Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky's Chances In The Tournament
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know this has been an up an down year for the cats, but what else can you expect from a young team. I knew a lot of people were wishful thinking when it came to comparing this years class to last years. Last years class was unbelievable and had some senior leadership with it. This year this team has dropped some games on the road but looking at the schedule, which im sure most of you have noticed, UK has lost all of their games on the road, which IMO is acceptable for a team that plays six guys which are made up of mostly freshman.
UK's losses include 4 games by two points or less which included @ North Carolina and two game by 4 (@ Vandy) and 7 points (@Georgia). Other than the Kemba Walker show we faced early in the year, UK has been right down to the last second in every game.
That brings me to the question, what would are record have been had Kanter been ruled eligible? I think everyone thought we were doomed when it came to losing Kanter but weve held up strong. I think with Kanter we could have easily had an undefeated season with everyone being so down and the SEC being so weak this year.

Like most of you i think UK deserved a better seed but im fine with a four seed, its the fact that were stuck in the toughest region of the tourney that has me worried. For UK to go all the way i honestly believe were going to have to fight for a win against Princeton before facing West Virginia (who knocked us out last year) and facing Ohio State (overall #1 seed), Syracuse, who might be the best team out of the Big East with the likes of Uconn who we lost to and Notre Dame and Lville, who we both beat.

Im going to say a Sweet Sixteen appearance is as far as these cats will go but i hope they go further playing on neutral courts, which will more than likely be home games as it usually is for UK in tournaments with the best fan support in the country.

Whats everyone else think?
Anything past the first round will be amazing.

Now, before anyone loses their mind over the comment, let me clarify that. To think that this team with a legitimate roster of 6 players can make a deep run is simply expecting too much. The top 6 on this team is extremely talented and as good as most any other team in the nation. However, in tournament time, to play with such a short number of players is putting yourself so far behind the eightball that it's just too much to overcome.

I think that they can and should win against any of the 2nd round potential opponents. But all we are is foul trouble on Jones to being exited from the tournament. Sweet 16 would be a tremendous accomplishment in itself. If they can get to the OSU game I will be extremely happy. Once there, if Knight can play his game, Miller and Lamb hit from the outside, and Jones stays on the floor, then the Cats will be a very tough game for the Buckeyes to win.
uk will have no problem with Princeton you can mark that down as a 20-30 point blowout. & as for WV lol well i dont think they will even make it past clemson. so yeah uk's chances are pretty good.:1:
I think UK will make it to the sweet 16. Losing to Ohio St. Cal will finally get the best of Huggie Bear this year.
I'm really going to hate to see this season end. I've grown very attached to this team. It's really hard to see this team getting by WVU in the second round, and even harder to beat OSU. UK is capable of it, but they will have to get a few breaks, and stay out of foul trouble to beat OSU.
With Kanter, I honestly believe this team could have went undefeated.
Stardust Wrote:Anything past the first round will be amazing.

Now, before anyone loses their mind over the comment, let me clarify that. To think that this team with a legitimate roster of 6 players can make a deep run is simply expecting too much. The top 6 on this team is extremely talented and as good as most any other team in the nation. However, in tournament time, to play with such a short number of players is putting yourself so far behind the eightball that it's just too much to overcome.

I think that they can and should win against any of the 2nd round potential opponents. But all we are is foul trouble on Jones to being exited from the tournament. Sweet 16 would be a tremendous accomplishment in itself. If they can get to the OSU game I will be extremely happy. Once there, if Knight can play his game, Miller and Lamb hit from the outside, and Jones stays on the floor, then the Cats will be a very tough game for the Buckeyes to win.
:Thumbs: I would not be shocked if Princeton upsets UK in the first round, although this does not look like a particularly strong Princeton team. If UK is hitting the threes and staying out of foul trouble, they are capable of beating anybody in the tournament. The odds of the 'Cats putting together of string of games where they do both are not very good.

I will be very happy if UK makes the Sweet 16 this season. Anything more will be a Cinderella story, IMO.
I think we have the talent to win it all and I also believe we can.

