Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NKU plans move to Division I
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...|FRONTPAGE

Northern Kentucky University might be ready to convert to Division I athletics after all.
Less than a year after saying NKU would delay any move to the highest level of college sports, which would cost more than $3 million per year, NKU President James Votruba said Wednesday he will recommend that the university apply when a moratorium expires this fall.
Would they be in the OVC?
I was wondering the same thing. I think that OVC would have to be the option for them.
I hope they do move to D1, it seems like this has been in the making for 7 or 8 years now!
I think they are trying to join the Horizon.
They have already revamped all locker rooms to the quality of some of the largest D1 Programs in the country as they begin their recruiting quest to lure D1 Athletes
[SIZE=2]http://nkunorse.com/custompages/guides/N...ilitystudy

From NKU's study on the matter

Executive Summary Recap
[/SIZE]Division I moratorium in place until August 2011
 Institution from size, academics and location is a good fit for Division I
 Athletics boasts Division I facilities with the BOK and new soccer facility
One-time $900,000 to $1.3 million NCAA application fee
 Preferred conference destination would be the Horizon League
 Institution would need to add women’s track & field as a 14
th sport to meet Division I minimum sport requirements
 Institution would need to increase scholarships from 69.20 to 120.73 equivalencies as a Division I program and develop a fifth year/summer school scholarship program ($1.2 million increase)
 Operating budgets for the 14 sports would increase by more than $535,000
 Athletics would increase staffing at both the administrative and coaching levels ($1.01 million increase)
 Overall athletics would need to add approximately $3.5 to $3.8 million to it current athletic budget to be competitive at Division I
 To support the move, the institution would need to explore student fee programs, which is currently more than 60% below the average Division I student fee revenue
 Athletics would need to increase revenue in sponsorships, fundraising and ticket sales
 Institution would need to explore modification
looks like student fees are going up