Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Possible hot topic: Baptism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Necessary, not necessary?

I know views generally vary with type of religion, but what do you think and WHY?
Not necessary but should be done. After Jesus was resurrected he said all that needed to be done was believe he died for our sins, to believe in him. That means baptism is no longer necessary, just as animal sacrifices are no longer necessary.

I think it should be done out of respect though, and is a sign that you're are a changed person.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Not necessary but should be done. After Jesus was resurrected he said all that needed to be done was believe he died for our sins, to believe in him. That means baptism is no longer necessary, just as animal sacrifices are no longer necessary.

I think it should be done out of respect though, and is a sign that you're are a changed person.

I completely agree.. After you get saved, you WANT to do it. Not because you have to but because like CE said, its a sign of respect.
I used to go to a church that believed that it was necessary, so I'm kinda on the fence on this one, even though Im not sure you can be.
I personally believe it is necessary. I was brought up that way, although, I have made my own decisions in life. Even if it's not, it's good to be on the safe side.

My preacher always ends the message with this scripture:

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Yeah, but the problem occurs when someone is dying or get saved and gets in a car wreck on the way home. What happens then? Do they not go to heaven even though they accepted Christ?
ComfortEagle Wrote:Yeah, but the problem occurs when someone is dying or get saved and gets in a car wreck on the way home. What happens then? Do they not go to heaven even though they accepted Christ?

Which brings it back to, when you do get saved, you have a WANT to get baptized. But if an accident does occur, and you never get to be baptized, then I believe you still go to heaven because you have already accepted christ into your life and are willing to do his will. But if you go through the motion of getting saved and don't get baptized because of whatever reason, other than a deathly fear of water, then you might want to look into yourself and see if you truly believe or are just goin through the motions.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Yeah, but the problem occurs when someone is dying or get saved and gets in a car wreck on the way home. What happens then? Do they not go to heaven even though they accepted Christ?

That's not or me to decide. :wink:

But seriously, that is a good question. I don't know the answer. I would like to think they're still given a chance.
In the scripture above, notice belief comes first... then baptism. The rest states if theres no belief you are damned, not if you arent baptized. Works for me!!
Yeah, there's also these scriptures:

John 10:9 - I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Luke 8:12 - Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

Luke 7:50 - And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Luke 18:42 - And Jesus said unto him, Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee

John 10:9 - I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Acts 2:21 - And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Acts 15:11 - But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved

And most importantly:

Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The general theme is that you must have faith in order to be saved. If baptizing alone can save you then what was the point in Jesus coming to Earth? I think this last scripture really says it all though. It doesn't say if you shall confess with your mouth AND be baptized, it only says you must confess with your mouth and BELIEVE.
ComfortEagle Wrote:If baptizing alone can save you then what was the point in Jesus coming to Earth? I think this last scripture really says it all though. It doesn't say if you shall confess with your mouth AND be baptized, it only says you must confess with your mouth and BELIEVE.

Well, that's the thing, it's not baptism alone in that scripture. It's believing and baptism. The second part, "he that believeth not", could be referring to the baptism without believing?

I'm just throwing points out there for argument here... but, and this goes for all of us, IMO you can't just ignore certain scripture and go by what's most convenient.

Basically, the way I look at it, you HAVE to believe, that's a given. Baptism just seals the deal. But like I said earlier, I think it's best to be on the safe side and go for it all.
Romans 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

This says nothing about being baptized being required to be saved.
No, it doesn't. But you missed my point. Mark 16:16 does. If we're going to ignore that, let's just ignore all the other scripture we don't like.

To go with verses that don't mention baptism, there are those that do:

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
ZMG Wrote:I personally believe it is necessary. I was brought up that way, although, I have made my own decisions in life. Even if it's not, it's good to be on the safe side.

