!!!!!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Bob knight was a mediocre coach and a great recruiter. Once the recruits stopped coming late in his years because he PHYSICALLY abused his players the wins stopped with it. He won with great talent and nothing else. This sounds familiar. We saw what happened to him at Texas Tech. Great coaches recruit top talent. recruiting is the most important job in college sports.

And the DIRTIEST for some coaches!

Did you miss the "CLEAN" part of my post?
Stardust Wrote:^ Well, there is that. I guess it's always a good thing to get the kids to go to class, but I don't see anyone wanting to argue that!!!!!
I was just responding to the statement that he was a mediocre coach with great talent. I would not think anybody would want to argue that Bobby Knight could not coach - as long as you don't deduct points for choking players and hurling chairs across the floor. :biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Bobby Knight was an idiot, but his program was the cleanest in sports. Can't someone be a great coach but a clean one without also being a nut-case?

I would certainly hope so.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I was just responding to the statement that he was a mediocre coach with great talent. I would not think anybody would want to argue that Bobby Knight could not coach - as long as you don't deduct points for choking players and hurling chairs across the floor. :biggrin:

And with all that, he did not even have a single Final Four stripped from his record!
Stardust Wrote:And with all that, he did not even have a single Final Four stripped from his record!

Probably should have been in jail tho.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Probably should have been in jail tho.

Maybe, but at least he would still have his Final Fours
Stardust Wrote:Maybe, but at least he would still have his Final Fours

Id say he had been abusing players for a long time so he probably shouldnt of had the chance.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Id say he had been abusing players for a long time so he probably shouldnt of had the chance.

But he did, and he still has all of his appearances to show for it!
Stardust Wrote:But he did, and he still has all of his appearances to show for it!

Myself would rather be caught cheating in sports than to abuse kids. But from a sporting point of view Knight is a HONEST HONorable coach.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Myself would rather be caught cheating in sports than to abuse kids. But from a sporting point of view Knight is a HONEST HONorable coach.

Be whatever you want, but a cheater is a cheater, no matter what he does in life.
Stardust Wrote:Be whatever you want, but a cheater is a cheater, no matter what he does in life.

Just to clear it up he was never convicted, proven to be involved in anything.

Everyone seen knight.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Just to clear it up he was never convicted, proven to be involved in anything.

Everyone seen knight.

But two final fours were taken away for nothing:popcorn:
Stardust Wrote:But two final fours were taken away for nothing:popcorn:

They were taken away because one player took money from an agent.

And the other was ruled eligible and then ineligible by the NCAA.

I don't see how this is Cals issue.

My mother ran a stop sign while i was in the car, Im not guilty.
These final fours was taking away by the same people who ruled Ohio State players eligible for a MONEY making bowl game but not for 5 games next season. The same people who allowed corey maggatte to do the same thing that happened at UMASS. And Cam Newton and so on.

Its like a court system. They prosecute who they want. Not who is always guilty.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:These final fours was taking away by the same people who ruled Ohio State players eligible for a MONEY making bowl game but not for 5 games next season. The same people who allowed corey maggatte to do the same thing that happened at UMASS. And Cam Newton and so on.

Its like a court system. They prosecute who they want. Not who is always guilty.

As Stardust would say, "Amen brother."
Wildcatk23 Wrote:These final fours was taking away by the same people who ruled Ohio State players eligible for a MONEY making bowl game but not for 5 games next season. The same people who allowed corey maggatte to do the same thing that happened at UMASS. And Cam Newton and so on.

Bottom-line, the final fours are gone!
Stardust Wrote:Bottom-line, the final fours are gone!

And the bottom line is once Bobby Knight was exposed he couldn't recruit anybody. Don't think for one second that Bobby Knight would have gotten his FF in today' modern media environment. He would have been exposed for what he was and is long before the IU glory days.
Joneslab Wrote:And the bottom line is once Bobby Knight was exposed he couldn't recruit anybody. Don't think for one second that Bobby Knight would have gotten his FF in today' modern media environment. He would have been exposed for what he was and is long before the IU glory days.

I have no clue what that is supposed to mean. You mean his final days he was past his day? Umm, isn't that when all coaches and players get out?
Stardust Wrote:Bottom-line, the final fours are gone!

Bottom-Line, The NCAA is STUPID.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Bottom-Line, The NCAA is STUPID.

Some would say it's debatable. Personally, I agree with you.
Pages: 1 2