Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Knight and Jones Draft Talks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, with Lamb announcing hes staying i will presume that to be happening unless he notes otherwise. I also truly believe Miller and Liggins will stay.

Now, for the other two. Whats everyone really think when it comes to these guys. I personally dont think there ready. But i know money talks.....

The "one and done" idea IMO could be ended with one year of guys staying. If you think about it, say all stay. You know Knight and Jones will probably start. Liggins and Miller would too probably. Now that leaves Lamb on the bench again IMO as Davis would start.
So is this possible. With Teague and Gilchrist coming in, theres going to be A LOT of playing time left out there. I think it would definitely make us way deep and by far the number one preseason team, however how will that effect the incoming freshman? You know one of Cals recruiting strategies is to promise playing time right off the bat but will these kids be mad for having to ride the bench for a year? What if Miller or Liggins or Knight or Jones get benched for a freshman, how does that tear them up?
If not, then they would probably come back the next year as well and wed be done with the "one and dones" for atleast a year.
So i guess the biggest question im asking is it a bad thing if the current players all return? Would it cause turmoil? Would we be in for a drama filled season? Or could they all work together to bring home another championship. I hope thats the case because if everyone returns, man are we stacked.
Jones is gone. I'm 5/50 on Knight we don't know what he's gonna do, The only one that knows his Knight himself, I've heard that he's coming back but you can't believe everything you hear. We just have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks. But if for some reason that they both stay, UK will have a team that no one could come close to next season but either way if there gone we will still be a dangerous team for anyone, Them coming back would only make us more dangerous
Liggins is gone. He's expecting a baby. And he might not make it in the NBA, but he can go across seas and makes a couple hundred thousand a year.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Liggins is gone. He's expecting a baby. And he might not make it in the NBA, but he can go across seas and makes a couple hundred thousand a year.

If this is the case, he could be a lot like Porter and just leave.
Jones is gone, I think it is 50/50 with Knight, Miller declares to test the waters but ultimately comes back. If what MrPerfect said about Liggins is true, I think he will be gone. If it is not true, I think he comes back.
I think Knight is gone.. He's waiting till the last minute to say it because he knows that the UK faithful love him..

I hope Jones does leave.. He played awful in the end of the season.. Not sold on Jones just yet..
Ballers Wrote:I think Knight is gone.. He's waiting till the last minute to say it because he knows that the UK faithful love him..

I hope Jones does leave.. He played awful in the end of the season.. Not sold on Jones just yet..

Dude, I think we're a little premature about Jones. That cat has talent. We're getting a bit too fond of Cal's recruiting ability. He has one #7 or #9 class and we're going to be criticizing that.

But yeah, I think Jones has the talent to be a 2nd-year man beast, a smaller Dwight Howard type that can go and hit a three or two. You dig?
vundy33 Wrote:Dude, I think we're a little premature about Jones. That cat has talent. We're getting a bit too fond of Cal's recruiting ability. He has one #7 or #9 class and we're going to be criticizing that.

But yeah, I think Jones has the talent to be a 2nd-year man beast, a smaller Dwight Howard type that can go and hit a three or two. You dig?

Like I said... I think he did well at the begining of the season.. But Harrellson stepped up bigger in the end of the season/post season.
Ballers Wrote:Like I said... I think he did well at the begining of the season.. But Harrellson stepped up bigger in the end of the season/post season.

If you don't like jones for not playing to his pottential then u should hate miller for totally dissapearing in the tournament.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:If you don't like jones for not playing to his pottential then u should hate miller for totally dissapearing in the tournament.

Miller wasn't ranked in the top 10 nationally coming into his freshman season at UK..
Give me a break...
BTW Vundy, I wasn't criticizing Cal... I was criticizing Jones because we know he can play better than he has been.
vundy33 Wrote:Dude, I think we're a little premature about Jones. That cat has talent. We're getting a bit too fond of Cal's recruiting ability. He has one #7 or #9 class and we're going to be criticizing that.

vundy, you are WAY over-rating Jones. He has glaring weaknesses off the dribble and he is not a star defender. Can he get better at both, Yes! Will he, who knows. He came in as a blue chip guy that during the season checked out of many games, thus I don't buy into his mental toughness as well. I'm as big of a UK fan as any, but it is absolutely goofy that coaches and players cannot be criticized for not living up to potential without getting blasted as not being a true UK Fan.

