Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSBCA Preseason Top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Harrison County
2. St. Xavier
3. Lexington Catholic
4. Apollo
5. Pleasure Ridge Park
6. Eastern
7. Male
8. Trinity
9. Central Hardin
10. Ballard
11. Lexington Christian
12. West Jessamine
13. Lafayette
14. Christian County
14. Henderson County
16. Henry Clay
17. Lawrence County
18. Lone Oak
19. Bryan Station
19. Clay County
19. Mercer County
22. Pikeville
23. Oldham County
24. Tates Creek
25. Warren Central

Others Receiving Votes - Russell County, Butler, Paul Dunbar, Danville, Hopkinsville, DeSales, Boone County, Madison Central, Perry County Central, Daviess County, Elizabethtown, John Hardin, Owensboro Catholic, Beechwood, Fleming County, Somerset, Boyd County, Bowling Green, Greenup County, Larue County, Simon Kenton, Ashland Blazer, Warren East, Dixie Heights, Corbin

http://khsbca.com/polls.php
Pikeville's first time in the top 25 in a while.
Breds have some great talent, but they lost a tremendous number of starters.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Pikeville's first time in the top 25 in a while.

Pikeville made semis last year and only lost 2 starters, both in the outfield. Return 7 starters and all the pitching, have Sam Burton, transfer:igiveup: and get 22 in the polls. Any other school in the state with those credentials would have been Top 10 easy. This is a joke, for example Lawrence went to finals and lost 7 starters in 2008 and were ranked Top 5 next year.

Not blaming anyone but the Mountain Coaches who do not pay the $35 dues and vote.
Commanche Wrote:Pikeville made semis last year and only lost 2 starters, both in the outfield. Return 7 starters and all the pitching, have Sam Burton, transfer:igiveup: and get 22 in the polls. Any other school in the state with those credentials would have been Top 10 easy. This is a joke, for example Lawrence went to finals and lost 7 starters in 2008 and were ranked Top 5 next year.

Not blaming anyone but the Mountain Coaches who do not pay the $35 dues and vote.
I think it is pretty fair. I was honestly expecting 15-20. Just based on people's perception from last year. I think this may be a little more realistic and manageable. There are probably 6-7 teams each in Lexington and Louisville better. Then there are probably another 8-10 better across the state. At a certain point it is very hard to differentiate teams. If you look at 15-25 and those receiving votes, they are all very good teams.

Without last year's run, they probably wouldn't be receiving votes. If the LC game last year goes a little differently, that run doesn't happen. But, that wouldn't change the talent and level of this team. It is all in perception. I think you will see a team that will expect a lot more out of themselves and hopefully earn and improve this ranking.

Consistency is the mark of a great program. The Panthers will have the chance to prove themselves with three games against teams from this top 25.

vs. #10 Ballard April 23rd
vs. #17 Lawrence County May 4th
vs. #17 Lawrence County May 12th

It is great seeing "Pikeville" up there ahead of teams like Tates Creek, Dunbar, Danville, Owensboro Catholic etc... Hopefully they start off hot and can show that they deserve this.

Just for fun. The All "A" teams would go:

1. Lexington Christian
2. Pikeville
3. Danville
4. DeSales
5. Owensboro Catholic
6. Beechwood
7. Somerset

Like I said, It is very tough to differentiate between all these teams. They all have great programs and will all battle everyday. Whoever gets hot will be the team that day.

Can't wait for the games to start flying at us.
Commanche Wrote:Pikeville made semis last year and only lost 2 starters, both in the outfield. Return 7 starters and all the pitching, have Sam Burton, transfer:igiveup: and get 22 in the polls. Any other school in the state with those credentials would have been Top 10 easy. This is a joke, for example Lawrence went to finals and lost 7 starters in 2008 and were ranked Top 5 next year.

