Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tennessee hires Missouri State Coach to same position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Missouri State hired Missouri State coach Cuonzo Martin to the same position.
Never heard of him, thoughts?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6264533
Hes coached there for three seasons and before that was an assistant at Purdue.
I might be getting him confused with someone else, I think he played for Purdue in the 90's
Good Coach I watched 2 Missouri State this year, and he seemed to be alright. In due time this guy may be good for Tennessee or a big bust no one knows.
my TN friends want me to send them KY t-shirts there switching teams for basketball only,lol
Pulled the trigger to quick, IMO. It may work out, and I hope it does but I still they could have waited and got someone better, maybe like Shaka Smart.
Wow!! I think that this is completely too quick and this situation has potential to lose the fanbase. I think that people are so fed up with their AD, Hamilton has done all of the wrong things at the wrong times in a tough situation. Hope it works out, but UT has not assumed their rightful place in the SEC totem pole.
Probably not the most popular choice for the fan base, but it seems everyone has nothing but good things to say about Coach Martin. He's a no non-sense type of guy, who recruits very well and does everything with integrity and class. I read a nice story about him winning a battle with cancer several years ago, as well. At this point, this is exactly the type of coach UT needs in order to clean up the mess that Pearl has left.
Jarons Wrote:I might be getting him confused with someone else, I think he played for Purdue in the 90's

You're right. Played at Purdue, under Gene Keady from 1991-1995. He was also an assistant at Purdue, before getting the head coaching job at Missouri St.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Probably not the most popular choice for the fan base, but it seems everyone has nothing but good things to say about Coach Martin. He's a no non-sense type of guy, who recruits very well and does everything with integrity and class. I read a nice story about him winning a battle with cancer several years ago, as well. At this point, this is exactly the type of coach UT needs in order to clean up the mess that Pearl has left.

Maybe that is the biggest thing with this hire. Good attitude, gonna do things the right way, even if it might take longer. If nothing else, he cleans the program up and someone else take them to being the 2nd best SEC team again Big Grin
LWC Wrote:Maybe that is the biggest thing with this hire. Good attitude, gonna do things the right way, even if it might take longer. If nothing else, he cleans the program up and someone else take them to being the 2nd best SEC team again Big Grin

When were they the 2nd best team exactly?
He also played for Purdue when Glenn Robinson was there...He was a solid player...

I watched Purdue play a few years when lived in Lafayette Ind.
^ Yea, this?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:When were they the 2nd best team exactly?
Nobody cares.
This hire= Yawwwwwn
I think that the fanbase really got spoiled with Pearl and they will not be able to handle too harsh of a transition. I really hope it works out well for them but I really can see them getting pushed back to at least 5th place in the SEC east!!
Think:
1-Kentucky (suceed, win, reload)
2-Florida (always challenging and around the top of the conference)
3-Georgia (up and coming program with a great young X and Os coach)
4-Vanderbilt (Stallings....)
5-Tennessee (hard to see the talent getting in there with the same clip as Pearl)
6-South Carolina (Horn is slowing getting pushed back and will lose the fanbase)