I love Jones and I am extremely happy that he chose UK as the school to attend. But I'm not sitting here with blinders on saying he is anything NEAR the next Dwight Howard. That is having blinders on!
Jarons Wrote:Jones is gone, I think it is 50/50 with Knight, Miller declares to test the waters but ultimately comes back. If what MrPerfect said about Liggins is true, I think he will be gone. If it is not true, I think he comes back.
I agree.

I wouldn't go that far. Dwight Howard is in most dominate big man in the NBA. IMO Jones is the most talented player we have, but he does have a few glaring weaknesses; his ball handling, passing, and his right hand in all aspects of the game.
I'm glad he chose UK but I don't really want him to return next year because I don't believe he will mix well with next years team.
Stardust Wrote:vundy, you are WAY over-rating Jones. He has glaring weaknesses off the dribble and he is not a star defender. Can he get better at both, Yes! Will he, who knows. He came in as a blue chip guy that during the season checked out of many games, thus I don't buy into his mental toughness as well. I'm as big of a UK fan as any, but it is absolutely goofy that coaches and players cannot be criticized for not living up to potential without getting blasted as not being a true UK Fan.

I love Jones and I am extremely happy that he chose UK as the school to attend. But I'm not sitting here with blinders on saying he is anything NEAR the next Dwight Howard. That is having blinders on!

:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:vundy, you are WAY over-rating Jones. He has glaring weaknesses off the dribble and he is not a star defender. Can he get better at both, Yes! Will he, who knows. He came in as a blue chip guy that during the season checked out of many games, thus I don't buy into his mental toughness as well. I'm as big of a UK fan as any, but it is absolutely goofy that coaches and players cannot be criticized for not living up to potential without getting blasted as not being a true UK Fan.

Brilliant post SD.
I've thought for a long time that Jones would bolt for the NBA. However, after the success this season I believe he will stay. I also think Knight will stay, seeing as how he still has much room to grow as a point guard.
If Jones stays at UK his stock will drop next year IMO.
zaga_fan Wrote:If Jones stays at UK his stock will drop next year IMO.

It will, but IMO he is not an NBA player at this point. He is not good enough off the dribble to drive the basket against NBA defenders. Being one dimensional, he will struggle. He is a tremendous athlete, which would always make him dangerous around the basket, but he is not adept at playing the weak side, as proof, Harrelson dominated that part of the game for UK where Terrence did little to position himself properly. His strides are too long on defense, which he can improve upon with proper teaching, but he would not be a good defender early in his NBA career.

Thus, I agree, his NBA stock would drop if he stays and shares time with the recruits coming in. However, he could learn to overcome his shortcomings and at least make him a more presentable NBA prospect. I'm not sure he will ever be a starter. I thought PPat had better skills around the basket, and he has yet to find his way into serious minutes.

No, I'm not over-rating him. And Yes!, that's why I said "can" and "I think".

I posted my post criticizing UK fans that want Jones to leave and some other things in the other thread, not this one. I'm not saying we can't criticize, I'm saying not to go over-board.

I'm talking about how I think he could be a small Dwight Howard type player, great shot blocker and a beast in the post, even at 6'8. I think he could grow into that this offseason. If you couldn't see flashes of greatness in some of his play this season, then you're the one with blinders on. That kid is packed with raw talent, I think Cal could mold that into greatness.

When he was in high school, he was a man among boys. This is college, the players are bigger and tougher. I think he could turn into that by next year and dominate the opposing team's 3, 4 or 5.
Stardust Wrote:It will, but IMO he is not an NBA player at this point. He is not good enough off the dribble to drive the basket against NBA defenders. Being one dimensional, he will struggle. He is a tremendous athlete, which would always make him dangerous around the basket, but he is not adept at playing the weak side, as proof, Harrelson dominated that part of the game for UK where Terrence did little to position himself properly. His strides are too long on defense, which he can improve upon with proper teaching, but he would not be a good defender early in his NBA career.