Gosh Commanch!! The comments you made,may have a great deal of validity,however two things seem to hold a great deal of importance. The first thing is that a poll at this time of the season means next to nothing regardless of preferred positioning. Secondly,to single out a particuliar school while suggesting a much higher status for your preference than either school actually has, may sound a lot like sour grapes. You may have just stirred up
the little people and BS can't blame the water on this one. I am out of here ,I hear the footsteps.
lawrence county # 17

Pikeville # 22

haha! i guess its not just eastern kentucky who thinks this is right
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Gosh Commanch!! The comments you made,may have a great deal of validity,however two things seem to hold a great deal of importance. The first thing is that a poll at this time of the season means next to nothing regardless of preferred positioning. Secondly,to single out a particuliar school while suggesting a much higher status for your preference than either school actually has, may sound a lot like sour grapes. You may have just stirred up
the little people and BS can't blame the water on this one. I am out of here ,I hear the footsteps.

(POW)

()
()
()
()
()
()
()
()

im already here.

commanche---
is this comming from an unbiased opinion?
i think it might have to do with the fact that lc has 9 seniors, get more respect and have an all american, and throughout the past few seasons has put together big runs and stuff.
all in all it doesnt matter. preseason...

however i agree with lc being ranked ahead of pikeville in the region and that should obviously be the same for state rankings, i believe both of these teams should be ranked a little higher.
eky no support
Look for Covington Holy Cross and Newport Catholic to make some noise from the 9th Region
Im sorry but I have to agree with Commanche on this one!! Pikeville really got screwed in this poll. However, the players need to realize this is a popularity contest at this point though. It carries no credibility. If your going to take LC having 9 seniors into consideration then you need to take Pikeville taking Lexington Christian into extra innings last season into consideration? A lot of LC's ranking may also have been based off their pitching staff which took a huge hit when Sam transferred, which would once again make Pikeville that much stronger. All in all Pikeville had the better 2010 season than most of the teams ranked above them. Like Commanche said though, there is not a lot of eastern kentucky voters in this? There really needs to be another poll that carries more credibility?
Just for some clarification.

I never referenced in my thread where LC is this year. My reference to those who cannot read an entire post was to 2008 where they lost 7 seniors. If LC is ranked above us then that is the coaches(WHO VOTED OPINION) or is it the LC HYPE MACHINE. LOL just kidding.

PT as far as thinking Pikeville is world beaters, I only said based on the run and the talent that was lost last year that the ranking is low. All that is known at this time is that Pikeville only lost two players from last years State Semi Final team. They were two very good players but everyone else is a year older and should be a little better. Then throw Sam in the mix and I think we are as good as those 6-7 teams that you allude to in Lex and Louisville. This is a perception that haunts all kids from east KY. I would put Pikevilles infield, especially, against any in the state. Two of our pitchers proved their metal in the state tournament last year and they are back this year older and more experienced. College coaches feel the same way you must PT that the kids up here arent worthy. I normally agree with you, but appears you may be drinkiing the Koolaid as well.

Also LC should be ranked based on there pitching alone and I almost forgot the "ALL AMERICAN'. I think in every poll in the country that the reigning champs who made the big run in the previous years tournament would get the nod.

I realize Polls are meaningless, but RESPECT is not. If I were the Pikeville players, I would use this as motivation and put up a picture of Rodney Dangerfield in the locker room.

PS CH trying to stir up the stink are you. I never mentioned the LC ranking this year in the previous post. I like seeing any mountain team or any mountain player get a little state wide recognition. Oh yeah and national recognition in Chandler's case, he DOES deserve it in my opinion.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Gosh Commanch!! The comments you made,may have a great deal of validity,however two things seem to hold a great deal of importance. The first thing is that a poll at this time of the season means next to nothing regardless of preferred positioning. Secondly,to single out a particuliar school while suggesting a much higher status for your preference than either school actually has, may sound a lot like sour grapes. You may have just stirred up

No sour grapes, but if you can name me another mountain school that has gone that far I would gladly use it as well. You probably dont remember but the year after the run in 2008( which if you would have read 2008 before breaking a keyboard trying to call me out), LC was ranked not only Top 5 in the state but Top 25 in the region nationally. They had lost 7 or 8 starters that season to graduation. I have followed the mountain teams since the late 90's and was only using them as an example as that was the only one available to prove a point.