However the odds are against UK and I've picked against them in my bracket, losing in the sweet 16 to Ohio State.
I can see a sweet 16 for us, but no further.
I honestly believe this team could get beat by princeton or win it all. Its just to hard to say. It really depends on how we shoot the 3. Bad thing is, after princeton, were going to have to be shooting very good to advance each time because the caliber of competetion we will be playing game after game.
I've been doing some real deep thinking about this here lately, and I believe we can win our first and second game. One thing I don't like is the name Princeton they scare me honestly. I think we can beat them, but they just scare me those guys will come out hungry we have to be prepared for that. Then the second round game is a toss-up right now we can't look that far into the future. Something I've really been thinking about it is the Ohio St. vs UK match-up. I know I just said we can't look far into the future, but it is a intriguing match-up. I think Sullinger honestly could kill us down low, but we play great defense. With that being said we would have Diebler in fits when he tries to get his shots off. Defending Sullinger will be a tough task, but who doesn't have a hard time defending him. We have had trouble against teams with good inside game, and that is exactly what Ohio St. has. I hope we do good and get far into this tournament this year.
Honestly I think the Cats will be ok cause i have OSU getting upset by george mason cause the can ball
I have them in the sweet sixteen, however if they make it past the sweet 16 they could easily be in the final four. This team is very unpredictable one things for sure it will be exciting.
I like OSU and Sully, but to be honest I just don't feel like they have been put to a true test all season.. UK is one of those teams that will bust their chops IMO.. I see another Elite 8.. I see a meeting between us an UNC or Cuse, with that being the game we lose.
Absolutely no reason to be afraid of Princeton. They are not a good team. In fact, they are probably seeded to high at 13. Uk will cruise to a 20 point win in this game. In the second round UK fans should be rooting for a WVU rematch. Clemson reminds me of Alabama and that's not good for UK. Its all about matchups with this UK team. Its been that way all year. However, they are much more talented then WVU or Clemson and should have no problem posting an 8 - 10 point win. If they can get to the sweet sixteen and play OSU they have a punchers chance. One through six they are just as talented and more talented at the guard postions and NCAA tournament play is all about guard play. When it comes to guarding OSU, Calapari will have to pick his poison. Double down on Sullinger and hope Diebler and Craft and company are cold from the outside or let the big man have free rain inside one on one with Jorts. OSU is a lot like Vandy except Sullinger is much better than Festus of Vandy and he put up career number against UK. Jorts had no answer but UK took away Vandy's three point shooting. What do you do if your coach Calpari? If they can get past OSU and make it to the Elite Eight that is a great season in my book. I'll take whatever happens after that.
Stardust Wrote:Anything past the first round will be amazing.

Ohio State plays with a six man rotation as well. Do you think if OSU makes it out of the second round it will be amazing as well?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Ohio State plays with a six man rotation as well. Do you think if OSU makes it out of the second round it will be amazing as well?

# of players averaging minutes
:30+ UK 4 / OSU 4
:20+ UK 2 / OSU 1
:10+ UK 0 / OSU 3
:5+ UK 2 / OSU 2

OSU does get the opportunity to rest more frequently and get quality play out of those guys who do. The two players that UK have that play between 5-20 minutes give the Cats 2 PPG & 2 REB. OSU's five guys give them 15 PPG & 5 REB.

So no, it's more impressive with UK than OSU. OSU is deeper than UK, thus not as much of a surprise to me.
I don't think they will get passed Ohio State.
I'm a big faith guy. And I say if Butler can do it last year, then why can't we? We have the talent and the heart. So why not. I like our chances.
MisterPerfect Wrote:I'm a big faith guy. And I say if Butler can do it last year, then why can't we? We have the talent and the heart. So why not. I like our chances.

It could happen.
Benchwarmer Wrote:It could happen.

Indeed it can!!
MisterPerfect Wrote:Indeed it can!!

Lets get through the first game.
Benchwarmer Wrote:Lets get through the first game.

Ditto
Benchwarmer Wrote:Lets get through the first game.

That sure does not sound like the typical UK fan. Don't worry, I don't even have fears that Cal can't come up with an X's & O's plan for this game:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:That sure does not sound like the typical UK fan. Don't worry, I don't even have fears that Cal can't come up with an X's & O's plan for this game:biggrin:

Their are a bunch of commentators on ESPN saying that we could be the first upset of the NCAA Tourney.
With Princeton i see a win, although it may not be pretty.
To be honest im not sure W can get past Clemson so with that said im not sure what kind of match up we will have in the second round however i hope to get back at WV so im hopin they pull it off and we face them.
I dont see a Kansas like loss for OSU in either the first or second round, so if we do make it to the sweet 16 we will face OSU.
If were not careful i think it could get out of hand fast. It would be nice to shut sullinger down and dominate them, but it will only get harder from there on out as we will face UNC or Syracuse after that in the elite 8 which will not be easy and final four is tough no matter what.
Once again, tough draw for the cats.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Their are a bunch of commentators on ESPN saying that we could be the first upset of the NCAA Tourney.