My preacher always ends the message with this scripture:

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
I agree wholeheartedly!! Ithink you MUST be baptized to be saved! The bible does have some scripture that says believe and you will be saved, but in others it says you must be baptized to be saved. IMO you must do everything the bible says and not just parts of it!
crazytaxidriver Wrote:

Which brings it back to, when you do get saved, you have a WANT to get baptized. But if an accident does occur, and you never get to be baptized, then I believe you still go to heaven because you have already accepted christ into your life and are willing to do his will. But if you go through the motion of getting saved and don't get baptized because of whatever reason, other than a deathly fear of water, then you might want to look into yourself and see if you truly believe or are just goin through the motions.

That is why god made hell, He loves us sooooooooo(infinity) much he wants up to come wit him in tha everlasting life he knows as we are in human flesh that one day we will die and you go to heave or hell .Getting baptized is symbolic to Jesus that we died and came back as a new person, anybody can say i believen Christ and never really mean it, it’s kind of a discipline actin anybody want to find out read John 3:3 if you cant find it it says Ye must be born again or you cannot see the Kingdom of God.
Anyone can get baptized and not mean it too. Does that mean they go to heaven just because they got dunked?
It says Water wont washer away you sins, cuz we live in human flesh we are goin to sin that is the first sage of becoming a born again christian but you must be Born again (baptized) to see the kingdom of God.

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:08 pm:

Belive it or not God knows if you dont mean it so it`s not like gettin baptized is all you have to do you have to follow through with the commitment.

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:09 pm:

Belive it or not God knows if you dont mean it so it`s not like baptized is all you have to do you have to follow through with the commitment.
Right, but just like getting circumsized was a SYMBOL, so is getting baptized. It's a symbol that your sins are being washed away. the physical water does not wash you of your sins, the Holy Spirit does. Where in the Bible does it say you MUST be baptized to be saved? I know it says you SHOULD be baptized, but where does it say MUST?
I will get back at you when i get back from my chruch team practice.
Is church practice over?
It`s in Matthew somewhere,Matthew 28:17-20
Right, but does it say you MUST be baptized to be saved. I agree you SHOULD be baptized, but there are people who accept Christ that cannot get baptized.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Right, but does it say you MUST be baptized to be saved. I agree you SHOULD be baptized, but there are people who accept Christ that cannot get baptized.

I personally do not want to get into this argument but I just want to know why someone "cannot get baptized"? Why couldnt they?
If they die on their death beds. If they accept Christ at a church service and die on the way home, because most churches do not perform baptisms until the next week after a person accepts Christ. And there are even some people who have allergic reactions to water. There was a news special on kids who broke out in blisters where water touched their skin. There's a lot of different things.
I am now wondering how those people who are allergic to water stay clean or even live for that matter????????

On to the baptism thing, I agree about that part...if you just so happen to die before the baptism is performed.
ComfortEagle Wrote:If they die on their death beds. If they accept Christ at a church service and die on the way home, because most churches do not perform baptisms until the next week after a person accepts Christ. And there are even some people who have allergic reactions to water. There was a news special on kids who broke out in blisters where water touched their skin. There's a lot of different things.

Try again. A large amount of our body is water.
ComfortEagle Wrote:If they die on their death beds. If they accept Christ at a church service and die on the way home, because most churches do not perform baptisms until the next week after a person accepts Christ.

I agree in saying that's the way I would like it to be.
Hip-hop Box Wrote:
ComfortEagle Wrote:If they die on their death beds. If they accept Christ at a church service and die on the way home, because most churches do not perform baptisms until the next week after a person accepts Christ. And there are even some people who have allergic reactions to water. There was a news special on kids who broke out in blisters where water touched their skin. There's a lot of different things.

Try again. A large amount of our body is water.

No, I swear to God above that there are people's WHO'S SKINS, THEIR EPIDERMUS, is allergic to water.
1peter 3:20-22:20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also–not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge[e] of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand–with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

this pretty much sums it up.. if you need more verses just ask. If you are gonna be a servant to God you have to go 100% and be baptised. God has mercy on ones who are in the worse of circumstances.. but what was said about being on the last limbs of life and wanting to be baptised and cant rarely happens. But God knows whats in your heart, if your being "saved" and not going all the way then thats wrong. IMO
I dont believe it is necessary I believe all baptism is a public confession of faith.
Pages: 1 2