Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Calipari to NBA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does John Calipari return to NBA??? If so, when? Apparently he is ready to return to the NBA. I honestly think he would do good, and I personally don't see him @ Kentucky not much longer. What's everyone else think??
Threads like this are going to come up every year.
Why is he apparently ready to return to the NBA? His only stint in the NBA, was below par.
Cal will be at UK for a while. He'd be an idiot to leave with the recruiting class he has coming in, a team returning that will be the favorites to win it all (40-0!), and there might be a lockout next year in the NBA.
http://basketball.about.com/b/2011/04/04...he-nba.htm

Stop me if you've heard this one before... with rumors swirling about possible NCAA violations, John Calipari is reportedly considering a job change.

Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News is reporting that Calipari would like another crack at running a professional team. Calipari is represented by CAA - the same agency employed by LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Carmelo Anthony - which could make the Miami or New York jobs an option should either open up after this season.

According to Lawrence, Calipari has never gotten over losing his job as head coach of the Nets 20 games into the 1999 season.

Of course, there could be another reason why he's mulling a change of address. A Fox Sports investigation alleged improper contact between Bilal Bately - a Calipari staffer at Memphis and Kentucky - and recruits like DeMarcus Cousins.

Calipari left two Final Four other teams - UMass and Memphis - under a cloud of NCAA investigations.
http://www.yardbarker.com/college_basket...ba/4497081

Could John Calipari be heading back to the NBA? Mitch Lawerence of the New York Daily News has the scoop: [John Calipari]…recently left the distinct impression that, although he is recruiting and conducting business, as usual, as Kentucky’s basketball coach, he ‘wants back in,’ according to a source. Calipari was rumored to be in a package deal as he would coach the Chicago Bulls with LeBron James being there this past off-season, but nothing ever got done. “Calipari’s stock has risen in recent seasons among more than a few GMs, and he’s got close ties to William (Wes’) Wesley, the CAA powerbroker who has an in with several teams, including Miami, via CAA clients, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and the Knicks, with Anthony, another CAA’er,” Lawrence added. Calipari has coached in the NBA before, being the head coach of the New Jersey Nets for a while.
http://www.yardbarker.com/college_basket...in/4501311

Like Daylight Savings Time, the annual scourge of Kentucky Basketball Wildcat fans is back. The annual NBA rumors are not only swirling about the players, but our beloved Coach Calipari as well. Seems a well placed rumor in the NY Daily News has started to hit the Internet and it it will probably continue to snowball: John Calipari coming back to the NBA to coach? Perhaps. Calipari recently left the distinct impression that, although he is recruiting and conducting business, as usual, as Kentucky's basketball coach, he "wants back in," according to a source. Calipari has never gotten over how he was fired by the Nets 20 games into the 1999 lockout season. Aw, the dreaded unnamed "source" is talking again. To be honest, I would not worry too much about Calipari bolting to the NBA after this year.

Kentucky coach John Calipari recently left the distinct impression that, although he is recruiting and conducting business as usual, he "wants back in" the NBA, a source told the Daily News.

Calipari's stock has risen in recent seasons among more than a few GMs, and he has close ties to William Wesley, the Creative Artists Agency powerbroker who has an in with several teams.

Kentucky reached the Final Four this season.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212...z1Ib8CnmbC
Jay-Z has a stake in the New Jersey Nets, so when he visited the Kentucky locker room last Sunday following a Wildcat victory over North Carolina, that could have violated NBA rules. NBA teams cannot have contact with non-draft eligible draft players.

No one really believes that the NBA is that concerned about Jay-Z's presence in that locker room, but a few college basketball purists did not like it. For one it creates a recruiting advantage for UK coach John Calipari. And that's what most people don't like.

One is former CBS announcer Billy Packer who said this week, "You control your locker room, and therefore you know who comes in and who doesn’t come in. Without question, that is something that never should have happened."

As for Calipari's previous NCAA violations, Packer had this to say, "John walked away from that, and the fact is that he was not implicated in either one of those decisions."

"But you know, you walk on a path like that, and it’s something you’d better be very careful of."

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_ba..._z/4491487
Last year, when LeBron James had yet to decide where his talents should go (at least officially), Kentucky coach John Calipari was a hot name. There were reports that William Wesley — the behind-the-scenes power broker now working for CAA — was trying to sell LeBron and Calipari as a package to the Bulls and Clippers.

That never happened (the Bulls went with another CAA client in Tom Thibodeau, the Clippers went with the Bulls rejects).

But that doesn’t mean Calipari doesn’t want another shot in the NBA. He struggled in two-and-a-quarter years at the helm of the Nets in the late ‘90s (although he did get a team led by Keith Van Horn and Sam Cassell to the playoffs one season) and he wants another shot, according to a note in the New York Daily News.

Calipari recently left the distinct impression that, although he is recruiting and conducting business, as usual, as Kentucky’s basketball coach, he “wants back in,” according to a source. Calipari has never gotten over how he was fired by the Nets 20 games into the 1999 lockout season….

Calipari’s stock has risen in recent seasons among more than a few GMs, and he’s got close ties to William (Wes’) Wesley, the CAA powerbroker who has an in with several teams, including Miami, via CAA clients, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, and the Knicks, with Anthony, another CAA’er.

Calipari is not coming back to another 90s Nets situation — he wants a big stage and somewhere he can win. He has a good gig and leverage, he doesn’t have to take any job offered. It’s hard to see Pat Riley going with someone he might not be able to control in Miami. Predicting what James Dolan might do in New York is a fool’s errand. There may or may not be vacancies in either of those markets anyway.

