Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Championship Games at Roy Kidd Stadium in Richmond????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you think of having the Championship Games at Roy Kidd Stadium in Richmond in the future????

I'm well aware that the city of Richmond would have to put some money into it. Also, people could stay in Lexington and drive down.

What are your thoughts???
22,000 Capacity
Richmond is a good location, but Roy Kidd Stadium is a grass surface and even though its 22,000 capacity, 16,000 sit on one side. It's not a bad idea, but for now I'm not big on it
One thing is great about Richmond, it is more centrally located than Louisville and Bowling Green to most of the population of Kentucky.

However, the stadium is not as good as it should be.
Imo, location is a plus. However, grass turff and seating would be an apparant issue. I've always been in favor of this locat ion but these
two items would be a negative.
agree with all, Richmond is definitely a better centrally located place to have it, Bowling Green is a pretty long haul, especially for the eastern kentucky mountain teams. You guys are right, the grass would be an issue, as well as the issue that one side of the stadium seats ALOT more than the other. When I attended both days of the title games in BG last year, to me, it was a great atmosphere for the State Championships, the city of BG and WKU did a outstanding job setting it up, and from what ive read from others on here that have been in the locker rooms, new field turf/facilities, they seemed very impressed with WKU's new upgraded facilities, and the hospitality that was shown by all, which is also a pretty good recruiting tool for WKU's football program to show off to players who play in the title games.
I am pretty sure that Eastern has turf now.
EKU has TURF now.

But NO.

While I don't care for the games at BG, they do offer much more than Richmond can offer.

The stadium is a lot nicer at WKU, they have an indoor facility for a premium price and the concourse is overall 10 times better than EKU. WKU has limited parking, but EKU is even worse.

The best place to host it is UofL but people hate the idea of the larger stadium with few people filling it up and UofL does not accomodate near as well as WKU as far as concessions, public relations, etc.

I would vote UofL though IMO.

EKU will not host it period. Richmond cannot accomodate those people and no one is going to put any money into anything when there isn't that much to get out of it.
3wishes Wrote:EKU has TURF now.

my vote is still no for seating purposes
What's wrong with grass?? Every field doesn't have to be turf. Although the team I root for has an advantage against anyone on turf. Football is an outdoor sport. It doesn't always have to be so sanitary.
This would have to be the best location out of any of the others!!
Wideleft01 Wrote:What's wrong with grass?? Every field doesn't have to be turf. Although the team I root for has an advantage against anyone on turf. Football is an outdoor sport. It doesn't always have to be so sanitary.
If it rained grass would'nt hold up for 6 games.
I wouldn't mind if they played the championship games at EKU. Richmond is centrally located, has had Field Turf for two years now. Grass will not be an issue. Anyone know what the attendence was at WKU?
I like the location. But not the stadium.
One of the problems with Eastern is they do not have enough hotels to accommodate everyone. There has to be enough rooms for every team weather they use them or not. Eastern just does not have that.

Western has been awesome. Great facilaties. Perfect for High school football. A drive for some but not for others. It is give and take. I love Bowling Green and actually have grown to love the drive.:Thumbs:
From a very unbiased opinion here, but Richmond/EKU doesn't compare to what all Bowling Green/WKU offers. Hotels, Restaurants, Stadium or the town as a whole doesn't compare to Bowling Green.

EKU has no luxury suites, the ghetto-metal bleachers on the visitor side are really a sore eye (when compared to what WKU and UL offer). What's Richmond have, about 5 hotels? Bowling Green has 5 within the first mile of Scottsville Road. Bowling Green has more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. Actually, I think they have the most restaurants per capita than any town in the country or some wild fact like that?

Roy Kidd Stadium, even though it has improved greatly, needs some more plastic surgery as well as what the town offers in accomodations for fans before it can ever be thought about as football State Championship site.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:From a very unbiased opinion here, but Richmond/EKU doesn't compare to what all Bowling Green/WKU offers. Hotels, Restaurants, Stadium or the town as a whole doesn't compare to Bowling Green.