Mountain teams and mountain players get no respect unless they do what Chandler has done and that is get out of here to play some baseball where you are not judged by your birth place.
The first thing is that I called noone out. You were given credit for for validity of position in my previous post. It is, as I have said previously, absolutely meaningless to have a poll prior to the beginning of the season. You talk about the "Respect" issue. Do you feel that either of these teams will fail to respect the other? That Sir is an important issue. Now as to the "Sour Grapes" thing. When expressing displeasure with ordinal positioning and using what may(may) be Metaphoric expression ie:Joke/Lawrence co.in the same sentence;confusion sometimes happens. I do not feel that you meant to do that.This is in retrospect. Oh by the way you ask for another East Ky Team. Charlie Adkins was building a State Championship before Pikeville and Lawrence had baseball gloves. I guess you know where my feelings hit or Do you?:biggrin:A lot of my quality time was spent with A guy by the name of Ford Ferguson about middle way of the last century.:biggrin:
[quote=Panther Thunder]Just for fun. The All "A" teams would go:

1. Lexington Christian
2. Pikeville
3. Danville
4. DeSales
5. Owensboro Catholic
6. Beechwood
7. Somerset

QUOTE]

I would probably put Middlesboro in there as well. While they did get beat by Clay County in the regional semis last year, they did manage to make it to the All "A" Elite Eight as well as the All "A" Final Four the year before. Year in and year out, they are one of the top class A schools in the state.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:The first thing is that I called noone out. You were given credit for for validity of position in my previous post. It is, as I have said previously, absolutely meaningless to have a poll prior to the beginning of the season. You talk about the "Respect" issue. Do you feel that either of these teams will fail to respect the other? That Sir is an important issue. Now as to the "Sour Grapes" thing. When expressing displeasure with ordinal positioning and using what may(may) be Metaphoric expression ie:Joke/Lawrence co.in the same sentence;confusion sometimes happens. I do not feel that you meant to do that.This is in retrospect. Oh by the way you ask for another East Ky Team. Charlie Adkins was building a State Championship before Pikeville and Lawrence had baseball gloves. I guess you know where my feelings hit or Do you?:biggrin:A lot of my quality time was spent with A guy by the name of Ford Ferguson about middle way of the last century.:biggrin:

Again and for the last time 2008 Lawrence Co.

I posed the question since the late 90's, Bob pm'd me and reminded me of Johnson Central in 2004 and they were subsequently ranked 12 in 2005. I should have remembered this one. Charlie Adkins was an Icon and always will be in East Kentucky Baseball, but I doubt any of us remember the subsequent ranking of them or what they lost. Paintsville has to be considered the all time best baseball program in the 15th region if you consider the state championship and the number of regions won.

My point was mainly that the 15th region and 16th region coaches are historically the least interested in joining the Coaches association and that is in large part the cause of this. The 57th historically has all there coaches join. But the 58th, 59th, and 60th is a joke with only Belfry and Pikeville consistently joining. For those that dont know, they only get to vote if they pay.

I in no way disrespect Lawrence County, as I have been friends with Travis, Randy and many of there parents probably longer than you.

What exactly are you saying in my Bold Print? I am confused.
Corbin has absolutely no argument for being voted for.
In my thoughts........Pikeville really got jewed out of this one. Lawrence got beat of of the Region Semi's yet their ranked 17? This was for sureeeeee a coaches poll. As for PIKEVILLE, I believe Burton was a great addition to the pitching rotation and a tremendous outfielder, as well as the new Ward kid who transfered. I look for this years team to be badd to the core. Im excited to watch them play Ballard as well, Panther Thunder !!!!!
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:[quote=Panther Thunder]Just for fun. The All "A" teams would go:

1. Lexington Christian
2. Pikeville
3. Danville
4. DeSales
5. Owensboro Catholic
6. Beechwood
7. Somerset

QUOTE]

I would probably put Middlesboro in there as well. While they did get beat by Clay County in the regional semis last year, they did manage to make it to the All "A" Elite Eight as well as the All "A" Final Four the year before. Year in and year out, they are one of the top class A schools in the state.
I was just listing the teams as they were ranked in this poll. Middlesboro did not appear. The 15th winner will likely face theBoro in the All "A" Sectionals and will have a game on their hands. The jackets have a solid program and will give anyone a good game on a good day.
Commanche Wrote:Just for some clarification.

I never referenced in my thread where LC is this year. My reference to those who cannot read an entire post was to 2008 where they lost 7 seniors. If LC is ranked above us then that is the coaches(WHO VOTED OPINION) or is it the LC HYPE MACHINE. LOL just kidding.

PT as far as thinking Pikeville is world beaters, I only said based on the run and the talent that was lost last year that the ranking is low. All that is known at this time is that Pikeville only lost two players from last years State Semi Final team. They were two very good players but everyone else is a year older and should be a little better. Then throw Sam in the mix and I think we are as good as those 6-7 teams that you allude to in Lex and Louisville. This is a perception that haunts all kids from east KY. I would put Pikevilles infield, especially, against any in the state. Two of our pitchers proved their metal in the state tournament last year and they are back this year older and more experienced. College coaches feel the same way you must PT that the kids up here arent worthy. I normally agree with you, but appears you may be drinkiing the Koolaid as well.

Also LC should be ranked based on there pitching alone and I almost forgot the "ALL AMERICAN'. I think in every poll in the country that the reigning champs who made the big run in the previous years tournament would get the nod.

I realize Polls are meaningless, but RESPECT is not. If I were the Pikeville players, I would use this as motivation and put up a picture of Rodney Dangerfield in the locker room.

PS CH trying to stir up the stink are you. I never mentioned the LC ranking this year in the previous post. I like seeing any mountain team or any mountain player get a little state wide recognition. Oh yeah and national recognition in Chandler's case, he DOES deserve it in my opinion.
Fair enough. Good Post. I think we both realize that perception is 95% of this poll. I think that I did kind of concede the fact that EKY is normally not respected and that is why I am not shocked and think it is fair considering the circumstances. And we can both agree that this is meaningless in the big picture and we will have the opportunity to improve upon this initial ranking as the season progresses.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Fair enough. Good Post. I think we both realize that perception is 95% of this poll. I think that I did kind of concede the fact that EKY is normally not respected and that is why I am not shocked and think it is fair considering the circumstances. And we can both agree that this is meaningless in the big picture and we will have the opportunity to improve upon this initial ranking as the season progresses.

I agree, winning last year doesnt get you any wins this year. I hope the Pikeville players realize this and dont overlook anyone. Also, I think Pikeville just woke up the Lawrence County Bulldogs and will not get overlooked by them. We took what they think belonged to them. This should be an exciting battle when we face them.

The 2005 team got ranked as high as 12th, I really thought we would beat that in the pre-season poll. Oh well lets just playem and see where we fall. It is where you end up in June, not where you start out in March.
Commanche Wrote:I agree, winning last year doesnt get you any wins this year. I hope the Pikeville players realize this and dont overlook anyone. Also, I think Pikeville just woke up the Lawrence County Bulldogs and will not get overlooked by them. We took what they think belonged to them. This should be an exciting battle when we face them.

The 2005 team got ranked as high as 12th, I really thought we would beat that in the pre-season poll. Oh well lets just playem and see where we fall. It is where you end up in June, not where you start out in March.
Amen.

I thought that was how high the 2005 team got. I was going to reference it in my original post, but was not positive. I had such a great time following that team. Real baseball players, just like this year.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Amen.

I thought that was how high the 2005 team got. I was going to reference it in my original post, but was not positive. I had such a great time following that team. Real baseball players, just like this year.

