Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sarah Palin - 'She's becoming Al Sharpton, Alaska edition'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Sarah Palin has played the sexism card, accusing critics of chauvinism against a strong woman.
She has played the class card, dismissing the Bush family as “blue bloods” and complaining that she is the target of snobbery by people who dislike her simply because she is “not so hoity-toity.”
Most famously, she has played the victim card — never more vividly than when she invoked the loaded phrase “blood libel” against liberals and media commentators in the wake of the Gabrielle Giffords shooting.
Palin’s flamboyant rhetoric always has thrilled supporters, but lately it is coming at a new cost: a backlash, not from liberals but from some of the country’s most influential conservative commentators and intellectuals. (Related: Sarah Palin charges critics with 'blood libel')
Palin’s politics of grievance and group identity, according to these critics, is a betrayal of conservative principles. For decades, it was a standard line of the right that liberals cynically promoted victimhood to achieve their goals and that they practiced the politics of identity — race, sex and class—over ideas. (Related: Republicans learn cost of attacking Palin)
Among those taking aim at Palin in recent interviews with POLITICO are George F. Will, the elder statesman of conservative columnists; Peter Wehner, a top strategist in George W. Bush’s White House, and Heather Mac Donald, a leading voice with the right-leaning Manhattan Institute.
[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

Matt Labash, a longtime writer for the Weekly Standard, said that because of Palin’s frequent appeals to victimhood and group grievance, “She’s becoming Al Sharpton, Alaska edition.”
Conservative intellectuals, while having scant ability to drive large blocs of votes on their own, traditionally have played an outsize role in the early stages of Republican nominating contests. Their approval has lent credence to politicians from Ronald Reagan onward hoping to portray themselves as faithful adherents to an idea-driven conservative movement.

This year, the conservative intelligentsia doesn’t just tend to dislike Palin — many fear that her rise would represent the triumph of an intellectually empty brand of populism and the death of ideas as an engine of the right.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/51218
The thread title is funny. Smile

Another alternative: Sarah Palin - Duh! Winning!
I love all the hate for her. The democrats and the media are repeating themselves. This is the EXACT same things that were said about Rondald Reagan - E-X-A-C-T!

Everyone said Ronald Reagan had zero qualifications, thus he would be a complete failure to the country. Contray to those beliefs at the time, he has gone down in history with the greatest presidents of all-time. So, I need not hear what the news has to say, because they have spun more garbage than the entire Obama administration!
Why are liberals so afraid of Palin? If the left wing media would stop covering her every move she would be a non issue.
Old School Wrote:Why are liberals so afraid of Palin? If the left wing media would stop covering her every move she would be a non issue.

The right wing media keeps her alive, if only to take shots at her.
Stardust Wrote:I love all the hate for her. The democrats and the media are repeating themselves. This is the EXACT same things that were said about Rondald Reagan - E-X-A-C-T!

Everyone said Ronald Reagan had zero qualifications, thus he would be a complete failure to the country. Contray to those beliefs at the time, he has gone down in history with the greatest presidents of all-time. So, I need not hear what the news has to say, because they have spun more garbage than the entire Obama administration!

Palin = Reagan. Smile
BillyB Wrote:The right wing media keeps her alive, if only to take shots at her.

MSNBC and their puppets Mathews, O'Donnell, Maddow spend more time on Palin than all the other GOP candidates combined.
BillyB Wrote:Palin = Reagan. Smile
That would make her infinitely more qualified that Obama. Even most liberals have been forced to concede that they were totally mistaken about Reagan's effectiveness.

BTW, how's Obama's golf game coming along? It would be great if he could leave office with something to show for it besides a mountain of debt.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:That would make her infinitely more qualified that Obama. Even most liberals have been forced to concede that they were totally mistaken about Reagan's effectiveness.

BTW, how's Obama's golf game coming along? It would be great if he could leave office with something to show for it besides a mountain of debt.

What are you talking about, he's great with the Basketball brackets. Best of any president ever. Ok, Ok, so he's the only one to spend the first 48 hours since the brackets were announced with 1,000's of analysts working on all game scenario's, but he's good at it. Good thing there are no worldwide disasters going on that would take his attention to getting his bracket published in the media:popcorn:
Stardust Wrote:What are you talking about, he's great with the Basketball brackets. Best of any president ever. Ok, Ok, so he's the only one to spend the first 48 hours since the brackets were announced with 1,000's of analysts working on all game scenario's, but he's good at it. Good thing there are no worldwide disasters going on that would take his attention to getting his bracket published in the media:popcorn:
Shame on me for not giving Obama credit where it is due. I forgot about his skill in filling out an NCAA bracket. Thank you for reminding me.

I find it totally hilarious that people who voted for Barack Obama have the audacity to ridicule anybody's qualifications for office or anybody's intellect. He is the first president in generations to have trouble maintaining a warm, friendly relationship with the UK.

I cannot think of any likely candidate of either major party, with the exception of the Reverand Al, who I would not support in a campaign over Obama. His "strongly approve" number in the Rasmussen Daily Presidential poll reached 20 percent today. Still not nearly low enough, but the numbers show that even delusional liberal Democrats are starting to understand the damage that Obama is doing to this country.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:That would make her infinitely more qualified that Obama. Even most liberals have been forced to concede that they were totally mistaken about Reagan's effectiveness.

I'd try to change the subject too. Smile Especially after declaring Palin the next Reagan.
BillyB Wrote:I'd try to change the subject too. Smile Especially after declaring Palin the next Reagan.
I made a mistake and admitted it. Now it's your turn. Is it not time to admit that you would like to have that vote for Obama back? :biggrin:

After more than two years of The One's presidency, only 22 percent say that the US is headed in the right direction. I am proud to say that I felt that way on the day that he was elected and have never had second thoughts about my position.

(Actually I did not declare that Palin is the next Reagan. Reagan was much better qualified to be president than either Palin or Obama ever will be.)