Thus, I agree, his NBA stock would drop if he stays and shares time with the recruits coming in. However, he could learn to overcome his shortcomings and at least make him a more presentable NBA prospect. I'm not sure he will ever be a starter. I thought PPat had better skills around the basket, and he has yet to find his way into serious minutes.

He could definitely get better at UK next year and maybe bring up his chances to be a better NBA player down the line....
but he also runs the risk of his stock dropping further and that first contract being a small one. Meaning if he doesn't prove something with a minimal paycheck it's back to UK to get a degree and a regular people job lol
If he leaves now he will make more bank and I think that's what ultimately happens.
Stardust Wrote:It will, but IMO he is not an NBA player at this point. He is not good enough off the dribble to drive the basket against NBA defenders. He is a tremendous athlete, which would always make him dangerous around the basket, but he is not adept at playing the weak side, as proof, Harrelson dominated that part of the game for UK where Terrence did little to position himself properly. His strides are too long on defense, which he can improve upon with proper teaching, but he would not be a good defender early in his NBA career.

Those exist? Big Grin
LClion4life Wrote:Those exist? Big Grin

Kobe Bryant.
zaga_fan Wrote:He could definitely get better at UK next year and maybe bring up his chances to be a better NBA player down the line....
but he also runs the risk of his stock dropping further and that first contract being a small one. Meaning if he doesn't prove something with a minimal paycheck it's back to UK to get a degree and a regular people job lol
If he leaves now he will make more bank and I think that's what ultimately happens.

I agree with that..but, I think if he does come back, he'll be great for us next year no matter who we have in the line-up. I do think there's a much higher chance that he'll receive a bigger contract this year rather than next year, but I'm going with the minority in saying he'll have a great year and great contract if he does come back and decide to leave in 2012.

I sure hope I'm right.

Question for you guys. Would you rather take the chance on him coming back and being a beast, while also kind of jamming up the line-up with Davis and Wiljter and the added chance it'll be another repeat performance of 2009..or would you rather him leave next year and leave it to the big frosh coming in.

I think he could stay and be kind of a PPat type player next year. Of course, he wouldn't be as good or make a giant impact like Patrick did, he would have more of an established inside game and work on his outside game instead of the opposite that Patty did. He would be the experienced swing-4, with Davis and Wiljter being the Cousins-Orton aspect of it with more flexibility, better passing bigs, better shooting bigs, and a fast overall team.

What do you all think? I'm just being optimistic and throwin' stuff out there.
^ Do I hope he comes back - Absolutely! For two reasons:

1. Selfishly I want him to come back to help UK with much needed depth and experience. I for one will grow sick of the 1 & Down players that we will be getting from now on, so to get a player to give more time only makes this TEAM better. We have another great recruiting class coming in, but if he does not stay we are right back where we were last year with a great class and no leadership from experience.

2. Jones has more development needed. He is a poor defender, he is one dimensional with the ball, and for a big guy, he does not play the paint efficiently. If he can improve in those aspects, he becomes a much better player and his tenure at the next level increases. Thus, he needs to come back but as others have expressed, his draft stock is at it's highest right now. He will fall the way of PPat when he gets in the numbers game next season. If Kanter would have been here this season, Jones would not have been as good as what we seen. Why? Because he does not play the weak side. Let's face it, Kanter is here, Kanter is the strong side player. Where would that have put Jones - la-la land! Do not think for one minute that Jones would have been better with Kanter. No, Jones needs the ball on the strong side. He would not have been that guy. Next year Davis will be the strong side guy. PPat was not the player in the paint that he was when Cousins took the strong side away from him. Jones will experience the same thing if he stays next season. That does not mean I want him to go. I don't care about his NBA draft stock, I care about a UK Banner so I am fine with Jones NBA stock dropping as a result.

That all obviously tells you that IMO, no, Jones will not be a "Beastly" player. He is a very good player who has parts of his game that need to be developed, but Cal's offense is made for the strongest big man to play the strong side of the paint. If the recruits coming in play the strong side better, then Jones will be relegated to the weakside where he CAN be good if he has the mental patience and unselfishness for the team that PPat had!

