Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shaka Smart to remain at VCU on a new deal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Despite An Offer From N.C. State, VCU Rams Coach Shaka Smart Will Remain At The School On A New Deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6290035
I'm sure he got some money..
But to be honest, this guy will never be seen again.. Very lucky guy..
I can tell you this, he can't coach his way out of a paper bag..
^ From $325K to $1.25M per year for 8 years!
He should have got out of VCU. They had 12 losses in the Colonial Conf. One very unlikely run at the Final Four and all you heard is his name. He will never be as sought after as he is right now.
Amun-Ra Wrote:He should have got out of VCU. They had 12 losses in the Colonial Conf. One very unlikely run at the Final Four and all you heard is his name. He will never be as sought after as he is right now.

Amen. It's a Mid-Major and will never compete consistently for recruits. But, maybe this will be a story of someone who gets four year players and can play at a higher than normal level because of experience. But I agree, he should have taken his name to a school that can recruit. He was a hot item!
Nice little raise for Walka Flaka Shaka.
I am glad he decided to stay.
How many of you had even heard of shaka smart until this season... Sure he isnt an elite coach, but he has been there 2 season won the colonial leagure tourney his first season and took them back to the finals this season. After the team was critized fro even been in field of 68 he led them to the final 4! Thats not a bad coaching career for a mid major if you ask me...Yes, he as alot of losses in the Colonial league but even still he gets his coaching done when it counts....Idk how any of you could say he couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag? Thats just dumb
To turn down the money he must really love it at VCU.
theVILLE Wrote:How many of you had even heard of shaka smart until this season... Sure he isnt an elite coach, but he has been there 2 season won the colonial leagure tourney his first season and took them back to the finals this season. After the team was critized fro even been in field of 68 he led them to the final 4! Thats not a bad coaching career for a mid major if you ask me...Yes, he as alot of losses in the Colonial league but even still he gets his coaching done when it counts....Idk how any of you could say he couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag? Thats just dumb

Well lets see what he does next season..
If he gets to the final 4 again next season I guess I will eat crow..
If he even gets to the sweet sixteen that is...
Ballers Wrote:Well lets see what he does next season..
If he gets to the final 4 again next season I guess I will eat crow..
If he even gets to the sweet sixteen that is...

Did I say somewhere in my post that he would get back to the sweet 16???? I dont know where your little mind led you to get that out of my post? I jsut said that he was simply a good coach and that he proved that to me in the tournament...
Stupid choice in my opinion. He should have took an offer while it was there.
This guy has been built up so big, but its all due to media.
He will never win anything at VCU. Thats just a simple fact. This year he went to his first and last final four. Heck, it might be his first and last tourney appearance.
Way overrated. Everybody hits a streak every now and then.
Not a very smart decision in my case.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Not a very smart decision in my case.

I am not sure why everybody is ripping this guy for staying at VCU. He must like his job there and is happy. He is getting paid a sick amount of money and will be finacially set for life. Not every coach wants the high pressure that top programs bring. I wish the guy luck and hope to see him back making noise in the big dance next year.
Not many thought Butler would have made it to the championship game, back to back years.
theVILLE Wrote:How many of you had even heard of shaka smart until this season... Sure he isnt an elite coach, but he has been there 2 season won the colonial leagure tourney his first season and took them back to the finals this season. After the team was critized fro even been in field of 68 he led them to the final 4! Thats not a bad coaching career for a mid major if you ask me...Yes, he as alot of losses in the Colonial league but even still he gets his coaching done when it counts....Idk how any of you could say he couldnt coach his way out of a paper bag? Thats just dumb

I had never heard of him before the NCAA Tournament this year
Stardust Wrote:^ From $325K to $1.25M per year for 8 years!

Good lord, that is crazy! I know he made it to the final four but I don't think that rectifies an extra $900,000 a year!