Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Natural Gas More Harmful Than Coal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Environmentalist are now adding natural gas to their hit list. According to this study by Cornell University professors, gas wells that are drilled by using the "hydraulic fracturing or fracking" method releases more methane into the atmosphere than conventional gas production. Cornell's report also claims that natural gas leaves a larger greenhouse gas footprint than coal by at least 20%.

Natural gas accounts for nearly 25% of our electricy today, while the Energy Information Administration is projecting our use to increase by 20% by 2035.

It appears that environmentlists now have both the coal and gas industries in their sites, combined both gas and coal currently account for nearly 75% of our country's energy sources. How would our energy demands be meet if both of these industries are regulated out of business?

The current administration has been pushing the use of natural gas to meet our electric and auto needs. I wonder if they will take a step back to re-assess these new developments or will they continue full steam ahead.

Will the EPA will attack the gas industry as they have the coal industry?

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-...on-climate
Old School Wrote:Environmentalist are now adding natural gas to their hit list. According to this study by Cornell University professors, gas wells that are drilled by using the "hydraulic fracturing or fracking" method releases more methane into the atmosphere than conventional gas production. Cornell's report also claims that natural gas leaves a larger greenhouse gas footprint than coal by at least 20%.

Natural gas accounts for nearly 25% of our electricy today, while the Energy Information Administration is projecting our use to increase by 20% by 2035.

It appears that environmentlists now have both the coal and gas industries in their sites, combined both gas and coal currently account for nearly 75% of our country's energy sources. How would our energy demands be meet if both of these industries are regulated out of business?

The current administration has been pushing the use of natural gas to meet our electric and auto needs. I wonder if they will take a step back to re-assess these new developments or will they continue full steam ahead.

Will the EPA will attack the gas industry as they have the coal industry?

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-...on-climate

Of course they will, and it will cost BILLIONS for them to substantiate their case with psuedo science and " double speak." Meanwhile, the federal govenment will have to increase the number of employees on the taxpayer dime from 3 million to who knows how many. And, sadly, tvtimeout will have lost fully one half of the ammo for his libertarian platform argument. I just hope people will wake up and put their carbon footprint on the seat of the encumbants jurispantsuits in 2012 and get some real back into government.
After spending last weekend, on the blue ridge parkway, with a bunch of eastern KY miners, I have new found respect for these guys. I still wish we had cleaner energy, but we don't yet. I met the #2 guy for Alpha, a super nice guy.
^ After watching the reality show (though I know they are "made for TV"), I have a tremendous amount of respect for these men and women who brave something that I cannot fathom.
not surprising falls in line with the current administrations goal to raise energy cost across the board.
Screw it. I say the ones who don't want it. NOT let them have it. Us good ole boys can just keep it our selves! Keep it where it's appreciated! Then see how much they want it!
I would analagize the situation like this; let's say one had to get his family to Texas for them to survive, the reason isn't important for this senario. Luckily this guy has a four wheel drive extended cab pickup and a 5th wheel camper. So they begin their journey to a new land. Somewhere along the way an argument ensues within the migrating family that gasoline is a bad thing. Because the father isn't strong willed enough to convimce his family that gas is indeed a good thing and pivotal to their survival, even to the extent of providing a relative life of luxury as they can eat, sleep, cook, bathe, and etc., during their trip, they decide to stop buying gas and just stay on the side of the road until the inevitable happens.

Such is the state of doldrums in which America finds itself mired. And in my mind is the inevitable result caused when the practical is superseded by the ideolouge. OfftheHook has a very good point. Good old boys, the practical, need to kick the ideolouges, liberal dreamers, out of office before it's too late. The old notion that Democrats are the working man's protectors is passe, and changed at least 3 decades ago. I hope Rick Perry runs for president. He's a guy I can vote for warts and all. Our energy reserves are not only a good thing, they are God given for us to use. How stupid can we be?