Amen, a lot of fun times in the last 10 years or so.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Amen.

If you think it was a lot of fun watching them, you should have spent a lot of time with them. That was certainly a great group of kids. I knew just about all of them almost as well as I knew my own sons. I certainly spent enough time with them traveling all over the country. Not only was that a great Pikeville team, but the 2004 and 2005 seasons I think produced the very best group of teams in the history of the 15th region. Johnson Central, Paintsville, Sheldon Clark, Pikeville and Allen Central were all ranked in the state polls those two years. Perhaps there has been a single team better than that era's group (the '78, '89 & '90 Paintsville squads no doubt have to come to mind) but I doubt that there was ever been the balance of power in the region that there was during that two year span. That had to be the pinnacle of 15th region baseball history. Also if things were set up like they are now, you would have the Stevie Blevins/Michael Compton lead LC team in the 15th as well. As much as the LC kiddies want to bally-hoo about the 2008 squad they would have been just one of the pack competing with those 2004 and '05 teams in the 15th region during that time.
Commanche Wrote:Again and for the last time 2008 Lawrence Co.

I posed the question since the late 90's, Bob pm'd me and reminded me of Johnson Central in 2004 and they were subsequently ranked 12 in 2005. I should have remembered this one. Charlie Adkins was an Icon and always will be in East Kentucky Baseball, but I doubt any of us remember the subsequent ranking of them or what they lost. Paintsville has to be considered the all time best baseball program in the 15th region if you consider the state championship and the number of regions won.

My point was mainly that the 15th region and 16th region coaches are historically the least interested in joining the Coaches association and that is in large part the cause of this. The 57th historically has all there coaches join. But the 58th, 59th, and 60th is a joke with only Belfry and Pikeville consistently joining. For those that dont know, they only get to vote if they pay.

I in no way disrespect Lawrence County, as I have been friends with Travis, Randy and many of there parents probably longer than you.

What exactly are you saying in my Bold Print? I am confused.

Mike Hall being the exception.
Bob Seger Wrote:If you think it was a lot of fun watching them, you should have spent a lot of time with them. That was certainly a great group of kids. I knew just about all of them almost as well as I knew my own sons. I certainly spent enough time with them traveling all over the country.
I have worked with Cory Hamilton and Brandt Spears as umpires. They are great to hang out with and talk with. Weston Robinson helped coach an all-star team I played on and was a great motivator. You just wanted to played hard for a guy like that. He is also a pretty funny guy to talk to. Corey Miller is at a lot of the games watching Gavin. You are correct, a great group of guys.
If I was a baseball player, this poll wouldn't matter to me. Polls don't determine a winner, or a loser for that matter. Just because Harrison County is ranked number 1 in the preseason doesn't necessarily mean they are going to win the state championship again. It's just a poll guys. Don't even worry about it. Stop crying about Pikeville's spot in the top 25. If they are as good as everyone says they are, then they shouldn't have any trouble competing with anyone in the state, let along the "holy" top 25 preseason ranking.

And I'm not saying that Pikeville doesn't deserve a higher ranking; I;m just saying that it don't matter about rankings when your having an awesome game or your pitcher is a stud.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I have worked with Cory Hamilton and Brandt Spears as umpires. They are great to hang out with and talk with. Weston Robinson helped coach an all-star team I played on and was a great motivator. You just wanted to played hard for a guy like that. He is also a pretty funny guy to talk to. Corey Miller is at a lot of the games watching Gavin. You are correct, a great group of guys.

How about this talented bunch to go with those you just named.

Justin Anderson
Wade McCowan
Hunter Smith
Chad Walls
Brenton Hamilton
Josh Adams
Chase Huffman
(cant forget the infamous Cullen Hall) lol

Great team.
Dont leave out Josh Chaffin either, never forget when he was in a slump. He said that he would castrate himself if he didnt get a hit in his next at bat. He handed the coach a knife when he went ot the plate. Luckily he got a hit. LOL