But expect to hear the name come up for some high-profile openings.

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_ba...gs/4500358
Aslan Wrote:Threads like this are going to come up every year.
Why is he apparently ready to return to the NBA? His only stint in the NBA, was below par.
Cal will be at UK for a while. He'd be an idiot to leave with the recruiting class he has coming in, a team returning that will be the favorites to win it all (40-0!), and there might be a lockout next year in the NBA.

No offense Aslan, but your signature makes me want to physically assault you. :HitWall:
LClion4life Wrote:No offense Aslan, but your signature makes me want to physically assault you. :HitWall:

Lost an avatar bet to Zaga.
I voluntarily put the signature up, thought it was pretty funny.
Yeah....I think Calipari would do good in the NBA! and I see him eventually taking an offer soon! maybe go to the memphis grizzlies!! or Miami Heat!! or how about the Wizards, or the Kings!?!?! and Aslan...easy on the remark of UK going 40-0. we know that will not happen!! that is very false statement! and if UK is somewhat in trouble with NCAA violations...Calipari will leave cause he has a past record of doing that.....:0
40-0 next year.
HA!!!! easy there Aslan!! you are crazy right now....to even think UK will go 40-0...your nuts!
I'm telling ya, if Knight, Liggins, and Miller comes back, UK is going 40-0.
I am as big of a UK fan as the next guy but I still think that even with the NBA team that would be the freshmen of next year with Liggins, Miller, Knight and Lamb, you can not account for a bad shooting night on the road at some point in the season. I think it is as high of a possibility for them to go 40-0 as most teams but there are just too many factors that go into it through out the course of the season.
I know that Cal has stated that he really wants to be apart of an undefeated season before he retires. So this is truly his first shot at it.
About 4 games stick out in my mind as potential losses (not saying I think that we lose them, but they are possibilities)
Kansas (one of our first games with all of these young players)
North Carolina (it is at Rupp, but either way UNC is going to be scary good)
Louisville (once again, in Rupp but it can be a great game)
Florida (Get a fabulous recruit to put beside Walker and Boyton)

I do not think that we lose that many games but these are ones that you can kind of circle your calendar for.
Kansas is losing a lot, and I believe UNC will be losing a few players to the draft.
If we get our key players to return, and with this amazing recruiting class coming in, 40-0 is very possible imo.
Calipari is an idiot if he leaves Kentucky. When he first got the job he said it was his dream job. So I don't seen Cal leaving Kentucky any time soon.
Cal is not leaving, I am so confident about that in comparison to others like on the other websites. I am so excited about what Cal is doing here in Lexington and I know that UK is now back at the top of college basketball.
2010- SEC regular season champs
2010- SEC tournament champs
2010- NCAA Elite Eight
2011- SEC tournament champs
2011- Final Four

Amazing two years!
Cal isn't leaving give me a break... He has the best home in college basketball!
Next year we are going all the way baby.. May have a loss here or there but not many IMO.
I'd would say I would be surprised if he left....
but why would I lol
These threads come up every year. Getting used to it.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:These threads come up every year. Getting used to it.

:Clap:
People are nieve if they think Cal wouldn't consider an NBA job if he were offered. Coach Cal would definitely consider a New York Knicks job or a Miami Heat job (and that position could very well be open if Miami doesn't fare well in the post-season). Will he take it? I don't think he would this soon in his UK coaching career. But later on down the road, he may very well bolt back to the League. He loves his job at UK and wouldn't leave Kentucky for another school, but if the right offer comes along to coach LeBron James and Dwayne Wade, he may be up for the challenge. If I had to guess, I'd say he doesn't leave the Commonwealth any time soon though.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Cal is not leaving, I am so confident about that in comparison to others like on the other websites. I am so excited about what Cal is doing here in Lexington and I know that UK is now back at the top of college basketball.
2010- SEC regular season champs
2010- SEC tournament champs
2010- NCAA Elite Eight
2011- SEC tournament champs
2011- Final Four

Amazing two years!

:Thumbs: Exactly
ballers Wrote:cal isn't leaving give me a break... He has the best home in college basketball!
Next year we are going all the way baby.. May have a loss here or there but not many imo.

40-0.
Maybe in 3 years he'll re-turn to the NBA. When Kentucky fires him.
IMO i could see cal taking the "RIGHT" NBA job if it were offered... The right one would be the miami heat...Thats the only job I could see him taking unless JWALL was traded to another team that could possibly put him in a chance to win...You are right these threads are started every season, but there is obviously a reason, right? Cal is interested in the NBA, IMO he will return there before his contract is up at UK...He does have that background of leaving teams under investigation! IMO after next seson when UK gets all the wins and the final 4 that they will be in next season, when all that is vacated you can say bye bye paypalcal
Come on...could someone give me one good reason Coach Cal would leave his dream job for the NBA when he's having success and, if I'm not mistaken, is the highest paid coach in college basketball? What possible reason could he have besides just giving himself the satisfaction that he could be a successful NBA coach?

He has it all in Lexington. Mountains of money, a school dedicated to the program, the best players in the country coming in every year, the best fan base, the most storied program on earth..he's not going to the NBA people. All you Cal haters need to get over it. In my opinion, he'll be at UK until he retires or dies.

[Image: hatergonnahate02.jpg]