Do I think he stays - Absolutely NOT! This kid did not enjoy college basketball. He is the perfect example of the player who only did this because he HAD to do it. We are very lucky that he played for UK so we could experience this young mans talents. Terrence went through much of this season just not having fun. It did not take a psychologist to see it over his whole expression from facial, body language to effort. This young man has never had a coach yell and scream at him - but that is what he got this year. I'm confident that he has never ever had the words "He's a selfish Mother ******" uttered his way in his life. He checked out after that point and his decision to not come back started then. He had some very good games after that, but this kids aggressiveness floated away, just as his game at times. I'm positive all is forgiven, but it will not be forgotten. He will not be in a UK uniform next year!
Jones could come back and be almost the exact player Derrick Williams from Arizona is his soph season.
Overrated Wrote:Jones could come back and be almost the exact player Derrick Williams from Arizona is his soph season.

Good point Overrated. And I agree!
Stardust Wrote:^ Do I hope he comes back - Absolutely! For two reasons:

1. Selfishly I want him to come back to help UK with much needed depth and experience. I for one will grow sick of the 1 & Down players that we will be getting from now on, so to get a player to give more time only makes this TEAM better. We have another great recruiting class coming in, but if he does not stay we are right back where we were last year with a great class and no leadership from experience.

2. Jones has more development needed. He is a poor defender, he is one dimensional with the ball, and for a big guy, he does not play the paint efficiently. If he can improve in those aspects, he becomes a much better player and his tenure at the next level increases. Thus, he needs to come back but as others have expressed, his draft stock is at it's highest right now. He will fall the way of PPat when he gets in the numbers game next season. If Kanter would have been here this season, Jones would not have been as good as what we seen. Why? Because he does not play the weak side. Let's face it, Kanter is here, Kanter is the strong side player. Where would that have put Jones - la-la land! Do not think for one minute that Jones would have been better with Kanter. No, Jones needs the ball on the strong side. He would not have been that guy. Next year Davis will be the strong side guy. PPat was not the player in the paint that he was when Cousins took the strong side away from him. Jones will experience the same thing if he stays next season. That does not mean I want him to go. I don't care about his NBA draft stock, I care about a UK Banner so I am fine with Jones NBA stock dropping as a result.

That all obviously tells you that IMO, no, Jones will not be a "Beastly" player. He is a very good player who has parts of his game that need to be developed, but Cal's offense is made for the strongest big man to play the strong side of the paint. If the recruits coming in play the strong side better, then Jones will be relegated to the weakside where he CAN be good if he has the mental patience and unselfishness for the team that PPat had!

Do I think he stays - Absolutely NOT! This kid did not enjoy college basketball. He is the perfect example of the player who only did this because he HAD to do it. We are very lucky that he played for UK so we could experience this young mans talents. Terrence went through much of this season just not having fun. It did not take a psychologist to see it over his whole expression from facial, body language to effort. This young man has never had a coach yell and scream at him - but that is what he got this year. I'm confident that he has never ever had the words "He's a selfish Mother ******" uttered his way in his life. He checked out after that point and his decision to not come back started then. He had some very good games after that, but this kids aggressiveness floated away, just as his game at times. I'm positive all is forgiven, but it will not be forgotten. He will not be in a UK uniform next year!

I agree 100%. I don't think he'll be back, but I sure as heck am hoping that's the case. Time will tell I guess.
One and done may be a thing of the past. Yahoo is reporting that the NBA and owners may be expanding it to 2 years of college and or 20 years of age.
Who knows what they will do. I know it will be a lot of money to turn down, with both being projected near the top 10. Knight, if he stays will more than likely move to the two guard, much like Bledsoe did with John Wall.
As for Jones, he's as talented as anybody. His overall production went down througout the season but he also didn't force near as much. I thought Jones played better down the stretch even though his numbers were down. He was more of a team player and was a great help to those around him developing.
Now Jones did have games were he just didn't show up I'll give everybody that but he was a big part of UK's run this year. If Jones does return, best backcourt in America hands down.
^frontcourt?
LClion4life Wrote:^frontcourt?

:Thumbs:
I was thinking we'd have a good but inexperienced front court overall next year. Not best in the nation, that would be UNC.
If Knight returns, imo well definitely have the best back court.
Pages: 1 2