There are also some, like Bob whoever on Around the horn that has UK going to the final four so who knows.
One things for sure the majority or ESPN hates UK as they all played at different colleges and are spiteful of UK's success and fan support that they didnt get in college basketball so i wouldnt take their word for anything.
Bolt Wrote:There are also some, like Bob whoever on Around the horn that has UK going to the final four so who knows.
One things for sure the majority or ESPN hates UK as they all played at different colleges and are spiteful of UK's success and fan support that they didnt get in college basketball so i wouldnt take their word for anything.

So true.
Bolt Wrote:There are also some, like Bob whoever on Around the horn that has UK going to the final four so who knows.

Bob Ryan does have UK going to the final four.
Everybody at ESPN does not hate UK. Do you guys just think this because their not picking us to beat OSU?
Stardust Wrote:# of players averaging minutes
:30+ UK 4 / OSU 4
:20+ UK 2 / OSU 1
:10+ UK 0 / OSU 3
:5+ UK 2 / OSU 2

OSU does get the opportunity to rest more frequently and get quality play out of those guys who do. The two players that UK have that play between 5-20 minutes give the Cats 2 PPG & 2 REB. OSU's five guys give them 15 PPG & 5 REB.

So no, it's more impressive with UK than OSU. OSU is deeper than UK, thus not as much of a surprise to me.

The avg min per game are also based on the games they actually played in. I did my research before I posted my comments, and if you would like I will break it down even further for you.

UK
Player GP Min Pts Reb
Knight 33 36 17 4
Jones 33 32 16 9
Liggins 33 31 8 4
Miller 33 31 11 5
Lamb 33 29 13 2
Harrelson 33 28 7 9
Vargas 33 8 2 2
Hood 30 5 1 1

OSU
Player GP Min Pts Reb
Diebler 34 36 12 3
Buford 33 32 14 4
Lighty 34 32 12 4
Sullinger 34 32 17 10
Craft 34 29 7 3
Lauderdale 34 16 4 3
Thomas 34 14 7 3
Sibert 23 8 2 1

From this you can tell both teams usually go no deeper than 7 players. And if you look at the bottom two out of those 7 the production is very similar. By the numbers UK and OSU are very similar.
Best Case: With their young stars growing up on national TV, the Wildcats return to the summit and win their eighth national title. Freshman Brandon Knight[/url] plays like the best NBA-prospect guard with two healthy big toes. Terrance Jones continues to be an all-court matchup problem and rebounding fool, but now takes better shots. Doron Lamb [url=http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/profile?playerId=51543]makes every open 3. Junior Darius Miller continues the late-season blossoming that made him SEC tournament MVP. Kentucky mows down Princeton, West Virginia, Ohio State, North Carolina, Duke and Kansas to win the title, cutting a wide swath through its blue-blood competition for the greatest program of all-time. John Calipari snips the nets at last, and 2,000 Kentucky families name their newborn sons Cal. To complete the rapture, Louisville loses its first game to Morehead State and Rick Pitino gets ejected. In response to rumors of interest from the New York Knicks, Kentucky gives Calipari an $8 million-a-year contract and a half-share in the Rachel Alexandra-Curlin foal and starts construction on a new 30,000-seat arena.

Worst Case: In a crushing case of déjà vu, Joe Mazzulla keys another West Virginia upset of the Wildcats -- this time in the round of 32 -- and extends Kentucky's longest-ever Final Four drought to 13 years. Bob Huggins runs his record to 9-1 against Calipari, who verbally bombs Terrence Jones again in a late-game situation. Big Blue fans who spent all week dissecting the presumptive Kentucky-Ohio State matchup have their daydreams pre-empted by the reality of Mazzulla evicting the Wildcats once more. Every key underclassman goes pro and so does Calipari, who is hired in New York to replace Mike D'Antoni after the Knicks bomb in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Louisville reaches the Final Four with no first-round draft picks.
Pages: 1 2