Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Knicks Interested In Calipari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just seen this on Sports Nation.
They are interested and expect to talk to him.
Thoughts?
Personally thats one of the few jobs i think Cal would leave for. Coaching for the Knicks is like the best job IMO. This one sacres me. I hope he doesnt go.
That would be a job he could leave for.
The pay would be better, and you have a few All-Stars on your team with a veteran point guard.

We'll just have to wait it out.
Isn't that the same team that Pitino left for after a final four? Freaky!
^Na Pitino went to the Celtics
Cal has the oppurtunity to become one of the all time great coaches in college basketball here at Kentucky. I personally believe leaving for the Knicks will be too great a risk.
Bolt Wrote:^Na Pitino went to the Celtics

Did he coach the Knicks at one point?
LWC Wrote:Did he coach the Knicks at one point?

Nope only the celts.
Calipari was only the head coach for the nets.
Not sure whats got you hung on the knicks.
Bolt Wrote:Nope only the celts.

Ricky P did coach the Knicks for two years in the late 80s. After two years with the Knicks, he took the Kentucky job.
I'm sure these rumor are false, the Knicks season is still going on, and not to mention their going to the playoffs.
Bolt Wrote:Nope only the celts.

Pitino left Providence to coach the Knicks after leading Providence to the Final 4 in 1987. He coached the Knicks for two seasons before leaving to coach UK.
Aslan Wrote:I'm sure these rumor are false, the Knicks season is still going on, and not to mention their going to the playoffs.

That's what I'm thinking bro. Anyway, I don't think Cal would take any other job in basketball either, pro or college.
Aslan Wrote:I'm sure these rumor are false, the Knicks season is still going on, and not to mention their going to the playoffs.

I've read this rumor in multiple news outlets.
The Knicks aren't known for keeping stuff under wraps mid-season lol
Larry Brown, Isaiah Thomas, Carmelo Anthony, and now Calipari.
They let everyone know what's going on before it happens.
Mike D'Antoni (Spelling?) Said he wanted to continue Coaching The Knicks. I don't see Coach Cal going anywhere. When Cal was the Head Coach of the Nets, He didn't do anything there so why would he risk leaving Kentucky for an NBA Job where he won't be there long if he can't get the wins? it doesn't matter if he gets more money there than at Kentucky because if he can't Win then he won't have a job there. He's like King of Basketball Here
All I know is I would be devastated, and I don't even want to talk about it. hahahahahha.

Think i'm just going to stand-by and see what everyone has to say about it.
All of this "Why would Cal Leave his Dream Job", "He's got it all here", that was all said when Pitino - Who was the KING of Kentucky when he was here. The same as Pitino who wanted to right his Knicks experience and go to the Celtics to prove he could do it. I do believe that at some point Cal will want that challenge. He will want to prove it to himself on the grandest stage of them all, where the greatest players in the world compete. Sorry guys, winning an NBA championship is the tops of their profession!
Stardust Wrote:All of this "Why would Cal Leave his Dream Job", "He's got it all here", that was all said when Pitino - Who was the KING of Kentucky when he was here. The same as Pitino who wanted to right his Knicks experience and go to the Celtics to prove he could do it. I do believe that at some point Cal will want that challenge. He will want to prove it to himself on the grandest stage of them all, where the greatest players in the world compete. Sorry guys, winning an NBA championship is the tops of their profession!

Shut up, SD
The tops of their profession is winning a championship at UK!
Coach Cal aint going anywhere.
zaga_fan Wrote:I've read this rumor in multiple news outlets.
The Knicks aren't known for keeping stuff under wraps mid-season lol
Larry Brown, Isaiah Thomas, Carmelo Anthony, and now Calipari.
They let everyone know what's going on before it happens.

They might go after Cal, but I don't see him going anywhere.
why are they even talking about this right now? they still have a coach, they still are playing the regular season and there going to the playoffs. All this talk about getting a new coach will do nothing more than cause the Knicks distraction and cause them to lose
zaga_fan Wrote:Shut up, SD

Yes! Big Grin

And SK, I agree. I'd feel pretty alienated if my bosses were openly searching for my replacement before the season was even over and we were in the playoff race.
zaga_fan Wrote:Shut up, SD

I agree.
Unless its a championship, its a dissapointment.
Many will argue otherwise and take the "high road" like this year and say "this team overachieved" and all that nonsense, but all were left with is a banner that says final 4.
Its not a good season at Kentucky unless were national champs, the rest is all just games.
vundy33 Wrote:Yes! Big Grin

And SK, I agree. I'd feel pretty alienated if my bosses were openly searching for my replacement before the season was even over and we were in the playoff race.

D'Antoni has not been the fit that the Knicks wanted. They thought his tempo would take the talent they had and make them better. It did not. They went on the streak to make the playoffs not because of the coach, they made it because of their talent. He's out at the end of this season.
I highly doubt Cal leaving!
^ remember saying the same thing about Pitino.
I am gonna take a lot of heat for this but if Coach Cal leaves and UK hires an X's and O's coach, with the players they will have, they will be unstoppable. It would be like Tubby inheriting the team he did. Great players plus great coaching plus motivation=championships.

However, I will be just as happy if Cal stays.
Stardust Wrote:^ remember saying the same thing about Pitino.

I do, i do. But I just have a gut feeling. I don't know how to explain it.
I really really do not see Cal leaving at this point. A man as driven as him knows that the NBA will always have the coaching needs regardless of the year. He has his window to absolutely solidify his stature in college basketball and I am sure he WILL take advantage of this opportunity. No worries from me. Yes I think he will listen and be flattered but he will be back to the commonwealth in my opinion.
I've said it last season, I'm saying it this season...
Coach Cal isn't leaving UK until he has met gold here..
I expect him to leave UK when the battle is won and we reach #8...
Just because money talks... He has plenty of it but who knows..
IMO, He's not going anywhere until UK hangs another banner.
Ballers Wrote:I've said it last season, I'm saying it this season...
Coach Cal isn't leaving UK until he has met gold here..
I expect him to leave UK when the battle is won and we reach #8...
Just because money talks... He has plenty of it but who knows..
IMO, He's not going anywhere until UK hangs another banner.

If he doesn't get it soon then he will be gone like everyone else.
The promised land isn't the Final 4.
If he can't win next year get ready to hear the rumors of him getting fired.
zaga_fan Wrote:If he doesn't get it soon then he will be gone like everyone else.
The promised land isn't the Final 4.
If he can't win next year get ready to hear the rumors of him getting fired.

Not sure Im following you...
He has hand fed UK a elite 8 and a final 4 in his first 2 years....
I don't think that is that is the same story we're talking about here.
Pages: 1 2