EKU has no luxury suites, the ghetto-metal bleachers on the visitor side are really a sore eye (when compared to what WKU and UL offer). What's Richmond have, about 5 hotels? Bowling Green has 5 within the first mile of Scottsville Road. Bowling Green has more restaurants than you can shake a stick at. Actually, I think they have the most restaurants per capita than any town in the country or some wild fact like that?

Roy Kidd Stadium, even though it has improved greatly, needs some more plastic surgery as well as what the town offers in accomodations for fans before it can ever be thought about as football State Championship site.

Ghetto bleachers?
sstack Wrote:Ghetto bleachers?

BYOSP

Bring your own spray paintConfusedhh:

I think that the location is great and they do have turf at EKU. The seating could be better, but unless your butt is made of glass, I think you could stand to sit in the ghetto for one game. There are several hotels in the Richmond area and it isn't but a fifteen minute drive down I-75 from Berea where there are a few more hotels.
tradition Wrote:One of the problems with Eastern is they do not have enough hotels to accommodate everyone. There has to be enough rooms for every team weather they use them or not. Eastern just does not have that.

Western has been awesome. Great facilaties. Perfect for High school football. A drive for some but not for others. It is give and take. I love Bowling Green and actually have grown to love the drive.:Thumbs:

How about staying at hotels in Lexington?
papagrit Wrote:BYOSP

Bring your own spray paintConfusedhh:

I think that the location is great and they do have turf at EKU. The seating could be better, but unless your butt is made of glass, I think you could stand to sit in the ghetto for one game. There are several hotels in the Richmond area and it isn't but a fifteen minute drive down I-75 from Berea where there are a few more hotels.

Not to mention that Lexington is close as well. Now that I am a little more used to Bowling Green, I love it. Everything, and I mean everything you need is on Scottsville Road. The parking is very, and I mean very limited in Bowling Green though. You just about have to carpool from the hotel. It has been so long since I have been to Richmond that I have forgotten what their parking is like.
Parking in Richmond would be horrible. I love Richmond and EKU as much as anybody and I hate to say this, but IMO Bowling Green is a better location than Richmond. I still don't like Hilltoppers though.
The stadium itsself is awful at EKU.
The seating blows and it shouldnt be played there.
I think the KHSAA should find some common ground or rotate certain places.
ITS STUPID to ask everyone to drive to Bowling Green for the stagte championship game when usually the majority of the teams in state championship are including or east of lville.
Ive always loved commonwealth and would love to see it happen but it never will there because it would destroy the field.
I thought it was fine at UL but how about we find somewhere more central KY so thats its fair to everyone or play the 1-2A championships somewhere, 3-4A somewhere and 5-6A somewhere.
That would be the best way IMO.
There are PLENTY of resteraunts in Richmond. IN FACT with the new shopping center and being only 15-20 minutes away from Hamburg in Lexington (actually an easier drive than across bowling green) I'd say Richmond has BG dominiated in places to eat. Also, between Berea, Richmond Exits, and Hamburg in Lex (15 mins on I-75) there are TONS of rooms and hotels in that area.

22,000 would be more than enough. EKU has a concourse in the new football building that is not as big as BG, but just as nice. Also, the stadium would actually be PACKED, the kids would be playing in front of a full stadium. You also have the Grass in the endzone which could get you to around 25,000. And EKU has a turf field. And even if it sold out, it would still be 25000 people watching the game. Thats like filling Rupp, pretty sure if its good enough for the greatest basketball program in America, its good enough for high school football.

The only game it would impact would be the 6A game IF both X and Trin made it. It would have a HUGE GAME but HIGH SCHOOL feel to it.

I think EKU would be an ideal place for the State Games. Big stadiums, while cool, KILL the atmosphere with everyone being spread out. It looks empty. Go big, but fill it up and watch the electricity!!!